Goodbye 2023

DavidB6937

Before we all go mental getting drunk at various parties.. or probably something more rock n roll like falling asleep on the sofa after a decent takeaway and Powerwash Simulator session.. I just wanted to say thank you.

2023 has been an absolute cunt on a personal level but every day this place has been here to escape to. You're a great bunch of decent folk and even though I don't know any of you personally, I really enjoy our discussions and so many of the detailed posts. I'm always learning stuff around here or laughing at stupid shit or surprised at just how supportive people can be to strangers.

So here's to another year survived. 2024 will continue to be tough for me but I'm grateful to have this place to help. It certainly makes me feel less alone and that's something I'll always appreciate.

Wishing you all the best for 2024 and hope you have fun whatever you do tonight.

In 2023 I...
Did some comedy gigs as per.
Sometimes felt really great.
Sometimes felt really sad. Good ole cripplin depression.
Walked my sister down the aisle for her wedding.
Lost my job.
FELL IN LOVE ❤️
Started criss-crossing to France on the reg.
Became stepdad to two dogs, a cat and a goat.
Went even more grey.
Adopted a 30cm blood clot in my leg.
Never stopped looking hot 🔥

Edited by Chili

29 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

For what it’s worth, I always enjoy your posts on here. Whether I agree with you or disagree with you (or neither) you always have something worth reading to say, and you always come across as a brilliant person. Here’s hoping 2024 is a better year for you. 

Ditto. 

Hanging out with my family tonight which makes it a whole hell of a lot better than last year. I don't normally hold much truck with New Years but for the year it's been and how much I'm looking forward to the fresh start I'm definitely ritualising it a bit this time around to take it out of being arbitrary and into being a wee launch pad and just a good old Gregorian excuse to try and feel good I suppose. 

Have a good one whatever you're up to, UKFF. 

If anyone needs any ideas always remember if you play Blind by Korn at 11:59:09 Jonathan Davies will say "ARE YOU READY?!" at midnight. 

Happy Nu Year! 

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

Became stepdad to two dogs, a cat and a goat.

That sounds amazing! I grew up in a VERY rural community, and hand-rearing lambs, pigs and even chickens that were either rejected by their parents was pretty normal to me. It was only when I moved to a city that I realised how different my childhood was. At some point in the next decade I want to go back to that kind of lifestyle, but it sounds like you’re not far away from it! Happy new year to you, your significant other and your animal family!

Just now, RedRooster said:

That sounds amazing! I grew up in a VERY rural community, and hand-rearing lambs, pigs and even chickens that were either rejected by their parents was pretty normal to me. It was only when I moved to a city that I realised how different my childhood was. At some point in the next decade I want to go back to that kind of lifestyle, but it sounds like you’re not far away from it! Happy new year to you, your significant other and your animal family!

They belong to my girlfriend. She lives in Bord St. Georges in France. Middle of nowhere. I forgot how nice silence actually sounds away from Manchester.

• Paid Members

Happy New Years everyone!

This is going to sound a lot more miserable than it is, but I feel like each year my life is just the same. That's not to say it's bad or anything, but just each year the core aspects I want to change never do.
Never get any richer, I have what all things considered should be a great job (company treats me really well, 3 days from home, nice office, OK pay, etc) but honestly just don't enjoy working, still haven't lost weight, and I think at this point we've resigned ourselves to not having kids as we both approach our mid 30s. Some of these things I know I could change but just don't have the energy.
My home life is a happy one but I just feel like I've stagnated since my mid 20s and I'm never sure what to do with myself. Really wish I just had the energy and get-up-and-go to do anything.

I'm also glad to see the back of 2023, on the whole it's been a complete garbage fire of a year and 2024 looks to be shaping up to be a difficult one too.

This place is always a nice little welcome break from reality and you guys always put a little smile on my face. All the best to you wonderful lot for 2024.

• Paid Members

HNY folks! 

This is going to sound a bit wanky but one of the things me and some mates have been doing recently is being an ‘accountability partner’ for each other (I need a better name because it sounds really menacing). At the moment we’re doing it for stuff like exercise and DuoLingo. Nothing too intense, just checking in each other and giving each other a little encouragement. 

I’m on a mission to be healthier in 2024 and I work fully remotely now, so I need to get out of the bubble, off my arse and get my steps in and the like. 

If anyone’s up for being an AP for anything let me know. I’m determined to give the running another go - I keep having g so many false starts with Couch to 5K, I think I just need to get off my arse and actually try a 5K and just do it. I’ve been looking at Parkrun - they’re free and you don’t have to even run, you could walk if you choose. 

Here’s one for you - I’m going to try and make an effort to properly reconnect with one person each week. It could be an old mate from uni, an old colleague, etc. Doesn’t mean dropping everything to meet up with them but just reaching out, reminisce about old times and maybe schedule a meet up for later in the year etc. 

Also 2024 is going to be the year I go balls out on my little YouTube odyssey and really try and make something of it. I was trying out some new branding concepts, decided they were shit and focussed on generating new content ideas instead and now I’m super pumped.

My already bad health nosedived this year, lost loads of weight with no explanation, loads of tests and drugs and constant pain (is all my brain and body needs etc). There’s no “Obvious cancer” but I need a stick to walk otherwise I look like a drunk Ian Curtis the way my limbs spasm everywhere. On the plus side though my body is only going to degenerate and the pain will be constant with some days not being able to get out of bed. 

Another bonus though, all the codiene I’ve been taking means my farts have been glorious. Can release them at full pelt with no change of follow through so every cloud and all that! Dead soon. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

On the whole it's been pretty quiet, especially compared to the last three years which have all been dreadful for Covid or personal reasons. So I'll take it.

I'm lined up to be diagnosed several hundred things in 2024 so that should make the next one interesting!(?)

2023 was the year I welcomed my third daughter to the world

moved out of my uncles and into a new home with my partner. 

Joined a running club and subsequently ran 600+ miles this year as well as finally snagging a PB of 19.19 for 5km race. 

Began learning Yiddish on Duolingo. 

Some parts were shit but I try not to let the negatives become part of the narrative. 

All the best to you and yours my dear dear friends.