AEW World's End 2023 discussion

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

This is tonight. The card:

• 20-man Battle Royal for a future AEW TNT Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match)
  • Kris Statlander vs. Willow Nightingale (Zero Hour pre-show match)
  • Hook (c) vs. Wheeler Yuta – FTW Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match)
  • Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston – Championship Final of the AEW Continental Classic for the inaugural AEW Triple Crown Championship
  • Julia Hart (c) vs. Abadon – AEW TBS Championship match
  • “Timeless” Toni Storm (c) vs. Riho – AEW Women’s World Championship match
  • Chris Jericho, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara and Sting vs. The Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher and Powerhouse Hobbs), Big Bill and Ricky Starks
  • Christian Cage (c) vs. Adam Copeland – No Disqualification match for the AEW TNT Championship
  • Keith Lee vs. Swerve Strickland
  • Miro vs. Andrade El Idolo
  • Blackpool Combat Club (Claudio Castagnoli and Bryan Danielson), Mark Briscoe and Daniel Garcia vs. Brody King, Jay White, Jay Lethal and Rush
  • MJF (c) vs. Samoa Joe – AEW World Championship match

I'm sure it'll be a good show though I'm not hugely hyped for it outside of the Continental Classic final. The big CC 8 man and Cage/Copeland should be fantastic. 

Putting Statlander in a babyface vs babyface match in her hometown is terrible booking. In fact putting two incredibly likeable babyfaces with great chemistry against eachother without a decent story behind it is terrible booking anyway.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

• Miro vs. Andrade El Idolo

This should be a 'winner gets released' match, they would put some serious effort in. In all seriousness, this has the potential to be either and absolute belter or a stinker, either way, it'll be interesting to see.

One of those cards where I'm sure everything will deliver but I don't care about most of it.

Please get the title off MJF. Let him move on in his stupid Devil storyline without the belt and give me Joe in some solid matches against Hangman and the like. 

Swerve deserves better.

I'm 100000% behind Eddie. Come on man.

• Paid Members

I just came here to create a post, got the match graphics ready, a funny pun title and @LaGoosh beat me to it!

I am actually really looking forward to the PPV. AEW PPV's usually deliver and while the time in between Full Gear and Worlds End has been full of a lot of ups, as well as some downs, I am excited for this. 

• 20-man Battle Royal for a future AEW TNT Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match) Hard to predict who will win this when we don't know who is in it. But am hoping for someone like Jay White to win here due to the stipulation. 
  • Kris Statlander vs. Willow Nightingale (Zero Hour pre-show match) They usually put on a good showing, so excited to see this, though not sure what this is for exactly, unless this is to throw out a Willow turn (joining the HOB spin off group) or if Kris does and lands with Stokely
  • Hook (c) vs. Wheeler Yuta – FTW Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match) A match which the outcome seems inevitable, but I think it will be a good match none the less and be interesting to see how these too match up.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston – Championship Final of the AEW Continental Classic for the inaugural AEW Triple Crown Championship It's got to be Eddie's night surely. I said at the beginning I had hoped for a Swerve/Eddie final with Swerve winning, but I am convinced he is being set up for the World title now. Absolutely hoping this is the feel good moment of the night.
  • Julia Hart (c) vs. Abadon – AEW TBS Championship match I have enjoyed this short feud. I can't see Julia dropping the title here, but I think it will still be a good match
  • “Timeless” Toni Storm (c) vs. Riho – AEW Women’s World Championship match This could be the sleeper of the show. I think they will put on a great match, but it is too soon for my dear Toni to drop the title me thinks
  • Chris Jericho, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara and Sting vs. The Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher Takeshita and Powerhouse Hobbs), Big Bill and Ricky Starks Speaking of recent lows, the proposed match filled me with dread. Jerricho needs to take a month or two off at this point, go away heat. The addition of Derby and Sting, whilst making no sense, at least makes this something I may watch rather then skip through.
  • Christian Cage (c) vs. Adam Copeland – No Disqualification match for the AEW TNT Championship Christian's run this year has been nothing short of remarkable. Whether it has been bringing up opponents dead dads, or his run of decent title defenses and his "GFYS" to Adam Copeland, it has been a great year. But after losing to him already I can see Adam dethroning Christian here, although there is the chance the no DQ stipulation comes in to assist Christian in some way. 
  • Keith Lee vs. Swerve Strickland A year coming. I see this being a great match that will continue the rise of Swerve and carry him into 2024 for the title run.
  • Miro vs. Andrade El Idolo Has anyone had a run in AEW as disappointing as Miro? Yeah, Andrade, but at least with his recent showing in the CC he's looked impressive again and showing why people have been hyped for him. Miro on the other hand looks to be another sulker on the roster who has managed to get his wife in to repeat the last storyline he was in before he left WWE. The suggestion of loser leaves AEW would actually be pretty cool, but I see more upside in Andrade staying than I do Miro. I think this will be another sleeper decent match on the card.
  • Blackpool Combat Club (Claudio Castagnoli and Bryan Danielson), Mark Briscoe and Daniel Garcia vs. Brody King, Jay White, Jay Lethal and Rush A no stakes match, but I am sure with the talent involved it will be a decent match.
  • MJF (c) vs. Samoa Joe – AEW World Championship match And here we go. They put on a great match at Dynamite Grand Slam, so match wise I expect another great one. Will the devil be revealed and cost MJF the match? I think so. I know MJF's reign has been hit and miss at times, but I think it's been enjoyable for the most part and led to some of my favourite moments of the year, as well as show the range MJF has as a performer with both heel and face work. But he's banged up, the devil storyline looks like it is (finally) drawing to a close, and it is time for a new champ. Samoa Joe as a world champion was not on my bingo card, and may have seemed silly or desperate a year ago, but hes had a low key great year and I think a short run as world champion would be fitting (before he drops it to Swerve at the next PPV of course).

THE DEVIL WILL BE.... Adam Cole and his minions Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reily and Wardlow. 
  • Does MJF Stay or Go? I think he is staying, but I predict we won't see him again until Double or Nothing, though he will announce his position on the next Dynamite about re-signing.
Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, mrtrickio said:

Card subject to change... It's now Takeshita in place of Kyle Fletcher

It's odd because when it was first announced I thought Takeshita shouldn't be the odd man out, but then figured Fletcher is the one that will be taking the fall. 

55 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Swerve deserves better.

He does, but at least this puts a bow on something that should have been wrapped long ago. He'll win and then (hopefully) be moved right into the title picture come Wednesday. 

I definitely think cm punk takes the top prize for most disappointing run in AEW lmao and will never be beaten.

Won't be watching live as it's New year's eve tomorrow but I'll check bits out tomorrow. I am pretty certain the belt is coming off MJF tonight I read a article today saying he is aware of the backlash with his reign and thinks it's starting to hurt his character now so it's time.

• Paid Members

I would love to see Joe as champion. Hook Vs Wheeler could be a heck of a match. Might see whether I can give it a watch, or at least start watching tonight and finish in the morning.

• Paid Members

If the Devil ends up screwing Max out of the belt then I will concede it's the worst storyline of the year

Edit: and surely the smart thing to do if you're TK is pull the Jericho match, right? You're not announcing his guilt, you're just buying yourself time to figure it out and it means you don't risk being booed or heckled out of the building on a sting match.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members

Think Copeland wins the match against Christian tonight and is cashed in on instantly after, maybe a returning Jungle Boy?

The stipulation I'm sure read a title shot any time, any place so that kinda gives way for a cash in on someone who made a career out of cashing in at opportune times.

• Paid Members
  • 20-man Battle Royal for a future AEW TNT Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match) - Don't know, doesn't matter. A heel, to challenge the new baby face champion. . . 
  • Kris Statlander vs. Willow Nightingale (Zero Hour pre-show match) I won't see it as I don't watch the zero hour portions, but guessing Willow. 
  • Hook (c) vs. Wheeler Yuta – FTW Championship match (Zero Hour pre-show match) Hook is bound to win this, but again as above, It'll not be something I'll be searching out. 
  • Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston – Championship Final of the AEW Continental Classic for the inaugural AEW Triple Crown Championship. It's Eddie's big night. The one we thought it might have been around the first Grand Slam show. The atmosphere will be there all the way for this one. 
  • Julia Hart (c) vs. Abadon – AEW TBS Championship match
  • Timeless” Toni Storm (c) vs. Riho – AEW Women’s World Championship match. Like the Julia Hart match, it's too soon to be moving the belts away from either. 
  • Chris Jericho, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara and Sting vs. The Don Callis Family (Takeshita and Powerhouse Hobbs), Big Bill and Ricky Starks. It's a shame Sting is on the same side as the rest of those bellends. Sting is going over, the rest are just trying to ride his surfboard. We know he's unlikely to face any punishments, but it'd be nice if Jericho wasn't immediately rewarded in the wake of what has come to light. If it weren't for Sting on one side of the equation here, this should be a clear win for the heels. 
  • Christian Cage (c) vs. Adam Copeland – No Disqualification match for the AEW TNT Championship. It's a shame it's coming already, but I'd expect that's it for Christian's run with the gold. It's usually a hot potato belt though, so he may have it back after the rubber match. 
  • Keith Lee vs. Swerve Strickland This is a penalty kick. A necessary match, and win, for Swerve on the way to the big time. 
  • Miro vs. Andrade El Idolo. I wouldn't to it, but I think Miro goes over here. He's been a bust. Andrade, when around and used, has shown that he has something worth investing in. Miro meanwhile, as good as he can be, I think the majority of his problems are his own. I get the feeling he's difficult to work with, more than most, and increasingly that the terrible storylines with his wife, in both promotions, are all his idea. Let Miro out of his contract and make a deal with Andrade that you'll get behind him with something solid every week with purpose, for three months. If at that point either party are unhappy? Call it quits. 
  • Blackpool Combat Club (Claudio Castagnoli and Bryan Danielson), Mark Briscoe and Daniel Garcia vs. Brody King, Jay White, Jay Lethal and Rush. A win for the heels? Faces? Tweeners? One of my biggest irks these days with AEW is this shades of grey shite. Brian Danielson is a heel. He's seemed like a prick almost his entire AEW run, aside from maybe the MJF program. I'm not on with this flip flopping every other match. This should be a wild, exciting spectacle - but the roles here should really be Rush/Andrade/Briscoe/Garcia v BCC/Brodie King/Jay White - with Lethal and Miro on the pre show in that 'loser leaves AEW' match that people were talking about. Ending in a double count out. 
  • MJF (c) vs. Samoa Joe – AEW World Championship match. If there's any justice in the world, we get: The end of this Devil nonsense, another tasty match between these two, MJF can take some time off to heal and Joe gets a short run with the belt - before it goes to Swerve then Ospreay. There's time for Joe to hold it until Revolution. MJF can return at Revolution to chase off Adam Cole, who might be in the process of cashing in his big, golden, polystyrene donut against Copeland for the TNT belt. 

• Paid Members

The most damming thing about The Devil storyline is that when it should be reaching fever pitch in terms of intrigue and excitement, there’s a tangible sense of, “just fucking get on with it already.” From the sounds of things, even Max and the company themselves want it to end already. Tony all but promised in the media call that we’ll see the reveal tonight.

Get the belt on Joe. Have Adam Cole pull the mask off. Do some type of angle that puts MJF out long enough to heal his injuries and wash off the stink of this storyline. Max can come back for revenge against Adam whenever the ankle is properly healed. In the meantime, Joe can feud with Hangman, Kingston, Danielson, etc. It’ll rule.