AEW World's End 2023 discussion

LaGoosh

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Get the belt on Joe. Have Adam Cole pull the mask off. Do some type of angle that puts MJF out long enough to heal his injuries and wash off the stink of this storyline. Max can come back for revenge against Adam whenever the ankle is properly healed. In the meantime, Joe can feud with Hangman, Kingston, Danielson, etc. It’ll rule.

Without wanting to get too much into fantasy booking - if it does go down with Joe winning, Cole being revealed and them writing off MJF for a while.. what do you do with Cole next? You'd think the logical next step would be him wanting to go after the title himself but a Joe/Cole feud would be a bit of an odd dynamic. I'd much rather Joe went against strong babyfaces like Hangman and Kingston. But yeah, I'm almost at a loss to what you do with Cole next.

18 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Keith Lee v. Swerve is never going to happen. At least not this year. As Keith is out due to injury with Dustin Rhodes replacing him.

That really sucks for Keith Lee. I'm guessing his health is a bit of a mare with not being cleared. I really like the fella and if this is so then it's a shame he keeps hitting these roadblocks to be honest. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Duke said:

If the Devil ends up screwing Max out of the belt then I will concede it's the worst storyline of the year

So why attack Jay White then? 

I can only assume Max's injuries are worse than expected and he needs some proper time off, so needed to lose, but that's grasping at straws. Glad we can move on to the proper story now.

• Paid Members

Joe was fantastic in the presser afterwards. Just an absolutely top bloke who is rightly where he should be. He was thrown a question about being left out and being a commentator in WWE and instead of taking a swing and a jab at the opposition, he decided to use the opportunity to advise people to ensure they are taking time to heal their injuries etc.

Mega pleased that they have actually given him the big one and hopefully he gets a good run with it.

No idea where they go from here with the Cole and co now that it looks like MJF is taking time off. Surely you can't turn Bullet Club Gold face just yet, especially as they haven't really referenced the beat down since it happened. Alternatively, if they start fannying around with The Acclaimed, the midcard is calling, and it'll be difficult to keep them hot enough (debatable as to whether they are hot right now) and there won't be much clamour for MJF to get his revenge upon return.

Another thing about the presser afterwards, surely it's time to knock them on the head? From Punk and his muffins, to Tony discussing serious allegations while dressed in a funny hat and glasses, they don't really benefit the company as a whole.

17 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Another thing about the presser afterwards, surely it's time to knock them on the head? From Punk and his muffins, to Tony discussing serious allegations while dressed in a funny hat and glasses, they don't really benefit the company as a whole.

The press scrums are - unintentionally - one of the best things AEW has brought to this industry. They force accountability in a way the industry hasn’t ever experienced before, likely allowing people - men - to get away with some truly awful things. If Khan ends up squirming a bit because of them, that’s really on him. Hopefully the discomfort will force him to do better if a situation like this happens again. I don’t want them to go anywhere.

As far as the allegations go, the problem with how this was made public means there’s a complete absence of context. There’s obviously a worst case scenario, but there’s also a possibility that a man who hasn’t quite come to terms with his own age interpreted respect or friendship as romantic interest and any room invite was misinterpreted and not the product of intentional deception. We just don’t know - and it’s potentially put Kylie Rae in a very challenging position, and certainly an unfair one. 

In the grand scheme of AEW, I don’t know if any of that even matters; given the reverence shown to people like Ric Flair and Mike Tyson. Khan has already demonstrated a willingness to ignore these things. There’s already a dark shadow cast over the company. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

An incredible tournament with the perfect winner.

It was Gooshy, but there is a caveat to this. The wrestling was mostly great, and the final was wonderful with the right man winning. The purpose of the tournament was undercut though. This was supposed to be about creating a triple crown of titles and actually simplifying the title scene in AEW. Instead announcing thst the ROH and New Japan Openweight titles can be defended separately as well as the Continental Classic title. That really just adds to the melange of titles defended on AEW TV, and they need another title like Bryan Danielson needs another injury. 

4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Instead announcing thst the ROH and New Japan Openweight titles can be defended separately as well as the Continental Classic title. 

No... they didn't... did they?

I'm not getting chance to see the show in full until next week, so don't know, but the whole point was this would create one single title wasn't it?

Fuck sake.

Props to Wardlow for the 'I'm in London' fake out, but doesn't feel like his career has progressed much. Still just the muscle in a faction.

I'm glad The Devil stuff is over, I'm glad it's Adam Cole but there's still no obvious route for this story given both Cole and MJF have significant injuries. It felt a bit like the ending to Lost, in that in Episode 1 everyone said 'oh its purgatory/Adam Cole', and then we had to wait seasons/months of bad TV to find out it was in fact purgatory/Adam Cole.

Oh well.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It was Gooshy, but there is a caveat to this. The wrestling was mostly great, and the final was wonderful with the right man winning. The purpose of the tournament was undercut though. This was supposed to be about creating a triple crown of titles and actually simplifying the title scene in AEW. Instead announcing thst the ROH and New Japan Openweight titles can be defended separately as well as the Continental Classic title. That really just adds to the melange of titles defended on AEW TV, and they need another title like Bryan Danielson needs another injury. 

Ha, really? I missed that. That's dumb and confusing. Having the Triple Crown and TNT titles as the Collision belts and the World and International as the Dynamite belts made sense to me, now I don't know what to think.

Great main event, one that could have been put together in any wrestling era since the 80s and the audience would get it.  Wrestling 101 - heel dominance, fiery babyface comeback, and a definitive choke out finish to put the new champ over strong.

The issue Joe has perennially suffered from is, because he's rarely been given the heavyweight title, his gimmick of "dominant badarse" always got undercut by losses.  Now he's THE champ, I hope he gets to be a proper dominant, monster heel for a bit.  2024 should be his year, at least until MJF is healthy again. Hell, feed him a few heels as well, Joe is very popular and can easily make that work.

They also finished the Devil story in the most logical way, but God knows where this new faction goes from here.  Cole is injured and so is MJF, so how does this work?  Also - was that Wardlow?? He doesn't even LOOK like Wardlow any more, I genuinely didn't recognise him.