AEW World's End 2023 discussion

LaGoosh

That was a slog to get through.

I haven't watched the pre-show yet. Not sure i'm going to anytime soon. Saw on the reports there was a Serena Deeb return vignette. I'm glad to hear she's progressed to the point where she can return. Mariah May and Megan Bayne signed with debuts in the new year. Thunder Rosa's return is still fresh with Hayter, Deeb, Sakazaki and Baker to come in as well. There's some promise there, with no excuses that there isn't depth.

The opener was good. They got that right. Downhill from here.

Out of the misfit toys that returned with Collision, Andrade has been the best of them. That's a low bar admittedly. The mini-feud with HoB. Some decent matches. The C2 run. Return to CMLL. It was all looking good and before the show I saw the rumour about him. Which gave the match a Goldberg v. Lesnar type vibe to me. Two people that don't want to be there.

Toni Storm v. Riho didn't really click. The match they had earlier in the year was better.

I thought Swerve v. Dustin would be an improvement over the Keith Lee match. Then we had the angle to start. Keith Lee's gonna come down now, we've all been had. Then maybe someone else is coming down. Nope, a long tedious match takes place with the injured Dustin. Was this meant as a shot at Keith Lee?

Might be the first Sting match in AEW i've hated. Starts with Jericho and trying gauge the crowd reaction. At first it seemed mixed and as the song went on it kept cutting to the crowd singing along. I just couldn't get into it. Hurt by the lack of chemistry, lack of plunder, and being several steps off the opening 8-man tag.

Julia Hart v. Abadon. If you saw that match listing on an episode of Dark at least you know it would only go 3-4 minutes. They got time and no one really stood out.

Edge v. Christian Cage. This was good and the title win for Edge was a nice surprise. Then the post-match happened and it ruined it for me. Killswitch with the contract I thought the surprise would be a Jack Perry return, but it was just Christian doing the berating 'dad' bit to get his title back. I don't really know where Copeland goes from here. He's not a bust. He just needs to find himself something else to do. Rated-FTR might not be the worst idea for a House of Black feud.

AEW: Please take note as to how the Continental Classic was handled and apply it to the Owen Tournaments. Final was great. Continental Crown not a fan of the design or newish name for the Continental Title. Eddie on Collision can be the defacto B-show World Champion for a while if handled correctly.

There was a lot to live upto after the Grand Slam title match. Knowing the Devil storyline was hanging over the match further dragged it down. Samoa Joe getting a World Title reign again was nice to see. Started 2023 in the King of Television double champion mode. Which proved he still had the swagger to carry the main title. He's now got the chance and plenty of options for what's next. Please pivot away from the Cole/MJF storyline.

• Paid Members
On 12/30/2023 at 9:27 PM, Supremo said:

Get the belt on Joe. Have Adam Cole pull the mask off. Do some type of angle that puts MJF out long enough to heal his injuries and wash off the stink of this storyline. Max can come back for revenge against Adam whenever the ankle is properly healed. In the meantime, Joe can feud with Hangman, Kingston, Danielson, etc. It’ll rule.

I’m satisfied.

The angle jumped the shark about a month ago, descending into video game nonsense, but I’ve got to be honest. I loved the reveal of Adam and the lads at the end. Honestly, it’s no wonder I love AEW. Me and Tony Khan obviously have incredibly similar tastes. Turning the lights on and off, whip some masks off, all resulting in a huge, “OooOooOooh!” from the crowd? Fully back in, all is forgiven. I love it.

Fair play. They went with the most obvious choice, but definitely the right decision. All things considered, I thought they stuck the landing far better than I was expecting. It retcons all that slow motion bullshit at Roddy Strong’s house, it slots Wardlow back in the positions he’s clearly most suited to - as the Batista meathead in a gang of villains - and it perfectly pays off Cole and MJF’s Summer of Love. I’m back on the hook. Genuinely interested to see how MJF now reacts to the one real friend he ever had being a horrible, smug prick (great call from Excalibur!). I knew we couldn’t trust him all the way back at Wembley! Twat.

Anyway, listen to the fucking Champ talking like a fucking Champ. Great things ahead for this company with this man on top.

From wearing a poncho at Wrestlemania to this. What a comeback. The cream truly rises to the top.

Samoa Joe is the AEW champion and the Mad King of Bums is living his Kawada Dream, dripping in gold. For a ropey AEW PPV, they had an absolutely banging home stretch in the last three matches. Proper fist in the air when Eddie won after DROPPING Mox with his finish (no idea how you spell it). From Cody's challenger of the week where he immediately promo'd his way into a job, to the time he stumbled out, bloodied with a petrol can whilst 10,000 people audibly shat themselves, to finally proving he's the man. I love after nearly sodding it all off to have people like Kingston, Orange Cassidy and Hangman Page getting me absolutely into wrestlers and their journeys again.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:07 PM, Infinity Land said:

I thought Swerve v. Dustin would be an improvement over the Keith Lee match. Then we had the angle to start. Keith Lee's gonna come down now, we've all been had. Then maybe someone else is coming down. Nope, a long tedious match takes place with the injured Dustin

I’m not watching AEW, so perhaps age has caught up with Dustin and I’m unaware, but he’d have been a great participant in the continental classic instead of Jay Lethal, with the obvious story being Rhodes looking to hold one last major title before he retires. Unless Dustin feels incapable of wrestling regularly, I do feel like his final years as an active performer have been wasted a bit.