Your favourite singers

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Spinning out of the people who are pleasing to listen to thread. Your favourite singers and why. Not the best or most technically gifted necessarily (though they can be), but your favourites.

Tom Waits. The voice of four packs a day and change. Always loved his vocals from Heartattack and Vine (both the album and the title track) which was before he reached peak-growling and started pissing about with replacing drums with people wanging fence posts and the like. Missing out on seeing him live during the Glitter and Doom tour in 08 is one of my biggest music regrets - 'oh, he'll tour again' - will he fuck.

On the complete other end of the spectrum, our Roy. His range and power are incredible but it's the vulnerability in his voice which sets him apart. Songs which otherwise might be drippy or saccharine somehow work when he's singing them. Held up remarkably well too (well, until the massive heart attack), he sounds as good during Black and White Night in the late 80's as he did here in his youth.

I think Michael Stipe is the greatest singer ever.

His vocal performance on this is ridiculous. The way he goes from "Tell heeeeeeEEEEeeeEEEEeeer...teeeeeeell heeeeeeeeeer she can kiss my ass" is amazing.

I love him, and just think he makes some interesting choices with how he sings. He just has a beautiful way.

Edit: I also really love James Dean Bradfield and how he manages to make such wonderful melodies with such verbose lyrics. See Yes for a great example, especially the chorus.

Edited by SuperBacon
For sale, Dumb cunts, same dumb questions

• Paid Members

I can't for love nor money embed videos on here. But...

An obvious call, but Freddie Mercury. His voice was always so distinctive. Even the shit songs are made better just by him.

On the flip side is James Dean Bradfield. I'm sure nobody listens to the Manics and expects vocal perfection, but the rawness of his voice with the lyrics just blows.me away every time.

Tom Waits - as said, tabs and change. An absolutely gorgeous voice. 

Glen Hansard- the roughness mixed with the high notes are tremendous. 

Lady Gaga - all round fabulous voice. 

Dermott Kennedy - saw him live and his voice portrays so much emotion and pain. 

Stipe and James Dean Bradfield are the first that came to mind for me as well. But then I assumed if Bacon got here first he'd have my picks!

Bradfield is the triple whammy of gifted songwriter, guitarist and a belting singer who can equally nail rabble rousing dad rock and vulnerable pathos. He's invented his own hideously funny pronunciations as well. I believe in La Tristesse Durera he sold a medal to play a...beehive? 

A man who undoubtedly inspired him on all fronts - as well as inspired my dad when he got pissed up and named me the night I was born - was Stuart Adamson of Big Country who were unfashionable then and all but forgotten now. His vocal performance in Ships is haunting, check it out:

Some other quicks ones that maybe aren't worth clogging up the thread with videos for:

- Andy Bell's vocals on all Erasure's big hits. Completely life affirming. 

- The Eurovision Scandibabe metal thing became ten-a-penny but Liv Kristine's vocals on Theatre of Tragedy's early stuff - Aegis in particular - are proper eerie velvety. 

- Dani Filth. I have to give him a mention. Genuinely incredible range, one of a kind delivery, and he always still leaves you about two seconds from pissing yourself laughing. 

- The bit in Untouchable where Nadine Coyle absolutely puts her foot through the line about beautiful robots dancing alone.  

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Alison Krauss

Always had the singing voice of an actual angel, but I swear there are some old interviews kicking around where her speaking voice sounds like she's a docker with a 20 a day habit.

It's Trisha Yearwood for me, handily on the CMA Christmas special on BBCFour.

And although it's a completely obvious pick, Glen Campbell singing Jimmy Webb's words remains completely irresistible.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

Echoing Superbacon it's also Michael Stipe for me. Automatic For The People remains my favourite album of all time. Sounds just as good live.

Another one for me is David Byrne. Not a good voice but it's the weird wobbliness that I just really enjoy. Awkward in a good way.

• Awards Moderator

I won’t go with the obvious, so instead:

Robert Smith

Instantly recognisable and utterly infectious. A really good range and to be honest, The Cure’s songs couldn’t possibly be delivered by another voice. 

Murkage Dave

I bleat on about him on social, but he’s one of a kind. His soft, soothing voice whilst delivering a range of genres is unmistakable and he somehow makes his more political songs seem more heartbreaking with his tone.

Dolores O’Riordan

She was utterly incredible. A once-in-a-generation voice.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

@Gay as FOOK absolutely love Stuart Adamson. Little story about him. His death was an absolute shame and I've always felt awful about how it went for him. But I LOVE Big Country. Every single comedy gig I've done, after I'm done, I thank the audience then say 'Stay Alive' and leave. Never not finished a gig with it and for some reason that I can't explain or express here, it matters. I think Stuart Adamson is a great hidden gem of a songwriter. Where's @Nostalgia Nonce he knows!!!

Freddie Mercury obviously, just a voice I love if he's full throating (Kenneth gif) or camping his way through Killer Queen. Lovely stuff.

Phil Lynott had a brilliant rock voice. I love how he can sing like he's the coolest cat on the block but sometimes a heartbreaking vocal when he had it in his cannon (Still in Love with You being a fantastic example).

Obviously Kirsty Maccoll too. Unabashed die hard fan of her voice. A one woman backing group in a single voice. Also sang some of the best 'men are bastards' songs but with an actual dimension and nuance. Think loads of people were influenced by her without realising it.

Really enjoyed posting this.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

@Gay as FOOK absolutely love Stuart Adamson. Little story about him. His death was an absolute shame and I've always felt awful about how it went for him. But I LOVE Big Country. Every single comedy gig I've done, after I'm done, I thank the audience then say 'Stay Alive' and leave. Never not finished a gig with it and for some reason that I can't explain or express here, it matters. I think Stuart Adamson is a great hidden gem of a songwriter. Where's @Nostalgia Nonce he knows!!!

That's lovely! 

My dad texts me on "Come up screaming" as his positive affirmation when the need arises. 

• Paid Members

I'm an absolute sucker for Joanna Newsom. Stumbled onto her music at a really formative time in my life and fell in love, it was just so different from anything I'd ever heard before.

Even now, almost 20 years on if I'm having a bad day I throw on her albums, or a live recording and it sets my head straight.

• Paid Members

Dolores O'Riordan - The most spectacular voice and story teller, as soon as I saw this thread I knew she'd be the first name to pop into my head. Zombie and Linger are two of my all time favourite songs to just lose myself for a few moments to.

Derek Sanders - for those who weren't an awkward emo teen in the 2000s this is the lead singer of Mayday Parade. An artist that can make me cry on cue with how delicate his tone is on some of their even sadder songs.

Dan "Soupy" Campbell - lead of the Wonder Years but this is more for his solo work as Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties. A character project where he writes and performs from the guise of Aaron West and talks of marriage, growing up, divorce and sadness, I caught him live doing this for the first time at 2000 Trees this summer and for how much Wonder Years can make me go mad, dance and love every second, he broke me within 3 minutes and ended up with myself and a friend having to support each other from how much emotion we had. Honestly incredible.