Your favourite singers

Gus Mears

Chester Bennington

A monumental voice. Nu metal is a much maligned genre (with good reason, most of it was absolutely shit) but Chester is one of the greatest vocalists of all time. 

Linkin Parks records are so heavily produced you think "Well he can't possibly sing like that live" Yeah he could. Flawlessly. Not just a great rock singer, just a fantastic singer.

I dunno if I shared this when he died but as for a lot of lost teenagers, his music meant a lot to my ex, so when she once won a backstage meet and greet with the band when we saw them at the O2 (just for her though! I had to watch bloody Of Mice and Men!!!) it meant the world to her.

When Chester approached her, she lost it and broke down and he hugged her and said "Oh my darling, don't cry. I'm only a man!" and we have the loveliest photos of that moment which thankfully someone captured for her. Lovely man. Still gutted he's gone.

I absolutely cannot listen to this without crying.

• Paid Members

My standard "non-standard" answers to this are a couple of Zappa sidemen, Robert Martin:

and Ray White:

And then there's my man Leroy Virgil, who unquestionably has the best voice I've ever heard in the upstairs room of an ex-servicemen's club in east London:

26 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Hayley Williams from Paramore, been a fan of the band since the get go and her vocals are entrancing, particularly on their slower songs like My Heart, The Only Exception and Hate To See Your Heart Break

Agreed. Hayley is a superb and unique singer. This bit from All I Wanted is great.

She also happens to be the most attractive person that has ever walked this earth.

• Paid Members

One of my all time highlights was when Paramores sound system and lighting failed at Reading (maybe 2013?) and they performed The Only Exception with just an acoustic guitar and two microphones. Was absolutely incredible to be a part of and just having pretty much purely her voice was spell binding.

Absolutely adore Hayley Williams and Paramore in general. The only tattoo I have is their 3 bars logo on my wrist with A L above it. 

As for other favourite singers, Julien Baker constantly blows me away. Especially on Rejoice. Mike Patton for his ridiculous range. Elizabeth Stokes from The Beths has a lovely voice. Brendan Yates from Turnstile is an incredible singer too. 

• Paid Members

Lots of good choices so far, although Statto gets a kick in the bollock for not including George Duke. Only one bollock though, because he rates Bobby Martin.

As Chili mentioned, I do love a bit of Big Country, and there's a clear Adamson influence in the way I play guitar. I actually prefer the piano only version of Ships from No Place Like Home, which shows how good his voice could be with only the simplest of support. On the flip side, his angry voice on songs like Long Way Home is awesome.

Joey Tempest has always been one of my favourites, even before I understood how impressive he is. 

One that people probably don't expect from me is Petula Clark. I find her voice very comforting.

Famous for that album cover, not quite so well known for her voice, but Millie Jackson is fantastic. For my money, this live version is better than the original.

One of my all time personal favourites, back from when they just happened to be the support act for when I went to see FM when I was 15, is Al Fritsch from Drive She Said. Just a phenomenal voice, and a bloody good guitarist and keyboard player too. Unashamedly overproduced 80s cheese, but goddam what a singer. His death is one I took pretty hard.

Oh, and he provided the singing voice for Raphael in a terrible 90s made for TV Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Christmas special. Yeah.

6 hours ago, Panhead said:

As for other favourite singers, Julien Baker constantly blows me away. Especially on Rejoice

Sorry to keep hijacking with videos but this version of Rejoice is quite frankly something else.

When she gets to the chorus and refrain, it shows just what an amazing voice she has. 

Not the coolest choice by any stretch but seeing as most of my faves have already been posted, I'm going with Meat Loaf.

As with quite a few singers/groups, I actually found him really fucking irritating when I was younger. Mostly because I Would Do.. was the only bloody thing I ever heard and when something gets played that much I inevitably end up resenting it.

But in recent years with Spotify at my hands (quite like The Beatles) I've been able to explore the catalogue a bit more. And I've got to give him credit. He's a guy where I can really feel the emotion. He can go from manic to calm to passionate to anything in such a short space of time and he'll take you on every single second of that journey.

At his best he was someone you just couldn't turn away from or tune out. Grabbed your attention and dragged you kicking and screaming through whatever story he wanted to tell.

I'd love to offer a more random choice for my favourite song (as I'm sure others can) but Bat Out Of Hell has my heart. It's what I stick on when I'm having a down day and I just want to feel a bit more alive. It's impossible to go through it and not feel something by the end of it.

So yeah. He's my choice.

The other that came to mind is Karen Carpenter. I don't know nearly enough about her but any time I hear her it's one of the most mesmerising and haunting musical experiences. Not really my kind of music but there's something utterly unique about her voice and performances.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

His band have been shite for about fifteen years (the albums from 2001 to 2008 were belters), but Guy Garvey of Elbow has a lovely soothing voice. Imagine John Virgo could sing.

Elbow's cover of Peter Gabriel's Mercy Street is up there with the original. Beautiful cover.

34 minutes ago, Wretch said:

His band have been shite for about fifteen years (the albums from 2001 to 2008 were belters), but Guy Garvey of Elbow has a lovely soothing voice. Imagine John Virgo could sing.

I think Newborn by Elbow is probably the most beautiful song ever, and I'd love to see it live one day but I have no idea how I'd get through it. I'd be a wreck.

The way he goes from the most delicate melodies to making me feel like I could headbutt through a wall when it all finally kicks off...I don't know how they do it.

Fucking incredible.