Wrestling Awards 2023 - Nominations

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Samantha Irvin - so that’s her name! Yeah, I don’t like her work. Although, I’d probably feel the same if I hadn’t seen AEW before and heard Justin Roberts do his “Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeon Moxley” announcing.

I mean, he wasn’t the first to do something similar (Was it Tony Chimel who did Raaaaaated R Suuuuperstar?), but it seems to just be Mox and Omega he really does it for. But she tries to get herself more over than the talent IMO. Apparently she’s been told not to do Chelsea Green’s one anymore and the internet simps were very vocal about how angry they were.

• Paid Members

Roberts has been doing that shit elongated pronunciation thing almost since the start, he was doing it for Cena while Moxley was still arseing about in CZW. Him and Irvin are both fucking crap. Somebody give Gary Michael Cappetta a call.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

For the uninitiated, why is a ring announcer being a bit poor a biggest letdown? Did she arrive with massive fanfare or something?

No. But I wanted it noted and there was no worst non wrestler where she would’ve gone.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

No. But I wanted it noted and there was no worst non wrestler where she would’ve gone.

Ooh good shout, that would’ve been a good topic. 

EDIT - @Frankie Crisp Too late?

Edited by Keith Houchen

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler

Rhea Ripley, Becky lynch, Trish stratus 

Best Men's Wrestler

Will osprey, Kenny omega, Cody Rhodes 

Best Tag Team

The uso's, Sami and Kevin Owens, Aussie open 

Best British Wrestler - will osprey literally no competition whatsoever this year has been outrageous and he has absolutely excelled to a level no other could come close to 

Best Non-wrestler

Paul heyman 

Best Event

Wrestlemania I'll say both nights Cos they were both solid and had the same weakness, aew all in, a couple of early in the year gcw shows genuinely great, royal rumble and elimination chamber also 

Best Wrestling Show

Smackdown overall this year has been solid and got me staying up to watch live each week 

Best Feud or Angle

The bloodline at the beginning of the year was probably the greatest storyline in history it's heartbreaking how much it decreased they dropped the ball massively. And also the will osprey and Kenny omega feud was spread out but when it came back to it it felt so real and gripping.

Funniest Moment

Anything with Sami Zayn on the mic, fucking John Cena absolutely destroying Austin theory completely taking his lunch money phenomenal 

Best Heel

Roman reigns, Brock Lesnar's turn absolutely shocked me, Matt cardona also 

Best Babyface

Nick gage, Cody Rhodes, la Knights rise has now become really enjoyable

Best Podcast

GRPPL podcast for me 

Moment of the Year

Fucking CM punk returning at survivor series had me crying in absolute joy, Sami finally turning on Roman, the breakup of the uso's was fucking perfect and aew all in as a whole was unbelievably big and emotional for us finally getting the attention and shows over here in the UK.

Match of the Year

Will osprey Vs Kenny omega wrestle kingdom I cannot express how fucking invested and emotional that match got me man just unbelievable talent those two possess, Roman Vs Cody even if the finish did take away slightly, Roman reigns Vs Sami Zayn from elimination chamber again had so much emotion going into it.

Promo of the Year – Cena absolutely belittling Austin theory really has stayed with me lol, Cody Rhodes and Paul heymans promos really got deep and personal 

Breakout Star

Mike bailey, Blake Christian, la Knight

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown

The sudden decline in quality and any storylines at all pretty much this year in gcw has really disappointed me, Cody not winning the belt at mania like the entire world also believes, Roman being absent for a hell of alot this year after being the greatest thing on wrestling TV in a crazy amount of year's 

Worst Wrestler

Austin theory, Seth Rollins

Worst Match

Roman Vs jay USO fucking bummed me out, the men's war games match too just didn't come close too the women's.

Worst Event

The last couple of WWE ppvs or PLE if you must have really been underwhelming in comparison.

Worst TV Show

I literally only watch what I watch and don't suffer anything else just watch if people are raving about a certain match or whatever.

I need to state this last bit, this year for me personally has been such a resurgence and once again got me so emotionally invested and gripped and I can't tell you guys how long that has been missing from my life so it really really has been amazing to feel so passionate again and be screaming at the TV or crying really crying at certain parts and not for a second feeling ashamed or stupid.

I hope to god it continues but it has taken a massive dip so I will just have to hope and see what we get in 2024 

• Paid Members

THE GOOD

Best Men's Wrestler - Cody Rhodes, Eddie Kingston, Jey Uso, Roman Reigns

Best Non-wrestler - RJ City

Best Feud or Angle - Roman Reigns vs Cody finishing the story, Roman Reigns vs Sami Zayn in Montreal, Eddie Kingston is a bum, Orange Cassidy's title run where he gets progressively more beat up until he can't go anymore.

Funniest Moment - Christian Cage vs Dead Dads

Best Heel - Christian Cage, Roman Reigns

Best Babyface - Cody Rhodes, Eddie Kingston, LA Knight, Orange Cassidy

Moment of the Year - Sami Zayn hits Roman Reigns with a chair, Seek and Destroy for Sting, Brawl Out with CM Punk and Ace Steel

Match of the Year - Cody vs Lesnar at Summerslam, Gunther vs Drew vs Sheamus at Wrestlemania,

Breakout Star - LA Knight, Gunn Club

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown - Cody loses to Reigns at Wrestlemania and the hottest feud in wrestling dies in a single night, AEW doesn't know how to push anyone for more than one angle.

Worst Wrestler - Kota Ibushi, Nia Jax, Austin Theory, FTR Gun and FTR Bald.

Worst Non-Wrestler - Tony Khan

Worst Event - Wrestlemania. If Cody had won it would have been my nomination for Best but it left such a sour taste I have no inclination to go back to it any time soon.

Worst TV Show - AEW Dynamite. Rough year for AEW as CM Punk violently implodes and drags half the main event down with it, other petty backstage drama, and big new signings and pushes that only last a few weeks before they run out of steam. Collision has been improving but the product has just been so uninteresting that by the end of the year I stopped buying the PPVs, stopped watching the TV every week and finally unsubscribed from Fite. Then the day my cancellation finalises Chris Jericho gets some fresh misconduct allegations and Tony does a press conference in a funny wig.

Say what you want about WWE and the quality of it's shows but they would never let the company explode in shit like AEW has this year.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

THE GOOD

Best Women's Wrestler:
Toni Storm
Safire Reed
Emersyn Jayne
Athena
Willow Nightingale

Best Men's Wrestler:
Orange Cassidy
Bryan Danielson
El Hijo del Vikingo
Gunther
Swerve Strickland

Best Tag Team:
FTR

Best British Wrestler - British Wrestler in any promotion, not just UK-based:
Zack Sabre Jr
Chris Brookes
Michael Oku

Best Non-wrestler:
RJ City
Taz
Prince Nana

Best Event:
AEW All-In
AEW Wrestledream
AEW Full Gear

Best Wrestling Show:
AEW Collision
AEW Dynamite

Best Feud or Angle:
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston

Funniest Moment:
Jeff Jarrett and friends at the Briscoe farm
Shane McMahon tearing his quad, followed by the Snoop Dogg People's Elbow

Best Heel:
Christian Cage
Swerve Strickland

Best Babyface:
Orange Cassidy
Sami Zayn

Best Podcast:
Must See Matches
Deadlock

Moment of the Year:
Hangman drinks Swerve's blood
Sting's entrance at All-In
CM Punk returns to WWE

Match of the Year:
Hangman Page vs. Swerve Strickland Texas Deathmatch
Takuya Nomura vs Fuminori Abe at We Are Fighting Detectives
MJF vs. Bryan Danielson Iron Man Match
FTR vs. Bullet Club Gold 2 out of 3 Falls
Blue Demon Jr & DMT Azul vs. Rush & LA Park at AAA Triplemania

Promo of the Year:
Christian Cage - "go fuck yourself" - AEW Dynamite November 29th
Cody Rhodes & Paul Heyman - February 6th RAW

Breakout Star:
Dominik Mysterio
Swerve Strickland
El Hijo del Vikingo
Daniel Garcia
Konosuke Takeshita

THE BAD

Biggest Letdown:
AEW signing Ric Flair
Cody Rhodes losing at Wrestlemania
Multiple Queen references but no Emi Sakura at All In
Kota Ibushi in AEW

Worst Wrestler:
Austin Theory

Worst Match:
LA Knight vs. Bray Wyatt Mountain Dew thing
Adam Cole vs. Chris Jericho - Double Or Nothing
Vampiro vs. Chessman - Triplemania Monterrey

Worst Event
Triplemania Mexico City
AEW World's End

Worst TV Show
NXT
RAW

• Paid Members

I'd also like to add ;

Best Men's wrestler : Cody Rhodes

Best Women's wrestler : Toni Storm

Best babyface : Sami Zayn

Best heel : Christian Cage

On 12/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Somebody give Gary Michael Cappetta a call.

He did it with panache, didn't he.

"From Charlotte, North Carolina.... WEIGHING two hundred, and FORTY ONE pounds...... and for the TENTH time he is THE! WORLD! HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONNNNNNNNNNNNN........... Nature Boy! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC...... FLLAIRRR!!!!"

It gives me goosebumps just trying to type it the way he announced it. No actual Ric Flair match probably ever lived up to how big time he felt coming down, music playing, big Gold round his waist and GMC ramming it down your throat (oo-er) that THIS is The Man.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I don’t watch anywhere near enough of the big two to justify voting in any categories really (and its pointless nominating much TNA stuff), but I have to say Will Ospreay would be my men’s wrestler of the year.

Match of the year: Will Ospreay v Mike Bailey from Bound for Glory.

Funniest moment of the year: Tony Khan losing it on Twitter

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator
On 12/29/2023 at 5:24 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Ooh good shout, that would’ve been a good topic. 

EDIT - @Frankie Crisp Too late?

Sorry, I dropped* a bollock by forgetting to reply to this.

More than happy to add this as a new award and for people to edit their original posts with nominations. No need to @ me as I'll be logging everything from scratch early next week.

* Don't.

• Paid Members

Thank God!

Worst non-wrestler: Alex Abrahantes. Someone please take him to a trampoline centre or a bouncy castle and leave him there forever. He'll be in his natural element and we'll not have to sigh during Penta matches (although his tops should also be banished).