All Out 2023 Discussion

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Joe's cheeky little smile after unnecessarily pushing MJF was absolutely sublime. A feud between these two is going to be so good. Especially if they are incorporating a story where MJF has a persistent neck injury caused by his best friend that puts his title at risk - absolutely genius if they go that route with it.

Long Term Storytelling

The first show of the rest of AEW's life, really. 

Great on the night but of course there's no excuse for the build of it being as non-existent as it was. They have some of the most entertaining, loveable acts in the world having a big ol' celebration of wrestling most weeks but some serious forward momentum should be their main focus now. TV where it feels like things are pulling towards major, logical points in the year that you can more or less guess but still want to pay to see. 

After the media scrum last time, you could still pretty much hear Phil's spectre clean in the mix but that's no longer the case now. There should be no more holding patterns or reshuffles. They've made probably one of the smartest major moves of their short history and now they have a few months of the closest thing wrestling gets to an off season to hunker down and get on with logical, long term planning because next year it'll be endless tournaments, Dynamite specials, and the builds to the big summer shows again before they know it. 

I don't want to get into comparisons but the other crowd are clearly cooling off a little again. You've got MJF, Kingston, Mox, Orange Cassidy, Hangman and Omega in the house. This really shouldn't be something that can be fucked up from here. 

And breathe. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Bryan Danielson is the best wrestler ever.

Outstanding show, I even enjoyed a Ruby Soho match! No CM Punk chants but a variety of MEAT chants? Bravo.

There were a few in the 8 man tag. 

Hell of a show, not a bad match on the card, though Reynolds was doing his best to tank the ROH title match. 

Kevin Kelly very nearly justified his presence on the show by called Evil Uno a "bulbous bell end". 

• Paid Members
Just now, gmoney said:

Kevin Kelly very nearly justified his presence on the show by called Evil Uno a "bulbous bell end". 

Pot calling kettle there.

Just have the main event to go, but this is absolutely a top tier PPV. It was like everyone had a point to prove. I hope they continue this momentum 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Shocker - AEW PPV that lacked build ended up being exceptional from top to bottom. That's never happened before. /sarcasm

Don't get me wrong - I still get frustrated by their PPV builds on the whole as I think they'd be even better, but at this point you can almost see why TK doesn't bother too much when they smash it out of the park like this.

Yep, and that's exactly why he's lost me as a regular viewer. He said during the post-All Out scrum that he doesn't listen to much critique of the TV shows because the PPVs always deliver, so I'm good to not bother watching the weekly TV then if that's the case. Such a backwards thing to come out and say.

Anyway, All Out was a consistently good show that felt like it was lacking something (which usually happens when you have a shoddily built card), but a nice 'two' to the one-two punch that was All In-All Out.

I'll be back on for Arthur Ashe and Dream Slam! Now to use those extra hours towards something more fulfilling, such as writing on wrestling forums.

Edited by Accident Prone

5 hours ago, FUM said:

I’ve not watched the rest but I was about to go to bed as I was absolutely shattered then couldn’t take my eyes off Miro v Hobbs so had to wait till that finished. Incredible stuff.

It's funny how so many on here and elsewhere were so against Miro recently and a fued with Hobbs seemed like 'Christ almighty' type match up, yet seemingly they pulled out a hugely enjoyable match that was very much against many preconceptions 

Bryan Danielson is the best wrestler ever. What a violent, nasty little match. A real star making performance for Ricky Starks.

Kenny Omega is a fucking lunatic. Great match. So hard hitting. I thought Takeshita looked the absolute bollocks.

Joe/MJF as a little transitional feud whilst MJF/Cole simmers in the background is a fucking perfect idea.

Great show, but for me Starks and Takeshita leave with their stocks at an all time high.

Orange Cassidy is obviously a star, but we knew that already.

God bless Daniel Bryan, and God bless AEW.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

2 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

It's funny how so many on here and elsewhere were so against Miro recently and a fued with Hobbs seemed like 'Christ almighty' type match up, yet seemingly they pulled out a hugely enjoyable match that was very much against many preconceptions 

Holds my hand up. 

Credit where it's due. They put a shift in and the hot crowd can really elevated the match. 

Bell to bell All Out 2023 might be my favourite AEW PPV ever. My only really small complaint is that a couple of matches went a little too long, imo. 

Okay also a bit on the blood heavy side but that's AEW for you. Mox NOT bleeding though is pretty funny. 

Pretty sure there was a least one CM Grump chant during the eight-man that was drowned out by booing.

I fucking love Samoa Joe. What a magnificent bastard. 

• Awards Moderator

Samoa Joe was ace pushing past MJF. He’s the perfect bastard to jump in amongst all the drama and smash stuff up.

Main event was incredible. It was a bloodbath that went exactly as I’d feared, but what a match. If you don’t have Orange Cassidy as your wrestler of the year I don’t know what’s wrong with you.

People kept describing this as a ‘b show’, but with a bit more space between this and All In, it simply wouldn’t have been. Even on paper, I feel like the matches were interesting with multiple up-and-comers in prominent positions on the card. I can’t help but feel disappointed for the build-up we missed out on. 

That said, it was a strong show (outside of the opening match, which didn’t gel with me at all). I was worried that the crowd might hijack the show with CM Punk chants, and I’m glad that didn’t transpire. And on the subject of chants, I hope ‘meat’ chants don’t become commonplace, they have the potential to get very old, very quickly. At the risk of sounding like a miserable twat, they kind of ruined the Miro/Hobbs match for me. It just felt like a crowd trying to get itself over.