The Simpsons

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
On 8/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, TheScarlettChad said:

I'd have done anything for a Frasier game. 

I'd have mained Eddie or Niles, for sure.

Bulldog would have been top tier, I hear Maris is a hidden character. 

• Paid Members

The last "new" episode I remember watching was one where they'd gone to Italy, and Sideshow Bob was there with his wife and kid. 

This is probably still about 13 years ago. The ex hated the Simpsons. 

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, Tommy! said:

I'm a bit confused by all that TBH, because I'd understood the criticism of Apu is that the character is a stereotype of Asian Americans, regardless of who it's voiced by.

I've not really understood why then recasting Carl mattered. I'm sure there is a reason, I've just never heard it because I'm too sheltered.

I think it was Azaria's choice. While the representation point around Apu wasn't the same with Carl (after all Apu is one of the most well-known Asian-American characters on US TV), once he stepped away from one, it was kind of an obvious next step to go 'you know what, maybe I shouldn't play that character either', especially when they had a predominantly white cast.

• Paid Members

The recasting of characters like Carl followed on from Black Lives Matter more than from the Apu stuff, though it probably helped that the Apu documentary had already started that conversation. It was just part of a larger trend in animation away from having white actors play non-white characters, there was nothing specific to how Carl was played, compared to characters like Apu or Dr Hibbert.

Series 2 done and dusted. A massive improvement on the first. Homer getting battered falling down Springfield Gorge side by side with a tearful Bart vowing to pass the fourth grade, the show has found its groove. 

There are no dud episodes here, and a handful of bona fide classics. Favourites include Bart The Daredevil, The Way We Was, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Brush With Greatness, Lisa’s Substitute and Three Men And A Comic Book. 

Some great guest stars including Harvey Firestein, Jon Lovitz as the wonderful Artie Zif, Danny Devito and of course Dustin Hoffman. But my favourite is James Earl Jones pulling triple duty on the first Treehouse Of Horror. 

A glorious 4 out of 5 doughnuts for this series. 

Bonus points for the Vertigo reference in Principal Charming. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Vertigo reference in Principal Charming. 

The Terminator style Homer's eye view of scouting for Selma's date is also sublime. Watching the background in the Springfield Revolving Restaurant. God, there's so much to value in so many s2-3 episodes, it's ridiculous.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Anyone else watch TheRealJims on youtube? I've really dug his dives in to side and background characters through the years.

On a similar note check out David B Cooper who's trying to draw every character as he works through from series 1.

Some of the bits he puts on his shop are great too.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Anyone else watch TheRealJims on youtube? I've really dug his dives in to side and background characters through the years.

Yeah, I linked to his page earlier in the thread, I absolutely love his stuff and his presentation (namely you don't see him in his videos). What's not to like about a meticulously researched deep dive into how old Kearney is?

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

What's not to like about a meticulously researched deep dive into how old Kearney is?

Those tall ships really lifted the nation's spirits after Watergate.