Summerslam: Down Since Day One Ish

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I've not watched a lot of WWE TV the last month due to lack of time, either 30x'd or read recaps.

One of the things I read made a big deal of the fact that Tribal Combat forbade any family member from interfering (which does make sense if it's supposed to be some kind of honorable, ritualistic thing). Obviously, they did and no fuss was made along the lines of "these guys are dishonoring their heritage & tradition by getting involved".

So... was that actually ever a thing that was announced/implied that just got quietly forgotten, or were the reports misinterpretations?

I think because Roman stopped Solo hitting Jey when he first challenged him that everyone just made up that rule as they didn’t know why he has stopped him.

On a side note that I forgot to mention. This “4 main events” nonsense. Cole told us as Lesnar entered how this was his 10th time main eventing SummerSlam - on the 2nd match of the card. It wasn’t even 4 matches in a row. As an OCD wrestling fan who cares far too much about that stuff, it’s laughable.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Statto said:

I've not watched a lot of WWE TV the last month due to lack of time, either 30x'd or read recaps.

One of the things I read made a big deal of the fact that Tribal Combat forbade any family member from interfering (which does make sense if it's supposed to be some kind of honorable, ritualistic thing). Obviously, they did and no fuss was made along the lines of "these guys are dishonoring their heritage & tradition by getting involved".

So... was that actually ever a thing that was announced/implied that just got quietly forgotten, or were the reports misinterpretations?

This is now replaced with a photo gallery of the match, but this is what Google showed from WWE.com

7052DAF7-96EC-4546-AB34-A91C34CD622E.jpeg

Well watching that on the Network was a laugh.

First two matches were absolutely superb. Logan Paul is the best wrestler in the world.

Then wanted to skip some matches and the Network through me back to the start and is just skipping forward at 5 minute intervals and then I want to stop and watch it has a shitfit.

Multi billion pound company. Wicked. 

Think I'll just illegal stream the rest tomorrow. What a load of shit. 

The Jimmy swerve had me a little bit down, was bound to happen but it didn't have to be here.  How they stretch a brother vs brother feud out to Mania I have no idea.  Good main event had me gripped like only Roman can. 

But I was more upset with Rollins retaining the belt, that was the worst booking of the night for me. The match was great though. Judgment Day hot potato for the next couple of months would be great TV.  

Lesnar vs Cody was amazing. 

Apart from Logan Paul the rest of the card was average at best, except for the crowd shitting on the MMA rules match. 

9 hours ago, Supremo said:

Plus, brother vs. brother almost never works unless you’re Bret Hart, so I don’t hold out much hope for the matches.

Pro Wrestling Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

At the risk of becoming a single interest poster, I know a blonde bombshell who’d dispute that…

7 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

My biggest take of the last few weeks/months is that LA Knight now must be the one to win the Royal Rumble and End Roman's "reign" at Wrestlemania 40.

Yeah!

I think they’d be mad to pivot from finishing Cody’s ‘story’. Knight is inconsistent (at best) in ring, and I think the story between Reigns and Cody would be much better.

However, put the World Heavyweight title on Logan Paul, and Paul/Knight sounds like a fun option for the secondary title. 

• Paid Members

The idea of Roman spending the Autumn and Winter mixing it up LA Knight (hottest lad on the show) and Gunther (longest reigning Champions of the modern era) would rule. Or even Sheamus or Drew. Fucking anyone other than his immediate family. Roman’s act itself is still phenomenal, and there’s a tonne of exciting things you could do with him, I just can’t stomach anymore NXT-style melodrama with The Bloodline. We’re reaching Ciampa/Gargano levels. I’m fully expecting a 45 minute, “epic,” between Jimmy and Jey, with both guys screaming soliloquies about how much they love each other.  Will probably end with something as embarrassing as this.

IMG_5703.thumb.jpeg.e0ce532c791501ae2a9996d26007657c.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I didn't think this was a terrible show, but it felt like it could have been any WWE event post-pandemic. Just more of the same. 

It's great that the crowd were really hot for Jey Uso, and it shows we're they're still persisting with the Bloodline story, as this stuff still works, but it also highlights the problem with the storyline. Roman Reigns has beaten everyone. There's no one, bar Cody Rhodes, who's the same age as Roman Reigns with a few more years on the clock (and who used to claim he would retire at 40) that's being positioned to beat him. As much as people wanted to see Jey Uso beat Roman, nobody wants to see Jey Uso as Champion after the fact, nobody has a long list of singles title defences they're desperate to see from Jey Uso. It starts to feel like a Hogan/Dungeon of Doom or Paul Jones/Jimmy Valiant situation where they're just keeping a succession of opponents for Roman, and it all exists in a bubble outside of the rest of the show, because Reigns isn't working with anyone else.

I've been saying since Wrestlemania that nothing in WWE's current storytelling makes more sense than if Cody had already beaten Roman at Wrestlemania, and that's still all pretty self-evident here. It was pretty clear from the Brock/Cody video package that they never bothered justifying why Brock was going after Cody in the first place, and they tried to make Cody beating Lesnar seem like a huge deal, even though he's already done it. I'm not even convinced that they'll book Cody to go over Roman at next year's Wrestlemania - and people doing Rock spots makes me think they're hoping for that all over again, which means probably another six months to a year of Bloodline stuff - and LA Knight definitely isn't The Guy either. I love how the announcers tried to put over the Slim Jim Battle Royal as an opportunity for a young up-and-coming talent to earn a title shot, and then the youngest person in the final three was 40. 

• Paid Members

This was the first WWE show I've watched (in full) since the Rumble I think. Unfortunately I just don't think this company is for me anymore. It's a massive shame as I watched WWE consistently from the mid 90s to 2019. The overly slick production and OTT graphics which accompany everything are just so off-putting, and as someone who couldn't wait for a Reigns heel run I find his whole big-match formula really disapointing. It's just the same match everytime. A long, plodding, drawn-out saga with Roman pausing after every move to verbally explain the story instead of letting the action tell the story. I'm aware I'm very much on my own here, but I think the Bloodline could be the most overrated storyline in WWE history too. Just an endless series of promos with people doing there best conflicted faces with no endgame in sight.

Sorry to be such a downer. It wasn't all bad, Cody Rhodes is still a ridiculously entertaining pro wrestler and the only choice to carry the company going forwards. Logan Paul is tremendous considering he's not been doing this long. And the crowd was great, it was mentioned in another thread recently but they seem to boo the heels and cheer the faces which is so refreshing after 20 years of Cena/Reigns getting negative reactions.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

The idea of Roman spending the Autumn and Winter mixing it up LA Knight (hottest lad on the show) and Gunther (longest reigning Champions of the modern era) would rule. Or even Sheamus or Drew. Fucking anyone other than his immediate family. Roman’s act itself is still phenomenal, and there’s a tonne of exciting things you could do with him, I just can’t stomach anymore NXT-style melodrama with The Bloodline. We’re reaching Ciampa/Gargano levels. I’m fully expecting a 45 minute, “epic,” between Jimmy and Jey, with both guys screaming soliloquies about how much they love each other.  Will probably end with something as embarrassing as this.

IMG_5703.thumb.jpeg.e0ce532c791501ae2a9996d26007657c.jpeg

I'm going to predict that we won't see Roman again until the Saudi show in November, and then the Rumble-Mania season.

Edited by The King of Old School