Summerslam: Down Since Day One Ish

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

"That was one of the most pathetic things I've ever witnessed." - Michael Cole.

Agreed, Cole. Agreed.

There was some good stuff on this show, especially in the first half, but that dog shit main event and stupid finish left the worst taste in your mouth. The Bloodline saga is dead. Endless, boring dragged-out shit. Running on fumes. What next? A fucking four way? Sami or Cody should’ve won the title earlier this year.

Edited by Supremo

It was fine. But if that’s your twist? Don’t put it on last.

I guess Jimmy and Jey are getting the singles feud they’ve always dreamed of, and Roman is going to move on to non-Bloodline things before a Solo turn.

Rather than it seeming like something they’re dragging out, it felt to me like the beginning of moving Roman on.

But yeah, it was the worst part of the show.

Logan Paul/Ricochet and Brock/Cody were the best matches on the show by some distance.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

There was some good stuff on this show, especially in the first half, but that dog shit main event and stupid finish left the worst taste in your mouth. The Bloodline saga is dead. Endless, boring dragged-out shit. Running on fumes. What next? A fucking four way? Sami or Cody should’ve won the title earlier this year.

I’m assuming we move on to a four-way next, but we’ll see. I thought the main event was dull, but I didn’t have any issue with the Jimmy Uso twist. They’ve had very few missteps with this story, so they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt for me - I suspect this will end up working.

This was definitely a show of two halves. The opening two matches were outstanding, but after that I felt like everything underdelivered, even if it was good. I was really disappointed by the women’s match and McIntyre/Gunther. The latter was decent, but didn’t come close to hitting the heights that I expected it would. Perhaps it’s on me for setting my expectations at an unreasonable level, but I came away from that match feeling really disappointed; and it wasn’t because of the result.

Edited by RedRooster

3 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

There's no defending that. What was his motive? It was just a swerve for a swerve's sake. And its clear they did it to prolong it to Mania 40.  Trash.

I mean, let’s not push it.

The story started with Jimmy on the shelf whilst Jey main evented against Roman, and 3 years later Jimmy is on the shelf whilst Jey main events against Roman.

Straight up jealously would make perfect sense in the wrestling world. Jimmy always being the fall guy etc etc 

I have no problem with them transitioning to Jimmy/Jey, and Roman moves on (feud against pick an opponent whilst tensions simmer with Solo, before he beats Solo at the Rumble and kills off the Bloodline for good).

If they go four way then yeah, that’s silly, but I don’t think that’s what’s happening. I think the Bloodline story now lives on only in Jimmy/Jey.

Triple H in his press conference said the after match with Brock/Cody was completely unplanned which is really cool, if true.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

If they go four way then yeah, that’s silly, but I don’t think that’s what’s happening. I think the Bloodline story now lives on only in Jimmy/Jey.

I’m not so sure. For me, there’s a logical route to the four-way, and a logical reason for doing it. Jey could persuade Pearce to make it happen, to prove a point and cause a bit of chaos; or elders in the family could order it happen on the logic that they’re family and should not be at war - but they all need to get this out of their system, and this is the only way. This could have the unintended consequence of destroying The Bloodline for good; setting Roman off on a solo path of paranoia and vulnerability, with no one around to interfere in his matches as has happened in the past, giving every future defence potential to be his last. 

All that being said, Cody should have won at Mania. That’s my original truth and I’m sticking to it.

The most frustrating thing about both sides is they’d work equally well with Cody as Champion and Roman trying to defend his position as head of the family.

Still, we are where we are.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

58 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

All that being said, Cody should have won at Mania. That’s my original truth and I’m sticking to it.

The most frustrating thing about both sides is they’d work equally well with Cody as Champion and Roman trying to defend his position as head of the family.

Still, we are where we are.

That’s true - I definitely think it would have been more logical; with Roman losing the title giving the others reason to try and unseat him. 

That said, I still think things are working really well, and I feel excited about the prospect of Roman/Cody II. 

I'm still All In on Cody. I think his body of work since joining WWE has been a cut above, and he deserves credit for staying red hot after a Mania main which could have killed him stone dead.

That said, the issue with Cody/Roman the sequel is there'll be fuck all drama in it. It'll seem such an obvious coronation, that I think they'll feel compelled to fuck about with it and make it weird, or do something stupid.

He *may* stay as hot as he was this year, against all the odds, but he'll never be as hot and be in a title match with an element of doubt ever again. And that's a bit of a problem, I think, as it's that hint of jeopardy that gives matches that extra bit of sauce.

33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Yes, and I’m also sure that you should cut down on your use of memes. 

30 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That said, the issue with Cody/Roman the sequel is there'll be fuck all drama in it. It'll seem such an obvious coronation, that I think they'll feel compelled to fuck about with it and make it weird, or do something stupid.

For me, there’s definitely drama. There’s a real sense of it being a ‘last chance saloon’ for Cody. He absolutely has to win, because if he doesn’t there’s nothing left for him. The main problem is going to be keeping him hot in between now and Wrestlemania. After Lesnar, what could possibly be next that feels of equivalent value? I hope they have a good plan in mind. And I really hope that it doesn’t involve Bray Wyatt. 

Good that Jimmy spent some time telling Solo and Jey how Roman was manipulating them just to let himself get manipulated again. Story is played out, time to chuck it. Didn’t help that Jimmy and Jey pretty much told us this was going to happen in their interview with Ariel a while back.