Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

Well done to Villa, completely deserved result from what they produced with their second half performance, we should have defended better from the cross put in our six yard box, but the second goal running in behind from Watkins and finish was sublime. All we can do is win the remaining six fixtures left and hope Man City falter somewhere. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Bit unnecessary mate. I like debating football on here as there's often a good discussion to be had, so wanted to ask a question and had some points. Maybe I shouldn't bother anymore?

You literally just said in response to lighthearted dig not even directed at you:

27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also I do love that you've just lost a massive game and your first thought is mentioning Spurs 😆 Just a mental fan base.

So I'm not sure that seems to be something that feels like the start of a reasonable, good faith debate, in fairness. 

But sure, in answer to your original questions, there's a certain degree of similarity. However, that was also Arteta's first ever managerial job, which is not the case for Postecoglou, so not sure you can make a direct comparison. In terms of the project, yes Arteta had some rough seasons and it was a growth period and you're probably right in terms of there needing to be patience which I'm sure will be needed for Postecoglou in to have a chance at having his project work out. I don't personally think he is tactically adaptable enough to warrant the time required for such a project and I'm not sure what his ceiling is, from what I've seen just due to a lack of a "plan B", but I've probably not watched enough Spurs games to give a full analysis. 

Edited by mim731
updated phrasing

1 minute ago, mim731 said:

You literally just said in response to lighthearted dig not even directed at you:

28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also I do love that you've just lost a massive game and your first thought is mentioning Spurs 😆 Just a mental fan base.

So I'm not sure that seems to be something that feels like the start of a reasonable, even handed debate, in fairness.

Was a joke to be honest, like most things on here. Thanks for answering though.

I don't think I am making a direct comparison to be honest and sure it was Artetas first job, but Ange has never managed at this level before. I suppose you could also look at Klopps first season at Liverpool as well, which wasn't an instant success.

Ange is definitely adaptable (I think more than people realise) as we've seen in quite recent games, although I'd like him to be more flexible with his decisions earlier on. 

Put it this way, I'd rather not lose 4-0 to Newcastle or 3-0 to Fulham, but I'm not worried as I've seen enough to not panic. I'd be tempted to "allow" him next season as well, but this is modern life, that just won't happen for a lot of people.

Like I say, a sea change doesn't happen overnight. It didn't for Arsenal, and it didn't for Liverpool.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Was a joke to be honest, like most things on here. Thanks for answering though.

I don't think I am making a direct comparison to be honest and sure it was Artetas first job, but Ange has never managed at this level before. I suppose you could also look at Klopps first season at Liverpool as well, which wasn't an instant success.

Ange is definitely adaptable (I think more than people realise) as we've seen in quite recent games, although I'd like him to be more flexible with his decisions earlier on. 

Put it this way, I'd rather not lose 4-0 to Newcastle or 3-0 to Fulham, but I'm not worried as I've seen enough to not panic. I'd be tempted to "allow" him next season as well, but this is modern life, that just won't happen for a lot of people.

Like I say, a sea change doesn't happen overnight. It didn't for Arsenal, and it didn't for Liverpool.

All fair points. Tbh I'm probably just a bit salty about the loss today. Not a tremendous afternoon for the parish. 

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I liked it better when there was a separate thread for this shit.

The football threads are absolutely dead these days anyway so feel free to create one for just us next year.

Like I said the other day, that was a decent thread where all the big boys played (the Europa League)

• Paid Members

Liverpool probably have the “easiest” final run in, but then they’ve been poor the past few games. If they can pull things together, I can see the other two dropping points between now and the end of the season.

It'll be interesting to see what the Liverpool squad looks like when a new manager takes over, I’m not sure Salah will look at the kind of offers likely to come his way and not be tempted - especially with Klopp gone.

12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I remember talking to people early on when people were talking about how Spurs without Kane would practically be relegated and all sorts of hyperbolic predictions. He'd be a miss, obviously, but I thought that the way the team would be playing would create more but also that Spurs would be exposed. My initial thoughts were that it'd be similar to that team of the mid 90s where they'd get into ridiculous goal fests one way or the other (was it the first Klinsmann year? Ardilles in charge and they'd basically play loads of attacking options without much else?) and we've sort of seen that. Some times it works, others it won't and when it goes wrong, like at the weekend it could be very bad. Of course that does mean with the run in, the title race could be interesting as you just don't know what Spurs will be turning up and they're playing all three.

Either way it doesn't matter, I'm going to just quietly enjoy mid table obscurity down in League One.

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

Of course that does mean with the run in, the title race could be interesting as you just don't know what Spurs will be turning up and they're playing all three.

Spurs will of course have a massive say in the title race. By seeing which team they can give the biggest goal difference to.

Jeremy Goss > Kai Havertz

Never really looked like scoring. I don’t feel like Arsenal were outclassed, but Tactics Tommy got it spot on and we just couldn’t figure it out. Ah well. The only question now is if we go for a full re-run of last season and fully shit the bed against Wolves, or if they can pick themselves up.

• Paid Members

Always enjoy it when Guardiola asks what crowd there is in the Etihad to make more noise and there's a half decibel response.