AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

There’s an attempt on Sunday, for a subtle tribute to Bray to be paid just after sunset, at 8.30.

From what I gather, its being arranged to hold up your phone lights, and sing “He’s got the whole world”.

Not sure whether AEW will do any kind of tribute of their own, to minimise any kind of distribution of their biggest show, but I think the idea mentioned, is subtle and doesn’t take over the show too much.

That really does give off a clap for the NHS vibe…

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Where's the Tony Khan is a cunt thread? Justice for Emi!

Didn't exactly have high hopes, but figured they'd throw a Dark era type Tag/Trios match on Zero Hour. Certainly plenty of options to choose from Willow/Skye Blue/Statlander/Riho v. Nyla/Marina/Athena/Emi/Anna Jay/Taya.

Doesn't look like it. Maybe there will be a last minute announcement, Doubt it though. More frustrating is that it's not like they're holding things back for All Out. The division has been spinning its wheels since Double or Nothing when Hayter & Cargill went.

• Paid Members

With all respect to Emi Sakura - she's done pretty much fuck all on AEW TV and doesn't deserve a spot on the show. Especially in comparison to some of the people who aren't booked - no justice for my boy Daniel Garcia! 

Edited by LaGoosh

Sakura is obviously great but it's pretty obvious that she's seen as little more than a solid hand to help put others over.

Considering some of the people currently not announced for the show, she had no chance.

Sucks but that's the way it is. 

She should at least be mixing it up with the Collision crew. Stantlander Vs. Sakura would be a blast. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

With all respect to Emi Sakura - she's done pretty much fuck all on AEW TV and doesn't deserve a spot on the show. Especially in comparison to some of the people who aren't booked - no justice for my boy Daniel Garcia! 

I think Emi Sakura absolutely deserves a spot on the card, but the way AEW uses her made it abundantly clear she was never getting one. It's a shame, not just because it means a lot to Emi, but because she's been going out of her way to use social media to put over just how much it means to her and why, and that's a story that was worth playing out on TV. That they never engaged with it made it pretty clear she wasn't getting the spot, but I do think they should have worked with her.

If nothing else, she's in the country anyway. 

I do think people that are genuinely upset on her behalf for not getting booked are overreacting, because it was always a long shot, and AEW don't owe her that match. I just think they've passed up the opportunity for a good story and a fun dynamic, and for somebody that would go above and beyond to put over the experience of wrestling at Wembley as a once-in-a-lifetime event. It's especially egregious when it's a company with two women's titles (three if you count the ROH belt), yet that could only find space for one women's match on an eleven match card.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I wanna just say I wasn't being totally serious (just working the gimmick), I never expected her on the card in the first place but it'd be nice if they found a spot on one of the shows for her.

Anyone holding out for Emi Sakura in a featured matche was bound to be disappointed. There was hope of a pre-show match. Even before the TBS title came into existence, AEW was pretty good at having 2 women's matches between the pre-show and main card PPV. Leading to the likes of Hikaru Shida & Thunder Rosa v. Nyla Rose & Jamie Hayter under the pretence of a TBS tournament preview.

With two PPVs in a week, easy to imagine the two women's titles being split between the main cards. Giving an opportunity to some kind of filler on the pre-shows. Which seemed more likely a few weeks ago when no one would have imagined the main event pulling double duty.

Wembley shouldn’t be for anyone who isn’t on the main shows weekly. Don’t really care if it’s Sakuras dream, pretty sure everyone on the roster has dreamed of a stadium show and many who are actually deserving aren’t even getting flown over 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Louch said:

Wembley shouldn’t be for anyone who isn’t on the main shows weekly. Don’t really care if it’s Sakuras dream, pretty sure everyone on the roster has dreamed of a stadium show and many who are actually deserving aren’t even getting flown over 

The point is less that it's her dream, and more that she's actually been plugging away at telling the story that it's her dream, when there are people on the card who have said fuck all about it. When someone is prepared to graft on her own time to make your show sound special, it's worth giving her a little something.

I don't even really buy the "shouldn't be for anyone who isn't on the main shows weekly", because who's on the main shows weekly is decided by the same guy who's booking Wembley - there's no reason he couldn't have started putting Emi on TV, is there? A pre-show match with Athena for the ROH belt, or with Statlander as a challenger for the TBS Title, both titles that aren't being defended on the show at all, wouldn't have been out of place.

Hell, they could have not had her on the show but used the story of her desperately wanting to work Wembley to put someone over in the tournament to get into the Fatal Four Way match - would have actually added some weight to it, rather than two complete foregone conclusion matches, where nobody thought for a second that The Bunny might be getting a title shot.