AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I think Emi Sakura absolutely deserves a spot on the card

"Deserves" is a funny thing I guess. Does she deserve a spot based on a career full of great matches, helping other wrestlers and hard work? Yeah, probably. But does she deserve a spot based on her AEW profile - vast majority of matches being on Dark or Dark Elevation, never won a title, never had a a major singles feud, match, storyline or big memorable angle? Absolutely not. 

But hey, that's AEW womens booking for you. If it was up to me Willow Nightingale would be winning a title at All In but instead we get talentless Saraya on the show.

Edited by LaGoosh

The problem is, there’s 2 very different conversations to be had.

Could the women’s division be booked better so that next time they hold a huge show more talented female athletes can feature? Absolutely.

Should they chuck a load of talented female athletes on the Wembley card regardless of how they’ve been booked in recent months? Absolutely not.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The problem is, there’s 2 very different conversations to be had.

Could the women’s division be booked better so that next time they hold a huge show more talented female athletes can feature? Absolutely.

Should they chuck a load of talented female athletes on the Wembley card regardless of how they’ve been booked in recent months? Absolutely not.

Might featuring them on the biggest show they've ever done be a way of booking and presenting them better?

• Paid Members

Putting them on the big show  without any build doesn’t really help, no. That’s been a big part of the problem. Doing a token main event or throwing them onto a big show to quiet down the critics for a day or two does not help. 

Shida being the pandemic champion and getting her second win and then this big defense on the biggest stage they’ve ever had should be a great feel good story. Instead they slapped the belt on her with no build, explained the pandemic champion thing as if they’d been telling the story for weeks when they hadn’t,  and this four way match on the grand stage is ice cold. 

I know Hayter would have been the plan for this show in particular but it’s just standard practise for AEW women’s booking. “Look, see, here are the women, shut up Twitter.” That Britt Baker jobber match the other week was such a glaring example of it that it felt like a deliberate piss take. 

Edited by JLM

10 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Anyone going to the Hooked On Wrestling Boxpark event before All In?

Going to the “pre-party” at box park, ordered 2 tickets when booking actual all in tickets. Got 2 QR codes. Not sure about Hooked on Wrestling event though? Still don’t really know what to expect from the pre-party

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Might featuring them on the biggest show they've ever done be a way of booking and presenting them better?

No. It’d be a way of having them stood in front of 80,000 people uncomfortably waiting for the tumbleweed to pass by so the show can carry on.

50 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The point is less that it's her dream, and more that she's actually been plugging away at telling the story that it's her dream, when there are people on the card who have said fuck all about it. When someone is prepared to graft on her own time to make your show sound special, it's worth giving her a little something.

I don't even really buy the "shouldn't be for anyone who isn't on the main shows weekly", because who's on the main shows weekly is decided by the same guy who's booking Wembley - there's no reason he couldn't have started putting Emi on TV, is there? A pre-show match with Athena for the ROH belt, or with Statlander as a challenger for the TBS Title, both titles that aren't being defended on the show at all, wouldn't have been out of place.

Hell, they could have not had her on the show but used the story of her desperately wanting to work Wembley to put someone over in the tournament to get into the Fatal Four Way match - would have actually added some weight to it, rather than two complete foregone conclusion matches, where nobody thought for a second that The Bunny might be getting a title shot. 

Begging to get on shows is for the indies, posting a few statuses on insta isn’t grafting. There are about ten woman on their roster with more appeal who should be on the show ahead of her if you want to go down the route of who should be featured to make it worth her being there. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The point is less that it's her dream, and more that she's actually been plugging away at telling the story that it's her dream, when there are people on the card who have said fuck all about it. When someone is prepared to graft on her own time to make your show sound special, it's worth giving her a little something.

I don't even really buy the "shouldn't be for anyone who isn't on the main shows weekly", because who's on the main shows weekly is decided by the same guy who's booking Wembley - there's no reason he couldn't have started putting Emi on TV, is there? A pre-show match with Athena for the ROH belt, or with Statlander as a challenger for the TBS Title, both titles that aren't being defended on the show at all, wouldn't have been out of place.

Hell, they could have not had her on the show but used the story of her desperately wanting to work Wembley to put someone over in the tournament to get into the Fatal Four Way match - would have actually added some weight to it, rather than two complete foregone conclusion matches, where nobody thought for a second that The Bunny might be getting a title shot. 

Emi has definitely won me over, but I think it's hard to justify including her on this card given her current status. If it were me, I'd want to see Willow on there, Athena (I also want to see Athena on Dynamite or Collision - it's astounding that she is not featured regularly on AEW TV at this point; what more does she have to do??) - and then you have Statlander, who is (as it stands) the only recognised champion who doesn't have a match on this card...

I really wish someone would prod Tony Khan a bit during his press conferences on AEW's treatment of women wrestlers. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I really wish someone would prod Tony Khan a bit during his press conferences on AEW's treatment of women wrestlers. 

If you ignore their gender, and had to pick a 10 match card of the best of AEW , most would have mostly male matches and one and at best two women’s matches based on their talent. Pick your top 30 AEW talent and tell me how many women make it in. That’s why they get a match or two, and not 50/50 split as many white knight on their behalf for as a reason knock AEW. 

• Paid Members

“White knight”. Ugh. 

It doesn’t need to be 50/50. Any sort of creative direction and storyline for the division would be great. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy at the moment. We make the women’s segments completely meaningless and directionless -> people don’t care -> why would we promote the women? Look, nobody cares. 

Back when WWE women were treated and presented as an after thought, nobody would have put their women on their dream card or dream roster either. Now they’ve had them main event WrestleMania.