AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's the same train, just two tickets as Lond-Coventry and Coventry-Preston is cheaper than London-Preston.

It's amazing. I'll never forget going to Cardiff on the train and the return was cheaper than a single. I wonder how many people only needing to go one way paid near double what they needed to instead of just buying a return ticket and simply not using the return. I assumed that Wales were simply imposing a surcharge to persuade the English visitors "Fuck off home, it's cheaper than if you stay."

• Paid Members

I laughed.

Originally, I assumed the Jericho/Callis thing coming out of nowhere was a panicked pivot once Bryan Danielson broke his arm. More fool me. The answer was far more obvious than that. Jericho doing a Jericho. Of course he’s wrestling Ospreay at Wembley. Of course!

I can one hundred per cent imagine him watching that Omega match at Forbidden Door, the lightbulb suddenly going off, realising Ospreay is British and they’re a few weeks away from Wembley.

IMG_5614.gif.a8867a16e08c5b9959ce6c5a8cd0b70c.gif

I bet he ran to Tony’s dressing room faster than his wife stormed the Capital.

To be fair, if they're swapping the matches round (I know they're not) I'd be fascinated by Omega vs. Sting. I don't think it's be any good, and they don't have enough time for Omega to heel it up enough for that match, but I also just can't imagine what that would look like. 

• Paid Members

The prospect of Jericho vs Ospreay is an awful one. Not just because as a match it is so unbelievably unexciting and uninteresting, not just because ofcourse Jericho would have the fucking hubris to do it, not just because it makes me massively question the sanity of Tony Khan and AEW management that they would think this is a remotely good idea but because Ospreay isn't even an AEW guy! This show should have the true AEW guys in all the top spots. Ospreay isn't some legend who deserves a singles match on the biggest show AEW will ever do, not a single ticket will be sold because of him. I don't want any of the AEW guys I've been following for years relegated to a battle royal or clusterfuck ladder match for some twat I can see at York Hall or wherever who doesn't even work for AEW. If they booked this and I was an AEW contracted talent I think I would go insane with rage.

If we're looking at it from a storyline perspective they should book Jericho vs Guevara as that's been subtly building for years. Not that I really want to see that match either but I could live with it as at least it'd make sense.

If only they could've held off and done the Sting/Darby vs Jericho/Sammy Tornado tag at All In rather than some random Dynamite everything would have been a lot better. 

9 hours ago, Chunk said:

Guess that means Ospreay / Omega III is being saved for Wrestle Kingdom then.

As predicted back in the Forbidden Door thread. No way were New Japan going to let the rubber match for one of their titles featuring one of their top stars happen on an AEW show.

And Ofcourse Jericho has shoehorned his way into working with one of the hot acts again. “Hey Tony, you know who’d be great for working with Osprey in his home country?….”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

He'll have been pitching it to the NJ office as well no doubt. Probably saying who better to have an IWGP US title defense against. Which would just make the match even more of a foregone conclusion.

After his recent promo it makes it more likely the title will be renamed. Since two of the biggest defenses will have been in Canada and the UK.

• Paid Members

The thing with Jericho too is he's clearly going to close his career out in WWE. I'm not saying you shouldn't invest into big talent you know won't be there forever, but you certainly don't waste opportunities with them like they constantly do with Jericho. Nobody in AEW has ever benefited from working against him and the amount of important matches and moments we could have had instead of Chris Jericho is worrying.

The worst thing about it is he's not even that good anymore. Fair enough if this was prime Jericho where at least the output would be worth it.

• Paid Members

I don't particularly care for Ospreay, so putting him in a match that's actually less likely to play to his strengths and might force something more interesting is actually a better outcome for me than if they'd done Ospreay/Omega again. I'd rather see Omega against somebody else anyway, and am happier seeing Jericho against Ospreay than I would be against Sammy Guevera, which feels a far more self-serving match for Jericho. Just so long as they aren't Meltzer-brained into thinking the show needs Ospreay to be a success, and that Ospreay/Jericho doesn't main event.