CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

and we can look forward to him calling everyone by their shoot names in agonising worked-shoots promos that go on for hours.

Are there any examples of that happening outside of the pipebomb and the “this is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque” one a few weeks later? I see this sort of sentiment around Punk quite a lot and perhaps I’m missing some examples but he hasn’t done it often, has he?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Are there any examples of that happening outside of the pipebomb and the “this is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque” one a few weeks later? I see this sort of sentiment around Punk quite a lot and perhaps I’m missing some examples but he hasn’t done it often, has he?

I mean, he literally called Colt Cabana by his real name in the scrum after All Out that caused all the problems. But that's just off the top of my head.

I suspect there are other examples. In fairness, I think it's just shorthand for him doing a bit of "shooty bollocks" with his promos which is definitely something tiresome he has done for a long time and with reasonable frequency. 

People talk about a brand split/roster split just because it's a short hand that they've become accustomed. Other than keeping Punk and the Elite away from each other I don't see they're being much difference to what we're used to seeing from AEW. Basically Rampage when everyone kept hoping it would change timeslots to something in primetime and 2hrs.

Which just makes Rampage a complete afterthought.

11 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I mean, he literally called Colt Cabana by his real name in the scrum after All Out that caused all the problems. But that's just off the top of my head.

That’s hardly a worked-shoot promo though. Those scrums are not even remotely kayfabe or part of the show. That’s not just limited to AEW either, just a few weeks ago Triple H was talking openly about why they decided against Cody winning. 

13 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I suspect there are other examples. In fairness, I think it's just shorthand for him doing a bit of "shooty bollocks" with his promos which is definitely something tiresome he has done for a long time and with reasonable frequency. 

We probably have different ideas on what constitutes “shooty bollocks” to be honest. I wouldn’t necessarily consider it worked-shooty if the content makes sense in the story they’re telling.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

we can look forward to him calling everyone by their shoot names in agonising worked-shoots promos that go on for hours.

This is already happening, done by people with a thimble of Big Phil's charisma and promo ability. 

• Awards Moderator
54 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

People talk about a brand split/roster split just because it's a short hand that they've become accustomed. Other than keeping Punk and the Elite away from each other I don't see they're being much difference to what we're used to seeing from AEW. Basically Rampage when everyone kept hoping it would change timeslots to something in primetime and 2hrs.

Which just makes Rampage a complete afterthought.

Looking at the AEW website's roster page there's nearly 150 active performers on their roster. Splitting a group of that size isn't likely to increase most people's chances of TV time so, like you say, probably won't feel all that different.

No doubt CM Punk's name would have brought up in the TV negotiations, but AEW's low production costs and consistent ratings would have been much bigger factors in sealing the deal.

I just hope it's something different. For all the shit he comes out with, Bischoff cites having to generate 2 weekly hours of Thunder as being one of the big reasons WCW started really going downhill. If Tony K has managed a better financial deal than that (which was, supposedly, nothing, so Thunder ate into the Nitro and PPV budget), then it needs a clear visual and in-ring identity. Right now it feels like this:

Dynamite - THE wrestling

Rampage - wrestlingwrestlingwrestlingwrestling

ROH - wrestling ... wrestling ...

If their house show schedule was more frequent than one weekend a month, I'd be advocating for a show of highlights and full matches fromthe road, in different venues with a focus on roving cameras, but not for 2 hours.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Bischoff cites having to generate 2 weekly hours of Thunder as being one of the big reasons WCW started really going downhill

That's because he won't admit he was a shit booker and a big mark for Hogan who was obsessed with nwo being a "brand" and not an angle.

His principal is right, too much TV isn't generally a good thing creatively, but they never even tried with thunder.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

The real worry with the introduction of the Saturday show is how the hell Exacalibur is going to have enough breath to go through each week's lineups, especially if there's a pay-per-view. He's going to end up passed out at the desk!

Spare a thought for Ace Steel at this time, sitting in the Job Centre, reading about Punk's return. Someone needs to warn Danhausen. Bening Punk's mate is not a good long-term investment.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

I just hope it's something different. For all the shit he comes out with, Bischoff cites having to generate 2 weekly hours of Thunder as being one of the big reasons WCW started really going downhill. If Tony K has managed a better financial deal than that (which was, supposedly, nothing, so Thunder ate into the Nitro and PPV budget), then it needs a clear visual and in-ring identity. Right now it feels like this:

At the time Nitro was moving to 3 hours as well. There's a few things going on that changed the dynamic.

Applying Thunder's introduction to AEW's modern day situation, i'd say the main lesson to learn from it is that WCW should have cancelled Saturday Night. TBS had a 2hr B show and then added another on a different day. Thunder's booking was not massively different from Saturday Night's in 96-97.

Having Rampage on a Friday night following by 2hr version on Saturday isn't helping anyone. Either cancel Rampage or make it the women's show to at least completely differentiate from everything else.

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Any reason people are comparing to thunder, which was pushed on them by the network, and not smack down?

Hey, that 2 hour live wrestling show is really popular! How about we do the exact same thing on the network's sister channel? As an initial selling point here's an aging 40 something wrestler as the centrepiece.

Can't see any similarities at all.