CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

33 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Nakamura did another GTS.

And Wade Barrett said something about it being Ricochet’s bed time.

I’m not a huge believer of Jay they were ever dropping real teases, but I do think they could be on the wind up now.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

And Wade Barrett said something about it being Ricochet’s bed time.

I'm going to be pedantic - that's not a Punk hint. That's merely an allusion to the move being called Go 2 Sleep, as it's been since KENTA named it a few years before Punk started using it.

42 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I'm going to be pedantic - that's not a Punk hint. That's merely an allusion to the move being called Go 2 Sleep, as it's been since KENTA named it a few years before Punk started using it.

Technically correct, but not where the association lies.

Like I say, I don't think the initial hints were hints at all really, but I definitely think some people are having a bit of fun with it now. Because, if you wanted it to stop completely, you'd cut all this shit out completely.

If I was Phil, and I hadn't already signed a contract, i'd be a bit worried that the 'hints' haven't yet broken past Wrestling Twitter. 5 years ago the crowds would be going wild, but now it doesn't seem to have made an impression on real people at all.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Difference now being he's already come back and made a tit of himself. So that hunger isn't there from the crowd. Plus WWE's crowds are a lot more casual I'd say.

Probably why the weekly shows are routinely fun to watch, for the first time in forever.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Like I say, I don't think the initial hints were hints at all really, but I definitely think some people are having a bit of fun with it now. Because, if you wanted it to stop completely, you'd cut all this shit out completely.

Some of them are absolutely blatant though. WWE was sold to Endeavour, which is the first name of Inspector Morse. Morse was assisted by Lewis who, in his spin off series was involved in a case involving one Vernon Oxe. Vernon is coincidentally the first name of the guitarist Vernon Reid who is best known for being in the band Living Colour, and their best known song? Cult Of Personality. 

Although, a lot of matches don’t end cleanly and that drives fans Mad. Mad could mean Madusa who threw her belt in the Bin. Bin? And a non clean finish is known as a Dusty finish. That’s right, you’ve won Dusty Bin. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Difference now being he's already come back and made a tit of himself. So that hunger isn't there from the crowd. Plus WWE's crowds are a lot more casual I'd say.

I’d also argue a huge reason why people would chant for CM Punk was in protest of the dross they used to have to sit through. Miserable TV, all your favourites always losing, shows specifically designed to antagonise and drive people away. None of that is the case anymore. WWE is great fun. Their fans are having the time of their lives. It’s the best it’s been in decades. They’ve got no reason to protest. They’re too busy cheering on all the red hot babyfaces. Stay at home, sulky pants!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’d also argue a huge reason why people would chant for CM Punk was in protest of the dross they used to have to sit through. Miserable TV, all your favourites always losing, shows specifically designed to antagonise and drive people away.

Yeah. Helps that I've just covered late 13/early 14 in the house show thread that I remember the landscape so well, but the crowds put all their energy into support for Punk and Daniel Bryan, who were both getting beaten up by The Shield or The Wyatt Family every week, while the apathy was stunning through either awkward silence of deafening negative chants for another stale retread of Orton vs Cena as they waited patiently to move on to Orton vs Batista. Punk getting hoisted out of the Rumble by stale-as-month-old-bread Kane, then moving him onto costing Bryan the belt in the Chamber after Punk quit, was the absolute nadir.

Worth noting, Orton vs Cena 2013 version wasn't enough, and the company was compelled to make them wrestle each other again at Hell In A Cell 2014. Words fail me.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

A Cena/Orton stare off in a Rumble match around that time to absolutely no reaction always made me laugh.

Not even! I believe the one you're talking about is from the 40 man one in 2011, nearly 4 years before their last PPV match!!

One more match!  One more match!  Is there any way they could build that for a PPV in the modern era, or is that well completely dry?  With Cena being semi-unretired you do wonder what PPV matches he'd be interested in doing.