Lanny Poffo has passed away.

Nick James

• Paid Members

I met him at an event, you got to meet everyone twice so I took stuff for the second loop, a dollar bill for DiBiase and virgil, a single with tito and Martell and a double as strike force for example. 

What was my second shot with the genius? I rummage around and plumped for his full page spread in wrestlecrap book of lists, detailing his big perm/mullet. As he signed it he stopped to talk about his big perm/mullet and told us a story which was near word for word what was in the book. 

The nicest people I met at these events when I went was probably funk, piper, him and surprisingly zeus. Just seemed so happy to be there. 

I'll see if I can dig it out and snap a photo. 

• Paid Members

Totally unexpected as he'd been posting on his Facebook about going to see Wicked on Broadway the other day. He did seem like a lovely chap, and was brilliant as the Genius. 

If you want to watch a really good Lanny Poffo match, check out his one against Terry Funk from the July 13th, 1985 MSG show. It's on the Network and it's well worth your time. 

Lanny was really good at his job and I think it's a bit unfair that he's been 'Jannetty'd' by some because he was Randy's younger and less successful brother. I reckon if I was a fan in the mid-to-late 80's, Lanny would have been one of my favourites due to his high-flying style (the same way Essa Rios became my favourite when I started watching obsessively in 2000).

I know Rob Van Dam references Lanny and Brady Boone as two of his biggest inspirations for getting into the business. 

Glad he seemed to have had a nice post-wrestling life, by all accounts. I don't think I've really ever heard anybody who has ever had dealings with him say a bad word about him. 

• Paid Members

His RF shoot interview way back in the day was hilarious. Remember cry laughing at him telling a story about a run in with Ole Anderson. Weird guy but always enjoyed his mad energy. Genuis was underrated. 

Edited by Maverick

A real shame. RIP Genius.

He came off like such a lovely guy in interviews. Knew his limitations, knew his lane, made the absolute most of it and seemed to come out of the end genuinely happy. I just did a YT search and found a short squash vs Rude - Leaping Lanny gets the jobber's (non-)entrance and little offence, but they still got him spitting bars on the mic about Rude making a huge mistake going after Jake Roberts' missus, because you don't have THAT voice on the card and NOT give it the mic.