First Gig/Best Gig/Worst Gig

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

This is tough for me. My dad was a musician, no in reality he was a con man but when he wasn't doing that he was a musician. He played a lot of pubs, clubs and holiday parks in the 70s-80s and I went with him a lot from the age of about 8. He either played with his mate George as backing for whatever singer was booked (If you imagine Les Alanos from Phoenix Nights then you wouldn't be far wrong) or with the band he was in called Beezlebub. So I saw a lot of awful musicians who were never going to make it, something that would ironically be replicated by watching a lot of bad wrestlers who were never going to make it in those same clubs and pubs years later. 

So the first gig I paid my own money for is a bit hazy but I think it was Jean-Michel Jarre Destination Docklands. Another recurring theme in my life here which is paying to get into something that I could have easily seen for free. A really good gig but it did ruin firework displays for me for a long time. 

Best Gig is a tough one, honourable mentions to Pulp at Sheffield Arena in 1996 or  Propellerheads at Sheffield Octagon in 1998 or 99, I can't exactly remember. The best though was Cream at The Royal Albert Hall in 2005. Went to the first night as you couldn't be sure of Ginger not falling out with everyone. When we got in there were 2 people say it's n our seats, and I had to say to them that they were sat in the wrong seats and they were the other side of the aisle. Luckily it was Brian May and Anita Dobson and they couldn't have been lovelier, even though Brian did blame Anita for sitting in the wrong place. 

Worst. Radiohead Manchester Arena 2003. Gig was alright but had my car stolen and had to fork out for a hotel and train home next day. I wouldn't have minded but it was the worst car in the carpark. 

• Paid Members

First gig was Alter Bridge in around 2006 in Wolverhampton. Could have been their first UK tour. It was fine for a first gig, Metalingus was huge, but I remember the support bands (Logan and Biff Naked) being dire.

Best gig was probably Brian Fallon in 2018 in Birmingham. There wasn't anything hugely amazing about the gig itself, but it coincided with it being just a really nice period of my life so I always look back at it fondly. A couple of Frank Turner gigs (before he disappeared up his own arse) would be up there too, along with finally getting to see Against Me at Slam Dunk a few years back.

Worst gig - I've been quite lucky with gigs to be honest, but I don't go to many and I usually only bother going to see someone if I'm a huge fan. So I'd probably say Moose Blood who my mate dragged me to see. Not that they were bad, but it was one of those gigs where I didn't know any of the songs and the crowd seemed to be made up of those creepy pop-punk blokes who are in their early 30s but still knocking about with 17 year olds.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately my first gig was Boyzone with a relatively unknown Peter Andre opening for them. My Mum was taking my sister and a few of her mates and one of the mates dropped out and I was brought along against my will. It was the worst just in terms of being forced to go. My first proper gig that I paid to go to was a Slayer show in Camden. 

Best was the Slipknot/Machine Head/Children of Bodom triple header at Hammersmith Apollo. I did love Guns n Roses at the London Stadium just for the fact I got to see Axl and Slash together. 

Worst that I paid for was Sum 41 about 10 or 11 years ago. I forget where it was at now but they were the biggest disappointment in terms of seeing a live band. 

Anyone ever been blown away by a support act that they never heard or before? I saw The Libertines in 2021 and they had a band called The DSM IV opening for them who I became enamoured with. The lead singer was just fascinating to watch. Although he did dedicate a song to the victims of Peter Sutcliffe which came out of nowhere. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Anyone ever been blown away by a support act that they never heard or before? I saw The Libertines in 2021 and they had a band called The DSM IV opening for them who I became enamoured with. The lead singer was just fascinating to watch. Although he did dedicate a song to the victims of Peter Sutcliffe which came out of nowhere. 

That's the amazing Guy McKnight formerly of The eighties matchbox B-line disaster. DSM IV are great too but unfortunately don't seem to ne picking up as much steam as I'd hoped.

First was Oasis. The first of 2 nights at Loch Lomond in the summer of '96. My parents took my brother to both but I was only allowed to go to the first as I am the second born and second favourite. 

I was only 9 years old at the time but I am glad that I can remember it quite vividly. We lived about a mile from the venue at the time and it just felt like the entire world has descended on our town. I had just got a CD Walkman for Christmas in '95 and listened to Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory every single day and obviously this was around the peak of the Britpop / Cool Britannia era. 

Best is a tough one as I've been lucky to enough to see just about everyone I've ever wanted to see over the years. Honourable mentions would be sitting about 2 or 3 metres from Rodger Waters playing songs from Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and Animals. I've been a Metallica die-hard for 20 odd years now so every single time I've seen them has been pretty special to me. Loved seeing the Dio line up of Sabbath. Seeing the Beastie Boys on my 18th Birthday. Against Me!, Tool, AC/DC...Its a tough one to nail down.

If it counts, I would go with Biffy Clyro doing their 3 night residency at the Barrowlands in Glasgow in December of 2014. This was after they finished tour Opposites which is their 6th album. They did sets themed around 2 albums per night plus B-sides voted for by ticket holders. A legendary venue which was dressed up beautifully for the occasion. Just magic. I went and got a big Infinity Land tattoo on the Monday in the midst of the biggest comedown ever. 

Always sad to say this but my answer is always the same. Worst is without a doubt Smashing Pumpkins during the 2007 comeback. I am an absolutely massive fan and truly adore Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Those are records I would take to a desert island with me. They were headlining Reading and Leads festivals and added a fairly last minute and relatively intimate show at the academy in Glasgow. It sold out instantly but I managed to get a single ticket someone returned to Tickets Scotland and went by myself.

It was just crap. Bloated, overly long, indulgent slop and played by people who seemed completely disconnected and disinterested to a crowd who were bored. I remember thinking "how can it be that I am standing here watching this but I am just thinking about what food to get for the train home when this eventually ends?" Awful.

Would have been rubbish on any scale but it just really stung as its a band I adore (wahey!).

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

The first gig I went to was Leo Sayer at the Coventry Theatre. My mum had an LP of his that I loved so she took us to see him. I must have been about six or seven. 

First “Proper” one was Dio at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre. I think it was Lock Up The Wolves tour and Trouble supported. 

Best is probably Flaming Lips at Jodrell Bank. It felt more like a party than a gig probably because of the setting. (British) Sea Power were the main support so that more than made up for OK Go being on the bill. It was the first gig at Jodrell Bank so it wasn’t the best organisation but it has since evolved into Bluedot and is magical. But that night is one I go to for a happy place. Runners up are Faith No More / L7 on the Angel Dust tour and Bjork when Volta came out. Declare Independence was mass communion, not experienced anything like it. 

The worst were Alice In Chains. It was pre Dirt and I’m guessing they were on the horse because they couldn’t be arsed and played like it. 

• Paid Members

First gig was Queens of the Stone Age at the Brixton Academy. They were good then, and Mark Lanegan was with them. Sparta supported, the other band that formed from the remains of At The Drive In that no one remembers. 

Best gig was probably Future Islands at the Roundhouse, which was the first time I saw them in around 2014 or 15. Just joyous. 

Worst gig I can take my pick from the shite my ex would drag me to. Least favourite that I haven't blocked out was either Feeder or Paramore. Both Not My Cup of Tea. 

Edited by gmoney

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

First “Proper” one was Dio at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre. I think it was Lock Up The Wolves tour and Trouble supported. 

The worst were Alice In Chains. It was pre Dirt and I’m guessing they were on the horse because they couldn’t be arsed and played like it. 

I always love hearing about big metal acts playing places like this. Iron Maiden at Whitley Bay Ice Rink etc. 

I never got to see AIC play with Layne which is a gutter. I did see them touring Black Gives way to Blue a couple of times in 2008 and 2009 and thought they were absolutely brilliant. Jerry Cantrell is just one of my favourite musicians. 

• Awards Moderator

My first was a birthday gift from my old man, Eric Clapton at the Nynex (I think). But that’s when I was getting into Blues music and before Eric was outed as a massive racist bellend.

The first I chose to go to was Blur at the Royal Court in town, for their tour when they’d released their eponymous album. Beetlebum live for the first time was almost a religious experience so it’s also up there as one of my best as well as one of my first.

The other bests are tough to separate; like HG, each Springsteen gig could win it (special mentions to Hanover ‘13 and Manchester ‘16), but if we exclude him it’ll be one from these which were all beautiful and special:

- Alexi Murdoch at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2015

- Seafret at Gorilla in Manchester (an incredible venue) in 2019

- Kate Nash at the Masque in ‘13 (fight me)

- Eric Bibb at the Robin2 just outside Wolverhampton (another brilliant venue) in ‘13

But more recently, I was privileged enough to see Murkage Dave in Islington. Think I mentioned it in another thread a few weeks ago, but his music dragged me out of my own arse in recent years so after a lack of live music throughout the first couple of years of Covid, it being an intimate venue and seeing friends throughout the day, well it was just really, really special.

The worst was John Mayall at the Phil in 2017. Had been looking forward to it given those he’d played with over the years, but it was absolutely shite. Me and my old man walked out with dozens of others. He’s probably still playing now, oblivious, the mad old get.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

17 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Springsteen…Manchester ‘16)

I cannot thank you enough for this. You me and Butch holding each other and screaming as we got very wet is etched into my mind, and now hopefully in everyone else’s too. 

First gig was Simply Red at Sheffield Arena in 1995 aged 10. Went with my mum because she had a spare ticket. They were actually great.

First proper gig was the NME Awards Tour in January 2002. Andrew WK, Lost Prophets (yikes), Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Coral. Just a big group of mates getting pissed up and bouncing around. That was also the gig where a few of us had the "Shall we start a band" chat and started playing our own gigs a couple of months after.

Best gig is a tough one. Seeing Napalm Death in a 100 capacity venue in Sheffield that didn't even have a stage will take some beating. It was complete fucking chaos. Crowdsurfers were hanging on to bits of the ceiling so they didn't fly in to the drum kit and everybody circle pitted around Barney during Siege Of Power. Seeing BB King and Gary Moore, on the same bill, Ozzy at The Roundhouse in 2010 and a secret Korn gig are all tied for second.

Worst gig was King 187 when they opened for Korn and Slipknot. Genuinely the biggest bag of shit. EAST 17 a couple of years back featuring Terry and a couple of random blokes playing the roles of Tony and Brian was a close second.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Just how old are you? I thought he'd been on record publicly as being that way inclined since the mid 70s at least. 

Okay, maybe I should have worded it as ‘when I read he was a massive racist bellend not long after getting into his work’.