TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, AndyUK said:

See the Cross the Line theme is returning tonight as well. Going full on with the nostalgia.

WE WANT SIX SIDES! (clap clap, clap clap clap) WE WANT SIX SIDES!

6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

WE WANT SIX SIDES! (clap clap, clap clap clap) WE WANT SIX SIDES!

I know the wrestlers didn't like the ring, but some of the matches that came out of it, like Six Sides of Steel, or Ultimate X, were really good and absolutely brand unique to TNA.  

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

I know the wrestlers didn't like the ring, but some of the matches that came out of it, like Six Sides of Steel, or Ultimate X, were really good and absolutely brand unique to TNA.  

Eric Bischoff (1995) : "I knew I couldn't be better than the WWF, so I focused on as many ways as I could to be different to them."

Also Eric Bischoff (2010) : "Six sided ring? Fuck that. Wrestling rings have four sides."

Watched the main event just because I'm absolutely obsessed with Will ospreay at the moment, it was a bloody good match and my first introduction to Josh Alexander and I didn't hate him but the entire last chunk of the match he felt like a wannabe Kurt angle, I'm guessing that comparison is intentional though. 

They really did kick it up a gear as they got to the finish and impressed me massively but how can you not enjoy a ospreay match with the run he's had the past year or so now incredible.

Watched the grizzled young vets match which was also enjoyable and fun it is so good to get those two back out there with the fantastic attitude and shit they didn't have a chance to have in the WWE 

Enjoyable I'll check out the next few weeks and see how it goes 

• Paid Members

Still don't like the six-sider for the regular ring - I maintain they should use the four-sider for the regular matches and events, and the six-sider for the X-Division as a means of marking it out as special (especially as I've never been happy with their definition of the X-Division in kayfabe - there's no difference in rules, weights, stips, so why not use the six-sider as a means of defining it?). 

• Paid Members

I actually enjoyed this episode more than HTK, partially as they’re able to iron out some of the famous Impact live production snafus in post production. 

While I’d prefer a 6 sided ring I understand why they don’t use it, but the new colour scheme looks tremendous imo. Really good choice of an x-division style opener and not too much nonsense on the show either (mindful of a potential bigger audience to impress I’d imagine).

Decent shout to turn Kazarian heel given there’s an imbalance of babyfaces and heels atm and I can’t imagine a Kaz/Eric Young feud being shit by any means.

Nic Nemeth segments are gaining serious traction for TNA on Youtube so don’t expect him to go away anytime soon. He does come across as ‘big time’ in TNA world to be fair.

Will Ospreay v Alexander was tremendous, but it was always going to be wasn’t it?

Scott D’amore can be a bit cringe but fuck it, I got a kick out of his closing promo.

Just a reminder of why I keep sticking with this promotion. Its not the biggest, richest nor always one for the purists, but its usually fun.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

What a match. Presumably the rubber match goes down at Bound For Glory or Slammiversary.

Nemeth's promo was alright. I like that he didn't open the TNA era with one of those "I was overlooked where I am, and I'm here to prove I should have had the opportunities" sour grapes promos that all the ex WWE guys used to cut. The future is looking pretty bright.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:26 AM, Carbomb said:

Still don't like the six-sider for the regular ring - I maintain they should use the four-sider for the regular matches and events, and the six-sider for the X-Division as a means of marking it out as special (especially as I've never been happy with their definition of the X-Division in kayfabe - there's no difference in rules, weights, stips, so why not use the six-sider as a means of defining it?). 

This has always been my bug bear with the x div too. Especially when guys like Abyss were winning it. 

• Paid Members
On 1/19/2024 at 1:26 PM, Carbomb said:

I absolutely loved the 6 sided ring as a point of difference. Old TNA felt a bit like just another Indy except slightly bigger budget, more ex WWE names and reliability of certain performers (Styles for one) to give you a good match. The first time I saw Impact from Universal with the six sided ring and the “real sport” style header showing who was wrestling, the time left on the time limit and “Fox Sports .Net” in the corner it immediately stood out as looking different and combined with the “something for everyone” composition of cards with X Division, decent tags, big lads clubbing each other and some ex WWE name value guys, it felt like a true successor to WCW (in a good way) had come along. It does help that I saw Turning Point around the same time, and Macho Man debacle aside (which I knew from PS had already fizzled out) I thought “OK, I’m giving this a shot.” So I always associate “the six sided ring” with part of their identity and will always be said it was jettisoned.

Or, it’s just nostalgia for when they were at their best.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

I absolutely loved the 6 sided ring as a point of difference. Old TNA felt a bit like just another Indy except slightly bigger budget, more ex WWE names and reliability of certain performers (Styles for one) to give you a good match. The first time I saw Impact from Universal with the six sided ring and the “real sport” style header showing who was wrestling, the time left on the time limit and “Fox Sports .Net” in the corner it immediately stood out as looking different and combined with the “something for everyone” composition of cards with X Division, decent tags, big lads clubbing each other and some ex WWE name value guys, it felt like a true successor to WCW (in a good way) had come along. It does help that I saw Turning Point around the same time, and Macho Man debacle aside (which I knew from PS had already fizzled out) I thought “OK, I’m giving this a shot.” So I always associate “the six sided ring” with part of their identity and will always be said it was jettisoned.

Or, it’s just nostalgia for when they were at their best.

That's absolutely fair - I don't have a problem with the six-sider in itself, but I would prefer that they had a proper reason for having it, other than "it just looks different". 

An example for me of how a six-sider was used well was the Toryumon 2000 Project - essentially, they were aiming to showcase a "state-of-the-art" new generation of wrestlers coming up from their school, wrestling cutting-edge, exciting, and fast-paced styles of lucharesu and llave, and the ring itself looked futuristic, being a six-sider with shiny black ropes and apron, and sci-fi style graphics on the apron.

As for TNA, they could've used the six-sider to say "The X-Division is about limitless action, and the six-sider is the only thing that holds up under such pressure", or something along those lines. A bit like how World Extreme Cagefighting, prior to being bought by the UFC, almost guaranteed exciting and action-filled matches by having a smaller cage to encourage closer quarters.

19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's absolutely fair - I don't have a problem with the six-sider in itself, but I would prefer that they had a proper reason for having it, other than "it just looks different". 

I genuinely don’t have an issue with that reason. Looking different from your rivals can be a huge positive even if the product is fairly similar. There are points of WWE I look back on with nostalgia that I thought were crap at the time purely because the product is so over-produced now and I liked the look of it back then. I think you need to take every opportunity to look different at the minute when there are so many options available to fans in terms of viewing.

TNA will forever be asked about the six-sided ring as it is fairly synonymous with the brand to people who watched TNA when it was at its best.

I completely understand why they don’t have it though if it’s as bad on the body as some say but it will always come up as a topic.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, FUM said:

I genuinely don’t have an issue with that reason. Looking different from your rivals can be a huge positive even if the product is fairly similar. There are points of WWE I look back on with nostalgia that I thought were crap at the time purely because the product is so over-produced now and I liked the look of it back then. I think you need to take every opportunity to look different at the minute when there are so many options available to fans in terms of viewing.

TNA will forever be asked about the six-sided ring as it is fairly synonymous with the brand to people who watched TNA when it was at its best.

I completely understand why they don’t have it though if it’s as bad on the body as some say but it will always come up as a topic.

Again, absolutely fair - I'm going just from the subjective viewpoint that I would like loose ends tying up, like having a kayfabe reason for the six-sider, and also giving the X-Division a kayfabe definition at the same time. I would never say it shouldn't come up, am just posting what I don't like about the six-sider in itself.

• Paid Members

I also think "Six Sides Of Steel" sounded brilliant when a feud was intense enough to merit a cage match, even more than the old "... inside the fifteen foot high steel cage" from my childhood.