• Paid Members

Shida is absolutely battering the shit out of Storm backstage next week leading to Baker saying along the lines of "time to show you who the real boss is" and Mercedes coming out to even the numbers. Crowd in attendance will pop for it. That'll be all that matters on the night.

16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is it though? Wouldn't they want more people to tune in to the show?

Social media went through a rollercoaster ride that from hype to disappointment over the Wrestle Kingdom debut. If she was promoted as the tag partner I could see the talk in the aftermath being of disappointment.

If DMD v. Saraya & Storm actually happens then Storm & Hayter can carry the heavy lifting. A post-match debut or somewhere else would get the Saraya debut buzz from being unexpected and leads into the next week's build.

I liked the set. I hear the dislike of a collection of screens, but I think this worked really well. Made the show feel bigger (although that is also because of a big, hot crowd and not 4,000 in Bridgeport, CT).

Great show, too. I'm enjoying Jeff Jarrett way more than I thought I would. But I was *this* close to getting online to rage about The Acclaimed dropping the belts.

I liked the tunnels, they will be missed 

more it not being Mercedes in the tag, it’s better to pull her and have a built to singles match than waste her in a tag match that has all the ingredients to be poor. Maybe she got hurt doing that move she messed up at wrestlekingdom. Made Saraya seem like more of an idiot dragging out announcing it, but I don’t see her lasting there so why not land the shite on her door. 

52 minutes ago, Louch said:

more it not being Mercedes in the tag, it’s better to pull her and have a built to singles match than waste her in a tag match that has all the ingredients to be poor.

With Rampage being live and Britt & Jamie tagging there's the potential for some interaction between everyone that causes Toni to be taken out. It's not like The Renegades will be getting much of a match.

I can see them flipping it to a 3 way tag with Shida being the one to bring Mercedes in and Saraya and Storm being the de-facto arrogant ex WWE heels who think they're better than AEW.

That's a decentish 6 women to have at the top of the card for your women's division for a few months. Moné and Shida feuding afterwards feels like something that everyone involved can get behind as well.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is it though? Wouldn't they want more people to tune in to the show?

They blow their surprise a week early and Mercedes turns out, with ring rust and the possibility that time away and how the reaction wasn't all positive about her recent appearance, she faults again.

In response having her come out to save Saraya and Storm, or align with Shida, or just decide to batter Baker for herself, there's more variety going into next week than her getting the hot tag and win and staring down Hayter straight after.

Its been a bloody good week for wrestling. I really enjoyed watching the entire show on my journey today and it's leading into some bloody brilliant potential match ups in the coming weeks now.

Still just want the tag belts put on Team Neverland (The Boy Who Never Grew Up and HOOK).

• Paid Members

Good show overall, lots of fun. I will say though, I'm glad other people seem to be enjoying it, but the Hangman v Moxley feud is a dud to me. I'm sure they'll have a good match, but I'm sick of these boring promos and segments between them, even if Mox did some big swears this week. The MJF/Branielson segment was tonnes better, though went on a bit too long. 

I thought Nick Wayne was going to get involved in the main event after Joe tussled with him and they kept mentioning his dad training Darby, but nothing came of it.

4 hours ago, 69MeDon said:

Great show, too. I'm enjoying Jeff Jarrett way more than I thought I would. But I was *this* close to getting online to rage about The Acclaimed dropping the belts.

Honestly, Jeff Jarrett is turning into the same kind of surprise package Sting and Billy Gunn both have, for me. It's an absolute miracle that he's as good as he is at his age. 

I've no idea why exactly, but I'd love to see him wrestle Bryan Danielson. The idea of the pair of them facing one another is to weird to me that I really want to see it. They feel like they exist in different universes. 

• Paid Members

A cracking show. If they can maintain anything close to this quality each week then 2023 is going to clear up the stain that was 2022. Everything on this show was good.

Don't like the new entrance set. Feels very WWE. The layout of the screens makes it look like the letter T which is weird. The new announcers desk looks the absolute business though. Production as a whole was noticeably smoother, all the little dodgy kinks ironed out, better sound and small touches that made it feel more big time.

The announcing had some cracking moments. Schiavone cracking up at the Disco Inferno mention. Taz trying to come up with names for Swerve's mystery nazi. When MJF was contemplating Danielson's Iron Man challenge Schiavone saying "do it, dumbass!".

Darby Allin is low key the best wrestler in the world. Never has a match less than very good and brings out the best in every opponent. Joe vs Darby is a dream pairing. Hoping for a third match to round this out. Surprised Joe dropped the title as he's on fire but can't complain about a title change this epic. Also with Joe he's basically held together with string these days so you probably can't book him in a prominent position long term.

Somehow Jarrett, Lethal, Dutt and Singh have turned out to be an absolutely excellent heel midcard gang. Jarrett is a joy to watch, what a man. He deserves this spot. And The Acclaimed can do no wrong at the moment. 

Jade Cargill does a beautiful chokeslam. Still hoping Willow Nightingale takes the TBS title off her. I think the womens division as a whole is getting pretty strong.

Starks style doesn't really fit with Jericho's later stage style but the match was fine, right result and post match angle. Not sure where it's going but could easily see some kind of united babyface superfriends vs JAS story being built up.

The possibility of a SHIDA heel turn worries me. She's so loveable.

Next week again looks out of this world. With a roster this deep and varied plenty of unique top level matches you can put on each week without blowing through all your PPV main events on free TV.

I actually like the new look of Dynamite, particularly the colour scheme. 

Anyway it's now clearly obvious that ROH was the main thing shitting up AEW TV. Even Battle of The Belts looks like a tasty show this time without the ROH stench lingering over it. 

On Mercedes I'm wondering if she's really coming in for an immediate feud with Jade and the Saraya stuff is actually misdirection.

As for Saraya I didn't see that segment as Shida teasing a heel turn at all. She was blatantly being disrespected by Saraya and Storm, I think the commentators even pointed that out. 

If it is supposed to be Shida being jealous then that was a shit way of trying to get that across.

Edit. 

Also The Gunns are a wonderful pair of shit heads.

Edited by The King Of Swing