The Moxley/Kingston promo was lightning. Can't wait for the match and Eddie getting his win in New York.

The devil ninja stuff is very funny. I can't say I understand why people are so caught up in this angle considering it's been dead ever since Bullet Club Gold completely no sold the attack and well... AEWs storytelling is clearly rubbish and not worth your trust. The more it goes into silly wrestlecrap the better for me. How does Joe always find himself in these daft angles?

The Jericho and Callis stuff is far more annoying. I'd forgotten Hobbs and Takeshita were employed. Acknowledging bad booking on screen and still doing nothing about it is one of the most infuriating things AEW does. Worst of all is the return of shitty Sammy Guavarra, with his 75th turn and doomed to fail babyface push. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

The thing with the Devil's mates is that it plays into every "it's just wrestling" logic void possible - but worst on this episode is the triple whammy of Samoa Joe waiting until the most dramatic moment to turn heel on MJF, rather than just attacking him immediately, them baiting and switching the exact same tag team match for the second time in maybe less than a month, and having two anonymous masked men wrestle and win titles on the same show that established that Keith Lee vs. Swerve Strickland will only happen if both men sign the contract for it - so who signed for this match, and why didn't MJF just read the contract?

It's going to be Adam Cole revealed at the PPV, and then hopefully we can move on to a more satisfying and straightforward story. The only new twist I'm expecting is that I think Cole will be in the ring when the Devil appears on-screen - he will unmask on-screen, revealing that the video of the Devil was always a pre-recording. MJF will turn around dumbstruck into a superkick or a crutch shot from Cole. If it goes down any other way I'll be amazed.

It's such a shame this episode ended with that shite, as the Continental Classic stuff was superb. Hard to reconcile it all being the same company booking this stuff at times.

One last thing - I love Orange Cassidy's new shtick of assuming that anyone talking about wanting an opportunity is always after a match with him, and I hope he preemptively accepts Sting's retirement match.

• Paid Members

IMG_7323.jpeg.d3655b3e751feb38afa3395a8c017cca.jpeg

Knew I recognised them! Literally a video game angle.

Anyway, last night’s result is great to see. With any luck, the new ROH Tag Champs, along with the Devil, will now do the decent thing, move to Thursday Nights behind a paywall, and I’ll never have to watch this shite again.

• Paid Members

Shawn Spears has finished up with AEW. I really enjoyed the Chairman gimmick and was one of the few people on here who was into the unprotected shot to Cody and the following feud. A shame they actually found something fairly interesting for someone lower down the card, got one push into them then quickly forgot about them. The AEW Special.
I think if push came to shove he’d be in my Boys Stable.

26 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Shawn Spears has finished up with AEW. I really enjoyed the Chairman gimmick and was one of the few people on here who was into the unprotected shot to Cody and the following feud. A shame they actually found something fairly interesting for someone lower down the card, got one push into them then quickly forgot about them. The AEW Special.
I think if push came to shove he’d be in my Boys Stable.

Yeah for someone who was in that "fans list of people they'd get rid of" he did find a place especially in the Pinnacle as sort of a unstable goon, especially his bits with Wardlow. Shawn Spears News should have got a little bit more time as an angle to develop during the pandemic era.

Also his facial expression in the cage Match with Wardlow when MJF got sparked and he knew we absolutely done for was great. A good hand is never a bad thing. That feud with Scorpio Sky nearly killed them both off mind.

I ended up really liking Spears, and weirdly he ended up being underutilised by the company - something I never expected to say when it looked - when he turned on Cody - like he was going to be pushed as a top heel (but, in the end, it turned out he was the first member of the Codyverse) 

It's a shame to know The Pinnacle will likely never reform, as it's one of the few AEW stables that actually ended up being very memorable. I hope TNA picks him up. 

• Paid Members

Shawn Spears played a significant role in MJF vs. Wardlow, which remains one of the best storylines they’ve done. Great henchman goon to the Final Boss.

I suspect he’s already Whatsapp’d Cody about being the Number 10 entrance in the Royal Rumble.

increasing allocation of sports-based old school wrestling

Either go full UWFi, or lock this behind the RoH paywall please!  We've heard this story before, at the very creation of AEW, but most of the best bits of the last 4 years have been proper sports-entertainment.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Loki said:

We've heard this story before, at the very creation of AEW, but most of the best bits of the last 4 years have been proper sports-entertainment.

The most recent best things have been the Texas Death Match and the continental classic. Neither are Sports Entertainment.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The most recent best things have been the Texas Death Match and the continental classic. Neither are Sports Entertainment.

What is 'sports entertainment', though? I find the term very nebulous. People tend to use it as a disparaging term for the wilder aspects of Vince McMahon's booking; but surely almost everything that happens outside of the ring contains elements of sports entertainment?

La Dinner Debonair was very well received, that's surely sports entertainment. The Kenny Omega/Hangman Page saga could have been plucked right out of a TV drama - it was high level storytelling, but absolutely sports entertainment. The Stadium Stampede matches during the pandemic and Sting's cinematic matches from that time period were great, but also surely could be classed as sports entertainment. Toni Storm has been arguably the most successful women's gimmick in AEW history, and what is that but sports entertainment? The MJF/Adam Cole saga - the good bits - were certainly sports entertainment. Mr Brodie Lee and The Dark Order - great fun, and great sports entertainment. 

Sports entertainment doesn't have to be a bad thing, and I'd go as far as to say it's been a huge part of AEW throughout its history. I'd also say, to me at least, the majority of AEW's best storylines have been...well, sports entertainment. 

The Continental Classic seems to have gone well, but if they focus more on ring work and less on out-of-ring storytelling, I'm not convinced it will work. It really depends on what Tony Khan means by 'sports-like' presentation. 

17 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Great to see Spears get some love. Him and Brian Cage are like two generic Streets of Rage end of level bosses for me. Wrestling needs its big supergoons. 

Brian Cage, yes! Honestly thought around late 2021 he was on his way out and he slowly climbed back, overcame some criticism on his place on the show and has been in the last year really great fun. I know Starks and Big Bill have delivered, but I absolutely loved Big Machine during their lethal lottery tournament. Lovely big 80's shouty promos