• Paid Members

Am I going mad, or did MJF not all but say that he had signed a new contract during his post-show promo at All In?

He's working injured, and that's just the bits we know about. I wouldn't be surprised if he's even more banged up than he's letting on. Hopefully he can take some time off after World's End and that's why it feels like he’s saying his goodbyes. It would be madness if they've spent the last few months having Wardlow talk about getting revenge on MJF if Max is out the door before they even get to the match between them, let alone a blow-off with Adam Cole, and whoever else is involved in the Devil storyline, or the countless other matches and feuds he hasn't had yet.

There's still plenty for MJF to do in AEW, but he would benefit from giving the audience a bit of a breather from him, and coming back refreshed.

He seems like the type who believes that the World Champion needs to carry the company, so if dropping the title means he stops working through injuries, I hope he loses tonight. Though I just had the idea of them doing the DiBiase/Andre story and having Joe hand the belt over to the Devil, and I hope they don't do that.

Either way, assuming we have a heel Champion soon, I think that's going to pan out to be why the Devil randomly targeted Hangman Page one week - he will be the first challenger, while MJF takes time off.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Though I just had the idea of them doing the DiBiase/Andre story and having Joe hand the belt over to the Devil, and I hope they don't do that.

Well that's ruined my day already. Imagine.

Ted DiBiase.. JR. The Devil. Angry at his ordained minister daddy. Goes off the rails. Tricks Tony Khan into trusting him by running a fake welfare charity for dogs.

.. no. Stop it.

This is only serving to get my hopes up for a Joe win tonight, and I don't want to get my hopes up because they always end up dashed with Joe.

As MJF said in the article, it doesn't make any sense but this is the best Samoa Joe we've ever seen.  To think he was pissing about in ROH 6 months ago, madness.  He deserves to be AEW champ, and he unlocks a series of interesting matches and feuds.

• Paid Members

Not on board at all with some of the talk in this thread here. The Scooby Doo slander has taken things way too far. 

Triple Threat matches are stupid and should have been put right back in the box and returned to sender many moons ago. Air Raid mentioned earlier about the one fall Triple Threat being a vehicle of appeasement and that's really all it is good for.

It's understandable booking a story where a multi person match, with elimination's, makes sense. (This month for example, would have been fine and dandy. Joe, Wardlow, Roderick Strong etc chasing MJF. Only way he escapes with the belt is to beat them all, but they all get in each others way). 

However If you don't want someone taking the fall so you then book a multi person match? It's a copout, and a failure of booking to paint yourself into that type of a corner. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

It’s increasingly clear, I think, that his ideas would benefit from a kind of refinement that AEW seemingly does not offer;

That applies to pretty much everyone in AEW though doesn't it. There is no refinement of an idea anywhere in AEW. Tony is great with a broad brush, but not wishing to joke this time, the devil is always in the detail. The little touches that build a story to the next level are usually missing. The Devil thing could have been done well, it's the sheer heavy handedness that has made it shit. The best thing they've done from a storyline point if view recently setting aside match quality is Christian, and his storyline. Even that has suffered from the broad brush though. 

The best story Max has had recently is the Regal one, because it was based on the personal. If he goes to the WWE that's where he should start. Have him go after Regal, have him go after Charlie Dempsey, play into the personal, Regal's time off TV is up, finish the AEW story in WWE, that seems to be a theme currently anyway. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Off the top of my head there's finishing off the Adam Cole story, feuds with Hangman, Swerve and Eddie Kingston which is 12 months of stories at the very minumum. Still plenty for MJF to do.

That’s fair - what I meant was, and I should have been clearer, that there’s little more for him to achieve in AEW. He’s already been to the top of the ladder, he’s main-evented what will likely be their biggest ever PPV and while there are obviously feuds left for him to have, there are very few that would feel like money left on the table at this point; like when Cody and Punk departed.

I think he’d benefit from leaving, and I don’t think AEW would be hurt by his departure; at least in terms of the on screen product. 

If I were to guess though, I’d imagine we’ll get another year or two of MJF in AEW, before he makes the jump to WWE - and you’ll get most of the storylines you’ve outlined. 

17 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Much like the Eddie Kingston article from a while back, this is worth a read. I’m not sure how genuine the contract issue stuff is, but I hope he stays where he is. 

I thought that article was dreadful, but then I'll be honest I think he is dreadful so maybe I'm biased.

It's just really badly written and got annoying very quickly. 

22 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That applies to pretty much everyone in AEW though doesn't it. There is no refinement of an idea anywhere in AEW. Tony is great with a broad brush, but not wishing to joke this time, the devil is always in the detail.

Perhaps, but there seems to be a feeling of fan weariness with MJF that didn’t exist previously. For that reason, I think he’d be wise to jump before that stagnant feeling grows. 

24 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The best story Max has had recently is the Regal one, because it was based on the personal. If he goes to the WWE that's where he should start. Have him go after Regal, have him go after Charlie Dempsey, play into the personal, Regal's time off TV is up, finish the AEW story in WWE, that seems to be a theme currently anyway. 

What do you mean by that? I wouldn’t say WWE has done that with its signings from AEW. If they were to link back to an AEW storyline, I’d imagine they’d put him against Cody or Punk - a top star, as opposed to a non-wrestler who didn’t manage to reach that next level.