Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’d say this was when I saw the Dubs in a different light. Whenever we’d have visitors come over from Ireland my dad would make us stick this on as we recorded it. The whisky and the songs were flowing. It’s a long watch but some great stuff on here, including The Pogues joining them for Irish Rover (with Christy Moore on bodrhun!)

This has brought back a weird childhood memory of this show being on a recorded VHS (back when Channel 4 used to show The Late Late) that my dad later also recorded an episode of WCW Worldwide on for me where the future Raven debuted as Johnny Flamingo (as well as an episode of Get Stuffed and McLeod because there were on before/after at stupid o'clock in the morning). I must have watched that tape a hundred times, including the episode of TLLS as I got older, and less for the wrestling as time went on. 

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

And isn't that amazing for a lad born and raised in Kent, who went to public school, as Shane McGowan was?  He had an even posher upbringing than me, he went to Westminster School!  

I have a couple of Irish friends who are a bit down on The Pogues because of this, but that's rubbish isn't it.  Yes, most of the members were British, but the music is deeply rooted in Irish nationalism.  They're hardly singing about cider and King Arthur.

Not to be a pedant, but I think "second generation Irish" is probably more accurate tbh. I'm not sure how Shane McGowan or indeed any members of the band would appreciate being called British. 

Edited by mim731

Man...so much I could say about Shane. One of the cool dudes, and at once a complete relic in terms of vaunting figures for their absolutely perplexing, insane alcohol consumption. It was an intrinsic part of his myth, though. 

This song just has insane poignancy now:

We're left with Bono and Dana. 

Fuck sake. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

We're left with Bono and Dana. 

Fuck sake. 

The Nans favourite Daniel O’Donnell is still going. More popular than ever (I’m assuming) as I saw a 2024 calendar of him for sale in the shopping centre the other day. 

2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I adore that song. There's a couple of different versions of it around but I reckon that's my favourite. 

It shouldn't be lost while recounting tales of Shane's drunkenness and celebrating Fairytale of New York just how fucking amazing those early Pogues records were. 

I once turned down a free ticket to see them because I had wrestling training that same day and wasn't as into the band at the time. I've regretted it since. 

I'm regretting it a lot more today.