Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

He did well getting to 65 with all that he went through. That is sad news though. I grew up listening to The Pogues as my dad was a huge fan. A Rainy Night in Soho from their Poguetry in Motion EP and Rum Sodomy & the Lash were often on repeat. As well as all The Dubliners and The Pogues performances. And they’re songs I still listen to today (Sally MacLennane was one of my most played songs of this year according to Spotify wrapped). I would’ve loved to have been able to see them live back in the 80s. 

He went through a lot the past few years so glad he’s not in any pain anymore. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's Christmas Number 1 sorted surely.

LadBaby knew this was coming. Arrest them. 

As an Irish kid growing up in England in the 80s, it’s impossible to state exactly how important a band The Pogues were to us. We all hated our parents diddle de di di bollocks they used to put on the tape player on a Sunday and then all of a sudden there was these feckless drunks who were the total antithesis to the Paddy and his pig bullshit. Songs about drinking and gambling, songs about life being shit. We had our band, they sang about our lives. The Specials and The Pogues were two towns at the start of my musical roadmap and now both Terry and Shane are gone. Utterly heartbreaking. 

If I can ask you to do one thing in memory of Shane, next time some berk bangs on about the BBC banning the Pogues song, agree with them about how shit it is that they banned it, then point out how the only song they banned was about the Birmingham Six and thank them for supporting the cause. 

• Paid Members

Saw MacGowan in Dublin, two nights before Christmas in 08, and Sinead O'Connor was the surprise guest they brought on to do Fairytale of New York with him. The first time they'd appeared in public together since she called the police on him for his heroin use. Absolutely amazing moment and genuinely gutting to have lost both of them this year.

MacGowan, at times, sounded like a drunk walking down the street singing to himself - but he sounded like the best drunk in the world at doing that.

• Paid Members

Proper gut punch this one. The Pogues were a huge part of my childhood, and although it was coming (recent pictures of him were a pretty heartbreaking indication that he wasn't long for this world) it's still terrible.

I was lucky enough to see The Pogues live not far off twenty years ago. Even then, a shadow of his former self Shane McGowan was a presence like no other. But, seeing him in his heyday must have been something else. I think you get a bit of that from this. Just a whirlwind of a man. RIP.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As an Irish kid growing up in England in the 80s, it’s impossible to state exactly how important a band The Pogues were to us. We all hated our parents diddle de di di bollocks they used to put on the tape player on a Sunday and then all of a sudden there was these feckless drunks who were the total antithesis to the Paddy and his pig bullshit. Songs about drinking and gambling, songs about life being shit. We had our band, they sang about our lives. The Specials and The Pogues were two towns at the start of my musical roadmap and now both Terry and Shane are gone. Utterly heartbreaking. 

If I can ask you to do one thing in memory of Shane, next time some berk bangs on about the BBC banning the Pogues song, agree with them about how shit it is that they banned it, then point out how the only song they banned was about the Birmingham Six and thank them for supporting the cause. 

That's excellent. Never knew about that particular perspective, but it makes complete sense.

Have to ask, though: what about the Dubliners? I never had them down as "diddle de di di" - they sang about similar themes, plus songs like Building Up And Tearing England Down are ace.

Just now, Carbomb said:

Have to ask, though: what about the Dubliners?

They were one of those bands that you appreciated as you got older. Of course, Luke Kelly died in 84 so the political fire went from the band and they were happy to play the hits at this time. The Dubs seemed content with the way the Irish were portrayed and silly drunks who say begorrah all the time. And were a world away from The Pogues. I guess at the time it was more a “They’re a band my parents like, and they hate our band” kind of youth rebellion mentality if that makes sense?  And of course it’s hard enough losing a member of the band but when that band member was Luke Kelly? How the fuck do you recover from that!! The Dubs were still mourning for the rest of the 80s. 

I’d say this was when I saw the Dubs in a different light. Whenever we’d have visitors come over from Ireland my dad would make us stick this on as we recorded it. The whisky and the songs were flowing. It’s a long watch but some great stuff on here, including The Pogues joining them for Irish Rover (with Christy Moore on bodrhun!)

• Paid Members

Absolutely agree about Luke Kelly - a voice like a thunderclap, no-one like him. Losing him would've taken the fight out of them, for certain (although I would argue Ronnie Drew was no slouch).

Thanks for that clip; I'm gonna enjoy that on lunch break.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You aren't thinking like those LadBaby grifters Keith. What's the betting that as a tribute to Shane they release A Sausage Roll Of New York with 10p going to the Trussell Trust. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They were one of those bands that you appreciated as you got older.

Yeah that’s very true. Another band played constantly in my childhood. While I loved The Irish Rover, I didn’t care for too much of their stuff growing up. Now I’m older, I love them. Luke Kelly was one of my dads heroes and it’s clear to see why. And glad I got an appreciation of him now. As Carbomb said, Ronnie Drew was no slouch. Great in his own right  

Also, Paddy Reillys version of Fields of Athenry has been played at almost every family funeral I’ve been at. 

It’s going to be Pogues and Dubliners listening day now for me. 

26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As an Irish kid growing up in England in the 80s, it’s impossible to state exactly how important a band The Pogues were to us.

And isn't that amazing for a lad born and raised in Kent, who went to public school, as Shane McGowan was?  He had an even posher upbringing than me, he went to Westminster School!  

I have a couple of Irish friends who are a bit down on The Pogues because of this, but that's rubbish isn't it.  Yes, most of the members were British, but the music is deeply rooted in Irish nationalism.  They're hardly singing about cider and King Arthur.