Shops you hate

Gus Mears

I will not stand for Home Bargains slander! They were the original here in Cov, plus those flapjacks both stores have sold for seemingly decades are cheaper there.

There's a bit of difference between the two, B&M often seems have have a more standardized selection where Home Bargains will switch between discontinued things at a stupidly low price.

I had a rare look in GAME yesterday and it's somehow far worse than it's even been, now stuck in the back corner of Sports Direct with nothing more than some toys that I bet noone will ever buy. I didn't even see any consoles the same, pre-owned games are now non-existent too.

Most of the space is that "Beyond" deal where you pay to play on a PC, that was dead.

• Paid Members

Home Bargains is great, I prefer it to B&M. B&M is too similar to Poundland now, they don't have anything I can't find anywhere else.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I hate B&M. I do occasionally leave a Google review because I am a dull man. Below is the review I left for the Lincoln branch 

Not so much a shop as a Cretan labyrinth designed  to trap and kill its customers with a Minotaur at its centre. I say Minotaur, I mean checkout, it does trap and kill you though. The staff on them move at a glacially slow pace I've seen tectonic plates that move quicker.

I hate this shop and everything about it, and I wouldn't visit again if you held a gun to my head. The sweet release of a bullet to the brain would be preferable to stepping another foot into this drab, dull, and uninspiring hell hole.

Enter at your peril.

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Spelling.

• Paid Members

We recently got a new B&M in Blackburn, I think this is its third different location. They have two sets of checkouts as there are two entrances to the store at opposite ends, but there's usually only ever 1 checkout open, sometimes they might open one at each end. It's not too bad. 

Home Bargains in Burnley isn't too bad either. My friend loves their coconut macaroons. They do this nice little jaffa protein bar thing as well. It's not awful. 

Game in Blackburn is also just shunted into a corner of Sports Direct. I would presume they don't have many preowned games as the store is pretty inaccessible and CEX isn't too far away. 

Home Bargains is fantastic for getting really nice beer at great prices. Sadly that often means the brewer has gone tits up but its great for your wallet. 

B&M sell these bad boys for £1.19. So for that alone they are better than the likes of Asda/Morrisons/Iceland.

363272-shin-big-bowl-noodle.jpg

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chili said:

WH Smiths are still drab, bland, Tory coloured portals to hell.

One near to me opened a Toys R Us section. It was tiny and shit, which is not a surprise as its in WH Smiths.

@Jazzy G Game are out of the pre owned business game as of a few months ago. Sold all their stock off cheap, although my local just sent theirs to a bigger store from what I was told.

B&M>Home Bargains is a wild call. B&M sell shit brands for reasonable prices whilst Home Bargains sell shit brands you’ve never heard of for ridiculously low prices. The decent branded stuff they both sell are all cheaper in Home Bargains and what’s more is you can actually find the sections in Home Bargains as it has some semblance of a lay out. Obviously they do that stupid thing in Home Bargains where they just fill space with whatever item they have an abundance of which can lead to crazy scenarios where Twix’s will be stocked in the chocolate bar section and the biscuit section but it’s a small price to pay.

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Game are out of the pre owned business game as of a few months ago. Sold all their stock off cheap, although my local just sent theirs to a bigger store from what I was told.

Ah, I wish I'd known about the stock sell-off, it would have been nice to pick up a few bargains. I'm not even sure where the Game in Glasgow is these days though, if there even is one. 

As crap as Game was, it's a shame that there's no video game retailer presence on the high street these days. I miss the days of Gamestation and Electronics Boutique etc. 

• Paid Members

Not really technically a shop but I hate the duty free at the airport. The sheer overwhelming stench of the various perfumes, aftershaves, make-up etc. always makes me feel like I'm going to throw up and gives me a headache.

50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Not really technically a shop but I hate the duty free at the airport. The sheer overwhelming stench of the various perfumes, aftershaves, make-up etc. always makes me feel like I'm going to throw up and gives me a headache.

I can give or take a duty free, but I absolutely detest the magical mystery tour style pathway you need to traverse through them.

They obviously want to show you as much crap as possible but I'd fully appreciate an IKEA-style cut through. I don't want to look at perfumes, get me straight to the cigars and rum.

Also, don't bless me with cheap spirits and then shaft me for £5 for a pack of plain, poundshop playing cards because I left mine at home.

• Members
10 hours ago, Chili said:

WH Smiths are still drab, bland, Tory coloured portals to hell.

They are, but their magazine selection is better than any other shop out there, and until something else comes along, I'll be buying my poncey film and football magazines from there still.

5 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Home Bargains is fantastic for getting really nice beer at great prices. Sadly that often means the brewer has gone tits up but its great for your wallet. 

B&M sell these bad boys for £1.19. So for that alone they are better than the likes of Asda/Morrisons/Iceland.

363272-shin-big-bowl-noodle.jpg

I love you x