WOS Aldis den?

Infinity Land

Another attempt at World of Sport is in the works apparently. Future free agent Nick Aldis and Mickie James being linked as potential signings.

The notion of a low cost studio based show with live events isn't any different than the last time they trotted out the brand. So it's not exactly a new idea.

https://itrwrestling.com/news/world-of-sport-nick-aldis-and-mickie-james/

Even after it died off screen. The batch of episodes they filmed kept popping up with random international or streaming deals and their social media stayed active for a lot longer than anyone would expect. If 1PW could return this year. I wouldn't rule out WoS in 2023.

Edited by Infinity Land

As long as they sort out the camera work. The cameras were awful in WoS a couple of years ago, chopping and changing angles every second and made it difficult to get into a match. Aldis would be a reasonable main heel, and would probably work better over 10 weeks in a story arc than a long period. 

I also remember the show losing it's spot half way through the run so ITV must just think why bother. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

As long as they sort out the camera work. The cameras were awful in WoS a couple of years ago, chopping and changing angles every second and made it difficult to get into a match.

I can't see that improving; part of that was apparently down to restrictions on how much "violence" ITV were able to show during that timeslot, meaning they had to cut away from the impact of strikes and big moves all the time. I might be misremembering that, and it might have had more to do with using the footage in other settings, but there was definitely something like that.

I just don't really see what the point of a WOS relaunch, from ITV's perspective, is. They have wrestling content now, and all they have to do is pay for it - why put themselves in the position of having to create the whole thing as well? 

It bombed in the ratings on ITV1. Not enough time has passed to forget that. 

Which would hopefully mean ITV4 and not dealing with afternoon restrictions. 

The benefits to ITV would simply be that they own it. Cheap domestic programming. Small international fees. Potential licencing from sold shows. 

No different than Anthem or Sinclair but on a smaller scale. 

They picked up Rampage when most people online thought they'd being binning AEW. There's some benefit to them seemingly. Rampage struggles to get near 100k & I think Dynamite only just passed 200k. That's including +7 days coverage. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I just don't really see what the point of a WOS relaunch, from ITV's perspective, is. They have wrestling content now, and all they have to do is pay for it - why put themselves in the position of having to create the whole thing as well? 

This was my first thought, but is there any guarantee this is definitely for ITV? Do they own the WOS trademarks/the rights? 

Whatever happens, I hope that shitbag Alex Shane isn't involved. 

16 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Wasn't Alex Shane named in Speaking Out in some capacity?

So was Darby Allin, but I think ITV might have stricter protocols than Lil Sniff. 

I wonder what involvement ITV Studios would actually have in any production. They might provide a studio but can’t see them bothering with this. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, mim731 said:

This was my first thought, but is there any guarantee this is definitely for ITV? Do they own the WOS trademarks/the rights? 

ITV Studios own the trademarks for "World of Sport" and "WoS Wrestling". In theory, they could produce content under those names to sell to other channels, but I'm not sure why they would bother.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

ITV Studios own the trademarks for "World of Sport" and "WoS Wrestling". In theory, they could produce content under those names to sell to other channels, but I'm not sure why they would bother.

Ah ok, good to know. I wasn't sure if ITV still had the trademarks, or the previous show was just a content deal. In which case, unless they have a big distribution deal interationally, this seems like a non starter. 

35 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Wasn't Alex Shane named in Speaking Out in some capacity? I assumed he was no longer on the scene? 

He was, but it's Britwres. Morals are optional, apparently. As such I'd expect he's involved somehow.