WOS Aldis den?

Infinity Land

• Paid Members

The dumbest thing about ITVs reimagining of WOS first time round, and I speak from experience, is that when we tried to go, they basically emailed a free "ticket" to anyone that applied. Come show night at Media City, there was a massive queue, and when me +1 were absolutely nowhere near the front, they told the rest of the queue they "had enough" viewers to fill the studio now, and we could all fuck off. Plenty of people there had come from further away than just Salford/Manchester under the mistaken belief that their "ticket" would actually get them in. So by running it like a TV show that needed an audience, as opposed to, you know, a wrestling show that you sell a certain number of tickets for, they turned away a few hundred wrestling fans at the door, and those that WERE inside, contributed a grand total of £0 towards the running costs.

• Paid Members
Just now, air_raid said:

The dumbest thing about ITVs reimagining of WOS first time round, and I speak from experience, is that when we tried to go, they basically emailed a free "ticket" to anyone that applied. Come show night at Media City, there was a massive queue, and when me +1 were absolutely nowhere near the front, they told the rest of the queue they "had enough" viewers to fill the studio now, and we could all fuck off. Plenty of people there had come from further away than just Salford/Manchester under the mistaken belief that their "ticket" would actually get them in. So by running it like a TV show that needed an audience, as opposed to, you know, a wrestling show that you sell a certain number of tickets for, they turned away a few hundred wrestling fans at the door, and those that WERE inside, contributed a grand total of £0 towards the running costs.

Yep. I’ve been to audience ticketed shows before. Applause Store were notorious for dramatically over booking shows. They don’t give a fuck because they get paid to fill a recording for a production. So as long as it’s filled they don’t care what happens to the overspill. At the same time, free tickets also mean there is no commitment. I.e if you decided on the day you couldn’t be arsed to go, you’ve lost £0. But they then may have something half filled which isn’t a good look.

I think there are rules around charging for an audience for a tv show, as this was how they were selling it, that’s why they couldn’t sell tickets (and I believe why the tour was done differently. I don’t think they were even going to film it).

Its the same as what TNA did at Universal and WCW did at MGM. And AEW do now for Dark. 

According to Meltzer, a group of investors have apparently purchased the WOS/World of Sport name and there’s no realistic expectation that ITV are going to broadcast what is planned to be a(nother) studio wrestling show.

Edited by uklaw

5 hours ago, uklaw said:

According to Meltzer, a group of investors have apparently purchased the WOS/World of Sport name and there’s no realistic expectation that ITV are going to broadcast what is planned to be a(nother) studio wrestling show.

Martin and Harvey Goldsmith. History with promoting the WWE tours in the WWF days, TNA and were involved with the last WOS tour. I'd be expecting more of the same then from the last revival attempt then.

Edited by Infinity Land