Recommend an underappreciated videogame

RedRooster

I've picked up loads of great games thanks to recommendations on this forum, so I wanted to create a thread to (hopefully) uncover a few overlooked gems. 

Plus it gives me the opportunity to gush about a few of my favourite games that don't get the attention they deserve, starting with...

Omori

More o' Omori?- The New Indian Express

Available on: PC, Mac, PS4/5, Xbox One/Series S/X, Nintendo Switch (NB. This is currently available on Game Pass)

This is my favourite ever videogame. Seriously - I rate it that highly. The general design and gameplay is clearly inspired by Earthbound - modernising and improving on the formula somewhat - but don't be fooled by the visuals. This is not a light-and-fluffy game, although it may seem that way at first. Omori is genuinely disturbing and affecting, and I honestly don't think I've played a game that has made me feel real, powerful emotions in the way Omori did. It tackles difficult subjects such as depression, so take that as a trigger warning - but if you are in the right headspace, it's a must-play; particularly given that it's free on Game Pass. The storyline is incredibly strong, and the game is actually fun - which makes the darker elements of it all the more powerful. I don't understand why this game doesn't get more attention than it does - but if you take one thing from this thread, it's that you should play this game - if you are in the right headspace to deal with the subject matter. 

Vampire Survivors

Vampire Survivors by poncle

Available on: PC/Mac

This might be the most addictive game I've ever played. I bought a Steam Deck, expecting to use it to play Triple A titles - but nope, this has sucked up my time. Essentially, it's a reverse bullet hell shooter, where you are the bullet hell. A ridiculous number of enemies make their way towards you, you kill them, grab crystals, and gradually level up; becoming more powerful. The aim is to survive for as long as you possibly can. It's a bargain price too - only £3.99 on Steam - and is well worth taking a punt on. You won't be able to put it down. 

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit

Sonic Triple Trouble 16 Bit is out now! Full release : r/SonicTheHedgehog

Available on: PC/Mac

A fan remake of the Game Gear game Sonic Triple Trouble, reimagined as if it was a 16-bit title. The quality here is outstanding, and I'm not even going to qualify it with "given that it's a fan game" - this could easily be a first party game. If, like me, you've been wishing for Sonic Mania 2, this will scratch that itch. The Sonic Mania team involved developers known for their work in the fan game community, and this more than lives up to that legacy. Being a fan game, it's free, and it works brilliantly on Steam Deck, if you own one. 

Wiz 'n' Liz

Wiz 'n' Liz - Wabbits of Fun on the Mega Drive & Amiga - Retro Review

Available on: Amiga/Mega Drive

We're going retro now - and very affordable retro at that, if you felt like picking this up on eBay. Wiz 'n' Liz is a fast-and-fun platform game that contains no enemies - you race through the level against the clock, collecting "wabbits", which then turn into floating letters, which you collect to spell out words. It's great fun multiplayer too, particularly if you have kids; but really, it's fun even if you don't. It's a great reason to break out one of your older systems. I personally prefer the Amiga version of this game to the Mega Drive alternative, but both versions are excellent - it's very marginal. 

Tinykin

Review - Tinykin - WayTooManyGames

Available on: PC, Xbox One/Series S/X, Nintendo Switch, PS4/5 (NB. This is currently available on Game Pass)

This is the best platformer I've played in years. It may look like another Pikimin clone, but it's far from it. Like Wiz 'n' Liz, it's completely free from enemies, so it's quite a relaxing game to play. You're an undersized character in a house, taking command of the Tinykin, who help you access new areas and solve puzzles/tasks. It's incredibly fun to navigate round this house, using your powers and surfing on a bar of soap as you discover new areas and meet new characters (typically the insect residents of this home). The game has a surprisingly strong storyline, and in addition the art style is stunning - it's like taking control of a Saturday morning cartoon. As a result, everything in this game world feels so full of life. If you have Game Pass, it's well worth downloading. 

• Paid Members

Great thread! I’ll have a think and post some later.

Really wanted to like Omori but could not get into it at all. Found the dialogue to be similar to Life is Strange was in that it comes across as someone trying to write young people who have never heard young people speak. Never hooked me but there’s some solid ideas there.

Heard nothing but good thinks about Tinykin so will get round to that eventually!

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Top Ranking Tennis- Game Boy

What a joy this game is. No frills, just a game where you climb the rankings- but it plays so well for a Game Boy sports title. A great way to kill some time. 

trt_thumb-300x271.jpg.ec1ef7610cf612e9a559659abeacb1d1.jpg

Picross

Probably my favourite puzzle game of all time! I played the original version to death on the Nintendo DS and a few months ago picked up Picross Touch for the Switch. Adding Mega Picross and Colour Picross modes over the years for the newer titles gave you more to sink your teeth into as well. Whenever I decide to sit down and throw some hours into a Zelda or a Pokemon game, I just end up playing Picross...

900x.jpg.d8ac903a53777f22f1a3d5e798e9cb42.jpg

• Paid Members

Not an underrated game in itself, but an underrated port - The PlayStation version of Doom is infinitely more frightening than it’s PC counterpart. I like the 8-bit rock soundtrack of the original PC version, but the PS version has really creepy, atmospheric sound. When monsters catch sight of you, the echo of their screams are haunting. Also, it’s ten times more scary bumping into one of them in the dark out of nowhere, with no music and no other sounds. Especially if you’re playing it after hours in the dark. Christ almighty. 

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think it was yourself who recommended this before and you’re right, it’s an absolute joy! Thanks again, will look at your other recommendations. 

It was me, yes! If you want something similar, try A Short Hike; which is also A nice mix of exploration and adventure, without enemies or the risk of death. It has a nice story to it, and some really enjoyable side-quests/missions. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Picross

YES! I love the Picross games. Have you ever tried Murder by Numbers? If not, I’d highly recommend giving it a try. It’s basically Phoenix Wright, crossed with Picross. It’s a combination that works incredibly well, and very addictive to boot.

Goof Troop (SNES)

SNES_Goof_Troop_%28G%C5%ABfii_to_Makkusu_-_Kaizokujima_no_Daib%C5%8Dken%29.png

Zeldaesque action game with puzzle elements that's suitable for all ages. This game can be completed in 2-3 hours and it's not too tough, but it's worth beating in both single player mode and co-op mode to get the complete Goof Troop experience. 

Neo Turf Masters (NEO-GEO, PS2, PSP, Wii, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)

Neo Turfmasters Review

You don't even need to like golf to appreciate this masterpiece. I don't and I've put tens of hours into this game over the years. The gameplay is incredibly easy to pick up, but hard to master. 

Toki (NES)

Toki - NES - Alvanista

I've always loved this game. It's a no-frills platformer that can be beaten in 20-25 minutes if you know what you are doing, but this is well worth a play if you've already played all the other big guns of the 8-bit generation and you fancy something new. It was remade recently for the current generation. The remake didn't add anything new apart from upgrade the visuals, so either version is worth playing.

Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 (PSP)

Metal Gear Acid Review - GameSpot

When I was a kid, I was disgusted to learn that the Metal Gear game for PSP was a turn-based card game, but I finally went back and gave this go last year and I became obsessed with this spin-off series. Metal Gear Acid 2 is the more polished game, but I prefer the realistic visuals of the first game. Both games are well worth playing if you are a MGS fan.

Edited by pitseleh