Recommend an underappreciated videogame

RedRooster

53 minutes ago, pitseleh said:

When I was a kid, I was disgusted to learn that the Metal Gear game for PSP was a turn-based card game, but I finally went back and gave this go last year and I became obsessed with this spin-off series. Metal Gear Acid 2 is the more polished game, but I prefer the realistic visuals of the first game. Both games and well worth playing if you are MGS fan.

I felt exactly the same at the time, I just didn't get it. I don't really remember how it all worked, but I feel like I'd be more open-minded about a game like that these days. It's annoying, and slightly baffling, that it's only available on PSP. Hopefully it'll show up on the PS Plus game collection one of these days. 

Edited by RedRooster

11-11 Memories Retold (PS4/Xbox/PC)

Featuring voice acting by Elijah Wood. Plays like The Walking Dead.

The game allows the player to play as two characters during World War I: Canadian photographer Harry Lambert (Elijah Wood) and German engineer Kurt Waldner (Sebastian Koch). Both engage in the war for different reasons. Harry is attracted by the glory and the desire to seduce his childhood friend, so he decides to follow a major in search of a new war photographer. Kurt working as an engineer, learns on the radio that his son's unit is missing, and decides to join the German military to find him.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, pitseleh said:

Toki (NES)

Toki - NES - Alvanista

I've always loved this game. It's a no-frills platformer that can be beaten in 20-25 minutes if you know what you are doing, but this is well worth a play if you've already played all the other big guns of the 8-bit generation and you fancy something new. It was remade recently for the current generation. The remake didn't add anything new apart from upgrade the visuals, so either version is worth playing.

I've played the arcade version of this quite a lot on MAME relatively recently, it's a good game. The C64 conversion was really good, too, back in the day.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've played the arcade version of this quite a lot on MAME relatively recently, it's a good game. The C64 conversion was really good, too, back in the day.

The Switch remaster of it is really well done, and the Amiga version soundtrack is one of my favourites on the platform. I used to borrow the Mega Drive version as a kid and enjoyed it back then even if it is rock solid.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo DS)

nintendo-ds-hotel-dusk.gif.016693312bf00c59df8f3819e633ca08.gif

It's a visual mystery novel with rotoscope graphics where you hold the DS like a book. Taking place in 1979 you play as Kyle Hyde, a former Police Detective turned disgraced Salesman who is staying in a mysterious motel while looking for your former partner. The characters are all really well fleshed out and between the dialogue there is light exploration and some tricky puzzles. It's very unique, very charming and left a lasting impression (at least with me). It got a good but not as good sequel called Last Window: The Secret of Cape West which takes part a year later, then the developers went bankrupt which is a crying shame.
If you enjoy Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, etc then this one will be right up your street.

Edited by FelatioLips

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories

The one great Swery65 game (D4 doesn't count as it was never finished thanks to Microsoft) that isn't the first Deadly Premonition, at first glance it looks like a fun if very brutal and gory little side-scrolling puzzler but ends up being a heartfelt tale of gender identity, he hired trans advisors to help and oversee things so that definitely helped. If only he did with with the dreadful Deadly Premoniton 2.. but that's a rant for another thread.

• Paid Members

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Probably my favourite game of all time and I've sunk hundreds of hours into it. It has a loyal dedicated fanbase but definitely seems to fly somewhat under the radar of the mainstream. The attention to detail, the focus on history, the forests which are the most realistic forests I've ever seen in a game, the story, the characters, the soundtrack - the whole thing is simply very much my jam. Playing dice at the tavern as the sun sets, the monastery quest, the clip-clop of your horse's hooves as you  travel through the forest, it all takes you away to another time. KCD also has the single best and most memorable quests I've ever taken on in an RPG. 

In short, I adore this game and believe everyone should play it. Handily, the full game with all DLCs is often on sale for less than a tenner!

Side Pocket SNES (also released on MD, MS, NES and DOS) 

spacer.png

Simple pool game from Data East, originally on Arcade and NES in the mod eighties it came to 16 bit in 93 I think. It is just very addictive. Has appeared on a few compilations. 

Snafu- Intellivision 

spacer.png

I only played this last year but found it quite an addictive battle puzzler. Great if you can find 3 mates you don't mind the basics, you can find this on compilations. 

Cosmic Spacehead Mega Drive (also released onMS, GG, DOS) spacer.png

A weird point and click, a remake of Linus Spacehead's cosmic adventure on NES, which is fun due to the story and graphic style rather than the gameplay. It has some fun mini games. I'd say the main game is almost impossible without a guide. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

Manic Miner for the Spectrum 48k.

Wouldn't say it's underappreciated to be honest, it's a classic of its generation. The follow-up however, Jet Set Willy, is underappreciated. By far my favourite game for Commodore.

8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Cosmic Spacehead

I'd say the main game is almost impossible without a guide. 

Which I didn't have in the mid-'90s when it shared a cartridge with Fantastic Dizzy, so I got stuck very early on.

Speaking of Mega Drive multicarts though, Psycho Pinball is a blast. It came bundled with the obviously class Micro Machines, and had you flipping an armadillo around three wonderfully theme-heavy tables linked to a hub table, with different genred mini-games accessed throughout.

32 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Which I didn't have in the mid-'90s when it shared a cartridge with Fantastic Dizzy, so I got stuck very early on.

Speaking of Mega Drive multicarts though, Psycho Pinball is a blast. It came bundled with the obviously class Micro Machines, and had you flipping an armadillo around three wonderfully theme-heavy tables linked to a hub table, with different genred mini-games accessed throughout.

Yeah I can imagine 30 years ago Cosmic Spacehrad being frustrating, Dizzy is hard enough but playable so a good little cart bundle that. 

Psycho pinball is brilliant. The looks are great and feel it plays quite well. 

You really can't beat a Codemasters multi-cart. 

23 hours ago, Chili said:

Hogs of War. 

I played the shit out of the demo for this, but I never actually owned the full game. My parents wouldn't buy it for me because of Rik Mayall's involvement. They were happy to buy me games like Dino Crisis and Mortal Kombat, but for some reason this is where they drew the line. 

I might see if I can pick this up on eBay, I'd love to play the full game at last.