Recommend an underappreciated videogame

RedRooster

48 minutes ago, gmoney said:

What did you parents have against Rik Mayall for god's sake? 

The associated him with swearing! People getting torn to bits in Dino Crisis? That was fine. FPS games? They had no problem with that. But the prospect of a younger me hearing a curse word? Clearly, that's where the line should be. Who knows what that would have done to my fucking vocabulary going forward?

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I played the shit out of the demo for this, but I never actually owned the full game. My parents wouldn't buy it for me because of Rik Mayall's involvement. They were happy to buy me games like Dino Crisis and Mortal Kombat, but for some reason this is where they drew the line. 

I might see if I can pick this up on eBay, I'd love to play the full game at last. 

It's a fun lark. I only got it a few years ago when I started getting 2nd hand older consoles. It's a game where you blow up pigs in war costumes with Rik Mayall doing the voices. A perfect game pitch. 

• Paid Members

Echoing the love for Toki and the Metal Gear Acid series. 

Also, going into MAME32 country, I always loved the arcade version of Moonwalker - whilst the console versions were perfectly fine, they never quite matched up to the isometric shoot 'em up that was the arcade one. Was quite difficult to beat, too.

Am a big fan of Mega-Lo-Mania, which I originally played on the Amiga, but the MegaDrive version was good too. There's a developer who's done a clone for mobile called Giga-Lo-Mania, and, apart from a few name changes, it's exactly the same, right down to the graphics for the gods you play as.

One that might not be so easy to get hold of, but I always loved it (despite it getting middling reviews), was Devilish on the GameGear. It was essentially a cross between Arkanoid and a scrolling shoot 'em up - you played as two people cursed to be "paddles" (I know), journeying through Hell fighting demons, having to bat this supremely powerful mystic blue orb which destroyed all enemies in front of you, and stopping it from falling behind you (which, depending on the level you were playing, could be any direction, and could change as you made your way through the maze of Hell). You could change your paddles' configuration depending on the direction you were going in, and also depending on if you wanted to play more offensively or defensively.

Bit of gameplay (including an amusing little Thriller-based in-joke):

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Some modern reviews are a bit hard on hogs of war, not for language but for some dated racial stereotypes due to some of the voice acting and things like calling the Japanese team "yellow swine" and the like, so perhaps momma Rooster was just very progressive.

23 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Wouldn't say it's underappreciated to be honest, it's a classic of its generation. The follow-up however, Jet Set Willy, is underappreciated. By far my favourite game for Commodore.

Yeah that’s a fair point actually. Best part of that was the freedom to move back and forth between rooms - although some of them were beyond frustrating.

2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Rockstar Ate My Hamster" by Codemasters. You'd be sued into oblivion for it now but, by God, what a fun game.

Any of those Speccy quiz show spinoffs too.

Had that on the ST, it's pure brilliance. Codemasters never get the true appreciation they deserve. I mean yeah there was some shit but great stuff such as Robin Hood, Dizzy, Meglo Mania etc. 

3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Rockstar Ate My Hamster" by Codemasters. You'd be sued into oblivion for it now but, by God, what a fun game.

I've been playing this on Amiga recently, and it's so much fun. I'm kind of surprised (as far as I can tell) that no one has tried to make a spiritual successor of sorts for smartphones, it's perfectly suited for a quick blast while you're on the train, on the way to work. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Mega-lo-Mania is one of my all time favourite games, is such good fun. Some of the sound bites made it into mine and my best friends shared vocabulary when we were kids that have stuck to this day.

If we’re even in a situation where stocks of a given thing are depleting, one of us will still say “We’re running out of elephants”, which is what the god with the slight speech impediment would say when elements were running out.

Thanks for the mobile heads up, I hadn’t heard of that so will give it a look.

I still sort of have that habit - when I finish something I'll say "The design's ready" in that odd rhotacised voice or "The design is complete" in that exaggerated posh scientist voice. And, of course, when something ends badly "IT'S ALL OVER!"

• Paid Members

Talking of Dizzy, there was a game it always reminded me of that was similar in feel and play - The New Zealand Story, a platformer where the main character was a kiwi who had to rescue his friends from a big blue seal who'd nicked them (somehow, without hands). I only ever played the Amiga version, but apparently it was on NES originally.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD9_bWfFgohEciYIfpjg5

The New Zealand Story was on pretty much every console and computer ever made at one point, it was such a hit despite not being that amazing.

One truly great platformer that only ever got released in PAL territories was the first Asterix on the Master System, probably due to the comics not being popular elsewhere stopped a worldwide release but the game was up there with the Mickey Mouse platformers on the same console.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The New Zealand Story was on pretty much every console and computer ever made at one point, it was such a hit despite not being that amazing.

One truly great platformer that only ever got released in PAL territories was the first Asterix on the Master System, probably due to the comics not being popular elsewhere stopped a worldwide release but the game was up there with the Mickey Mouse platformers on the same console.

spacer.png

The Asterix side scrolling arcade game had some of the best character graphics and animation of its time. I think it was a Konami game so probably didn't get the recognition of a Capcom game with the bigger licences. 

asterixeaa.png