The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

3 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

Are the large chains who are (or have) shut paying their staff making them take leave?

We (Primark) don’t know yet, we only got told we were definitely closed funeral day today despite a company spokesman letting the media know all our stores were going to be closed on that day yesterday

6 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

I hope they get rid of the fucking things to be honest. Each machine is a job lost. Never used one when there is a manned till and never will. 

I'm with you, but the time to really make this sentiment heard is when there isn't a manned till. More than once I've put stuff back on the shelves and gone to another shop where I'm not supporting an all self-service future.

I don't do the same with ATMs, perhaps because they don't make me feel like I'm doing someone's job for them. So it might be as much about the transferral of labour to the customer as it is about workers' rights.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:39 PM, Fog Dude said:

I seem to recall Diana's funeral fell during an international break, so no top-flight proper football was affected. She truly was the People's Princess.

The Liverpool Newcastle game that was due on the Sunday was actually cancelled because of her death.

13 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Is there any reputable sources reporting that? It's a huge mistake by Charles if its true

Joe are pretty good. Their political coverage is more to the left than most leading outlets. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't do the same with ATMs, perhaps because they don't make me feel like I'm doing someone's job for them. So it might be as much about the transferral of labour to the customer as it is about workers' rights.

It’s convenience. The chance of something fucking up down to your own error isn’t there like it is at a checkout. I was being a bit glib by mentioning them in the same way as bank counters offer more services than withdrawals and deposits but branch closures are all about the transferring of Labour from employee to customer.