Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members

My mum met him when the League Managers Association was part of her union (MSF, now Unite). Said he was an absolute gent, and, unsurprisingly, a solid union man. Apparently George Graham and Kenny Dalglish were really nice too. Only one she hated was Allardyce, who was a rude cunt to the entire legal team.

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Said he was an absolute gent, and, unsurprisingly, a solid union man. 

Wasn’t he the youngest shop steward the Govan shipbuilding yard ever had? Once at a press conference, a journalist said something along the lines of “With your record for winning and ruling your domain with an iron fist, you could say you’re the Margaret Thatcher of football”. Fergie went redder than usual, and cut him off with a fierce “Don’t EVER compare me with that woman” and stared him down. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn’t he the youngest shop steward the Govan shipbuilding yard ever had? Once at a press conference, a journalist said something along the lines of “With your record for winning and ruling your domain with an iron fist, you could say you’re the Margaret Thatcher of football”. Fergie went redder than usual, and cut him off with a fierce “Don’t EVER compare me with that woman” and stared him down. 

Yep, my dad loves that story. Didn't know the thing about him being the youngest shop steward in Govan though, that's superb.

• Paid Members

Ferguson was/is fucking amazing. I hated him as a kid because he was ridiculously successful and they always lamped us at Three Point Lane ("Lads, it's Tottenham") but he's a great man, with a superb sense of humour.

One story I love is that he went to watch a Liverpool pre-season friendly or early season Euro qualifier or whatever, and he had a note passed to Benitez at half time that read "By far your worst player in the first half was Steven Gerrard. I strongly suggest you sell him to Manchester United."

It was Fergie who hated those two journalist brothers wansn’t it? I’m sure one of them asked a daft question after a game and Fergie kicked him out of the conference and told him to take his daft brother with him. 

• Paid Members

I remember getting into an argument with hitmannumbers (I know, you can probably stop reading there), who just wouldn't accept that Ferguson is the most successful British manager ever. Never mind that SAF had won more silverware, had rebuilt Man Utd from their Spurs-esque perennial top-flight middler status, and (what people tend to forget) had previously broken the stranglehold of the Old Firm on Scottish football and won silverware with Aberdeen. Numbers wasn't having it , on the simple metric that he hadn't matched Bob Paisley's record of winning 9 trophies in the space of six years.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

had previously broken the stranglehold of the Old Firm on Scottish football and won silverware with Aberdeen.

I think I have every book on Fergie ever written (Football, Bloody Hell probably my favourite but is obviously slightly dated being written before he retired) but I can strongly recommend Fergie Rises, which documents his time at Aberdeen. Still the last team to beat Real Madrid in a European final!