UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

Week 4 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 1-1 Everton
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Nottingham Forest 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

National League (Monday)
Scunthorpe United 1-0 Halifax Town 
York City 2-2 Oldham Athletic

Serie A
Juventus 1-0 Roma (17:30)
Fiorentina 1-2 Napoli (Sunday 19:45)

Austrian Bundesliga (Sunday 16:00)
Austria Klagenfurt 0-1 Austria Vienna
Rapid Vienna 1-1 Sturm Graz 

Week 4 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 2-1 Everton
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Nottingham Forest 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

National League (Monday)
Scunthorpe United 2-0 Halifax Town 
York City 2-3 Oldham Athletic

Serie A
Juventus 2-1 Roma (17:30)
Fiorentina 2-2 Napoli (Sunday 19:45)

Austria Klagenfurt 1-1 Austria Vienna
Rapid Vienna 2-1 Sturm Graz 

Premier League

Brentford 0-1 Everton
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Nottingham Forest 0-0 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

National League (Monday)
Scunthorpe United 2-0 Halifax Town 
York City 1-2 Oldham Athletic

Serie A
Juventus 1-0 Roma (17:30)
Fiorentina 1-0 Napoli (Sunday 19:45)

Austria Klagenfurt 0-1 Austria Vienna
Rapid Vienna 1-1 Sturm Graz 

Premier League

Brentford  2 v 1 Everton
Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v 1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 v 2 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Nottingham Forest 0 v 2 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

National League (Monday)
Scunthorpe United 1 v 1 Halifax Town 
York City 1 v 1 Oldham Athletic

Serie A
Juventus 1 v 1 Roma (17:30)
Fiorentina 0 v 1 Napoli (Sunday 19:45)

Austria Klagenfurt 0  v 1 Austria Vienna
Rapid Vienna 1 v 1 Sturm Graz 

• Paid Members

Premier League

Brentford  2 v 1 Everton
Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v 0 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 2 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Nottingham Forest 0 v 0 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

National League (Monday)
Scunthorpe United 1 v 1 Halifax Town 
York City 1 v 2 Oldham Athletic

Serie A
Juventus 1 v 0 Roma (17:30)
Fiorentina 0 v 2 Napoli (Sunday 19:45)

Austria Klagenfurt 1  v 3 Austria Vienna
Rapid Vienna 1 v 1 Sturm Graz 

• Paid Members

Liverpool winning 9-0. No Salah goal or assist.

Fuck. Off. 

EDIT: Just watched the highlights and he’s missed two absolute sitters from close range including a tap in from two yards. An absolute anomaly. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Fuck. Off. 

EDIT: Just watched the highlights and he’s missed two absolute sitters from close range including a tap in from two yards. An absolute anomaly. 

I checked the score at 4-0, 7-0, 9-0. Fucking flabbergasted I was that he didn't get any points on the board. Of course I captained him, and not Haaland. Or even Trent. I'll change the captain for next week and Salah will score a brace!

My best success I've had with captains has really been sticking with one player and leaving it almost always on them. Juggling them rarely works out for me. It's deciding who to go with and stay with for the bulk of the season out of Salah, Haaland and Jesus. 

11 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I had to remove a Liverpool player this week to make way for Rodrigo, who was sure to score.

Don't worry, I didn't get rid of Salah. I disposed of the far more dispensable Luis Diaz instead.

:( 

• Paid Members
On 8/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, air_raid said:

Arsenal at home to Fulham or City at home to Palace??

My choice was to captain Jesus or Haaland. Fubarred that one. Coupled with ;

19 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Fuck. Off.

Just need Son to pull a blank and my weekend is complete.

• Paid Members

That’s three weeks out of four now where I’ve blown the captaincy. Kane in GW1, Haaland in GW2 (triple!) and Mo again this week. Some massive wins during each of those weeks for their respective clubs and they’ve done the square root of fuck all to contribute. I’m convinced there are gremlins in the system. 

The Predictions League results have just gone into the first post now that we have this afternoon's National League scores. I'll figure out the table and what the random 'wildcard' fixture was by tomorrow night.

===

I've been a bit waylaid by a family gathering over the long weekend, so I didn't get a chance to post about the Fantasy League on here before the latest round of matches. Basically, I had two free transfers saved up so I got rid of both my West Ham players and brought in Ivan Toney and Pascal Groß instead. Even though the Hammers won and kept a clean sheet yesterday and although Toney only earned me that basic 2 points, I didn't have their goalscorer Fornals already so I think that worked out quite well.

I correctly benched Marc Guéhi who scored minus points for the second time this season, and Pontus Jansson, who didn't play at all due to an apparent mild injury, but I should've played John McGinn over either his teammate Matty Cash or the still-underperforming João Cancelo as Man City's defensive woes continued. I picked Alisson over Hugo Lloris, but they both scored 6 so that made no difference either way. Perhaps Lloris was luckier to do so, mind, judging by the highlights from The City Ground.

Speaking of which, it was just 2 points for Jesse Lingard and 3 for Son Heung-Min this week, but a goal and an assist meant Harry Kane bagged 10 points despite that missed penalty. Elsewhere, only one point for popular pick Gabriel Jesus this time, and only a brace for James Ward-Prowse too. Conor Coady's 8 go some way to making up for that, though, and the aforementioned Groß on 11 points thanks to bonuses – but I had the foresight to make him captain, so that doubles up to a whopping 22! 

That leaves me on 58 points, slightly below average and just inside the top 6 million players for the week and top 7.5m overall. I'm actually up slightly in 5 leagues including both the UKFF ones, but I'm staying still in a few others, possibly because I can't go any lower. I don't really want to check at this early stage. Can you really blame me? 

For the coming midweek round, I've not done any transfer activity, but I've made the courageous decision to bench Coady due to a tough-looking fixture at Elland Road, and have equally bravely captained Ward-Prowse. If Jansson remains injured, then I'll get Coady's points anyway. I'm sticking with Alisson in goal and am keeping faith with Cancelo, Lingard and Toney for now. I'm perhaps unwisely leaving Jesus as vice-captain as well.

• Paid Members

Thoughts, feeling and emotions from a GW4 we'll remember for a long time and also plans for GW5 - 

1553473305_Screenshot2022-08-29at18_57_01.thumb.png.ad662df528f7908540581400fc018604.png

Ramsdale
A very good goalkeeper indeed...too good - not being tested a huge amount which isn't leading to additional bonus points for extra saves. Very unlucky not to keep a clean sheet due to Gabriel's howler though. Holding for now - but considering swapping for Sanchez and adding Saliba for the triple-Arsenal effect. 

Trent AA
Back in business - hopefully normal service has resumed now. Had been performing ok in the first three weeks without yielding the returns. Newcastle will be a sterner test but absolutely one to hold. 

James
Did the business again with an assist and almost scored too. Another FPL lock. 

Cancelo
Subbed off after an indifferent display - should survive most of the spins on the Pep Roulette wheel though. Keeping for the Forest game. 

Trippier
Still one of Newcastle's main attacking threats from crosses and set-pieces - looked to be struggling with a knock towards the end against Wolves and also had minutes in the Carabao Cup earlier in the week - benching him for the Liverpool trip and going with a back three. 

Martinelli
Very unlucky not to get the assist for the second goal and put in another good display - constant attacking threat for them across all four gameweeks so far. Odergaard is playing in a much more advanced role this season and might be worth switching to long term. Hold for now. 

Salah
One of the most incredible FPL anomalies ever - blanking in a 9-0 Liverpool win. Still worth keeping and potentially captaining - he missed two absolute sitters and was close to being registered for additional assists - it was just one of those afternoons. A knee-jerk sale might backfire. Hold. 

Mount
Nowhere near as influential as last season and another average display this week. Transferred out. 

Almiron
Wanted to stick with him and I still think he has potential as a differential, but will be benched for the Liverpool game. Couple of decent chances against Wolves not taken. 

Haaland
What a perplexing game this was for Man City - 2-0 down against Palace and extremely lucky not to go 3-0 down. If that goal had stood, it would have been much harder for City to come back and Haaland may not have played such a prominent role. A shame the Norwegian prick couldn't have done this two weeks ago when I triple captained him. Impossible to ignore - Hold but a sustainable bench is now a must-have with the rotations on the horizon. 

Jesus
Another good display, but that's now three GW out of four without any returns! However I fully expect that to be put right against an out of form Aston Villa - current plan is to captain him. 

Bench
Ward is useless and will come out when I wildcard. Andreas is worth holding on to but ineffective against Arsenal. Williams not great against Spurs but still a potent threat. Archer will be transferred out.

Overall
58 points is an improvement on last week but if I want to keep climbing the mini-leagues I need to get the captaincy spot on - it's cost me dearly thus far. 

aleksandar-mitrovic-fc-fulham-2021-22-1644512284-80043.thumb.webp.aabf209be08e18cc73f090bc0f5dcd5e.webp

On to GW5 and having rolled my transfer last week, I've brought in Mitrovic for Archer and Rodrigo for Mount. Mitrovic has been an absolute beast so far and his goals against Arsenal and Liverpool have shown he can cut it at this level against the big boys. His arrival also sees a change in formation to a 3-4-3 - I'll be starting with him, Jesus and Haaland. Haaland will hopefully still get some minutes against Forest even if it's just a cameo from the bench. 

Rodrigo didn't have his best game against Brighton, but Leeds have some good fixtures coming up and their attack has heavily revolved around him - I see that continuing, and the value he provides coupled with the money saved on Chelsea flop-Mount was too good to ignore. 

Overall, quietly confident of a good GW5 and the squad is nicely taking shape - will probably hold the wildcard until the international break unless my starting XI really shits the bed and I'm too low-ranked across the leagues. 

My interim score for the midweek Fantasy League matchday is 7 points, with a further 2 to come from the bench. I didn't make a good captaincy pick this time. I'll round things up in full when I make my picks on Thursday night, which will kill two birds with one stone quite tidily. 

===

For the moment though, it's onto various bits of Predictions League housekeeping. The poll in the sign-up thread closes in a few hours, and there are now 6 votes in favour of scores during the World Cup rounds counting in full towards the standings, so that's an unassailable majority among the 10 participants. Speaking of the table, it's just been updated. In a low-scoring Bank Holiday round, seph drops from second spot to fifth, but fellow Robin Rory was there to spare his blushes by being this week's worst performer and sinking to dead last, behind even Vegeta who of course unwittingly skipped a week. 

Stinky and Tilde are now snapping at the heels of the top half following a decent round, whilst ultimo and defending champion MVP RULZ maintained above-average form. It has to be said though, the Austrian scorelines were my saviour. We don't visit there as often as the big 4 mainland European leagues, but it's always interesting when we do. The last match I attended abroad was the Vienna derby and the atmosphere there was spine-tingling. Don't worry, this isn't about to become the Ö-FPL, but if it encourages more people to check out an underrated 'other' Bundesliga, then at least it's been an education for you all.

In a further sign of how the Predictions League must clearly be a fix like it was when I won two seasons ago, the randomiser spat out #10 which I can't recall it doing at all last campaign. That was the Rapid-Graz encounter, where I was the only player to get the right result. And I got the exact score too, so that's two bonus points all to myself. Almost the same goes for the six-goal thriller at the Wörtherseestadion, although a couple of people did correctly think that'd be a draw.

Over in Italy, the stalemate in Florence was only good for the odd one-pointer, whilst Roma getting a draw at Juve caught most pickers out. Closer to home, Scunny's home reverse to Halifax produced a dud outcome, with Oldham's failure to win at York (two divisions below them 4 months earlier) also proving tough to foresee for a majority of players. Wins for Brighton and Spurs and a further score draw at Molineux turned out a tad more fruitful for a lot of participants, but the match at Griffin ParkThe Community Stadium ended up with more of a mixed bag of guesses, so only ultimo got it spot on that it'd be yet another draw.

===

As promised last week, here are the stats for the D2D choices:

• 27 are men's club teams, 1 is a women's club team (somebody had to choose one after Euro 2022 glory, I suppose) and 0 are international teams – this is why the FPL Cup is mainly played during international rounds; 
  • 15 play in their country's top flight, 7 in the second tier, 3 in the third division and 3 more in even lower levels of their respective pyramids; 
  • 16 are from England, 3 from Germany, 2 each from France and Italy, with one apiece hailing from Canada, Spain, Finland, Romania and... *sigh* San Marino.

If those don't quite add up to as many sides as you were expecting, it's because of slight overlaps concerning one of the most popular teams in this country and a hipsters' favourite from the banks of the River Elbe. Knowing this forum, neither of those should come as much of a surprise.

And with that, I think it's time to attempt to get that pesky Sammarinese pick out of the way with a new set of 10 that should be up in the opening post very soon.

Week 5 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 1-1 Leeds United
Newcastle United 2-1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 1-0 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-2 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 2-1 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0-2 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 1-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 1-2 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

Week 5 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 1-0 Leeds United
Newcastle United 2-1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Southampton 
Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 1-3 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 1-1 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0-1 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 1-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 0-1 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00)