UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

The match results are now in the opening post but I'll save the full Predictions League round-up for its traditional Tuesday night slot. And of course, since it's Week 1, we don't get a table update yet anyway.

Keep in mind that there are 4 full EPL midweek matchday which the Predictions League doesn't cover but which do count as separate Fantasy League rounds, 2 of which are frontloaded this season due to the World Cup so I thought I'd get that out of the way nice and early.

Equally, there are 10 weekends with no EPL games (and therefore no Fantasy League points to score) where we will be carrying on with the Predictions League regardless. Half of those are again because of the World Cup, and there's a poll in the sign-up thread to decide whether those weeks will count properly towards the standings or just be bonus rounds, in case you missed it.

===

Away from housekeeping, a poor start for me in the Fantasy PL. Just 34 points, which is enough to put me among the bottom million players. Marc GuĂ©hi earned minus points thanks to that own goal on Friday night, neither of my keepers kept a clean sheet against much inferior opposition, and six more players on 1 or 2 points each – one of whom was the captained Harry Kane – hardly set the world alight. Remember when I said I often choose players with the most minutes? I picked Connor Coady as he only missed one match in Wolves' past 3 seasons.

Well guess what? He didn't play on Saturday, and the automatic swap-in only earned a single point. I'd left James Ward-Prowse in the second sub position, and although I correctly predicted his team would be on the wrong end of a thumping, he did get his customary goal so I should've started him. The only saving graces were Son, Cancelo and the last-minute addition of Darwin NĂșñez after his Community Shield performance. Better luck next weekend I guess... 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:13 AM, Fog Dude said:

Remember when I said I often choose players with the most minutes? I picked Connor Coady as he only missed one match in Wolves' past 3 seasons.

Well guess what? He didn't play on Saturday

and now we know why. Anyhow, these Tuesday night posts are mainly meant for Predictions League stuff, so let's not dwell on it.

===

One last time, here's how it all ended up last season. We'll have up-to-date table links from next week onwards, but for now, you'll just have to use your imagination. All ten people played and the average score was 7.6 points. The returning Seph is the early leader on a dozen points, with ultimo just behind on 11. It was nice of Stinky Dad to score just 3 so that newcomer Fatty Facesitter doesn't feel too unwelcome as he opens on a mere 4-point haul. The 'wildcard' fixture was, appropriately, match #1 and only Vegeta thought Bournemouth would beat Villa by 2 goals without reply, so he nabs 2 bonuses and nobody else gets any.

Elsewhere, wins for much-fancied moneybags Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea and Man City generally proved fruitful. Reverses for troubled giants Wolves and Man United caught a fair few participants out, whilst a score draw at the King Power between two sides tipped to struggle turned into more of a mixed bag of guesses. Most players rightly thought there'd be 2 home wins in Germany, even if getting both scorelines spot on was harder to come by. Union Berlin have played in Europe in recent seasons, while Hertha only stayed up after winning the Relegation play-off last year, so a Union victory was to be expected. All that looked very unlikely when I first visited the German capital 9 years ago.

But this isn't supposed to be a place to brag about past travels so we need to move onto the next round now. The card for week 2 should be up in the original post in just a tick.

Week 2 fixtures

Premier League

Arsenal 2-1 Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Newcastle United
Manchester City 3-0 Bournemouth
Southampton 1-1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Fulham
Brentford 1-2 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Nottingham Forest 1-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Monaco 2-1 Stade Rennais (16:00)
Nice 2-0 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

• Paid Members

Premier League

Arsenal 2-0 Leicester City
Southampton 2-1 Leeds United
Brentford 2-2 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Nottingham Forest 0-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Monaco 2-0 Stade Rennais (16:00)
Nice 2-1 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

• Paid Members

Have almost finalised my GW2 team for FPL - a couple of late selection calls pending but looking for all green arrows in my mini-leagues by close of play on Monday night when Liverpool play Palace! 

Week 2 fixtures

Premier League

Arsenal 5-1 Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-2 Newcastle United
Manchester City 6-0 Bournemouth
Southampton 0-1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Fulham
Brentford 2-0 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Nottingham Forest 1-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Nice 1-0 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

Going big on Arsenal and Manchester City. I also think United's woes will continue at Brentford so tipping them for the surprise win of the weekend, although considering where United are at presently I'm not sure if you can call it a surprise, which is a mad proposition when you think about it. 

Week 2 fixtures

Premier League

Manchester City 2-0 Bournemouth

Southampton 1-2 Leeds United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Fulham

Brentford 2-1 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 

Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

Week 2 fixtures

Premier League

Manchester City 4-0 Bournemouth
Southampton 0-0 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Fulham
Nottingham Forest 1-3 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Nice 2-0 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

Premier League

Southampton 2-2 Leeds United
Wolves 1-0 Fulham
Brentford 3-1 Manchester United w/ultimo
Nottingham Forest 2-1 West Ham United 
Chelsea 3-2 Spurs

Ligue Un
AS Monaco 0-0 Rennes 
OGC Nice 1-2 RC Strasbourg 

===

On the Fantasy League front, I haven't made any transfers but GuĂ©hi is unsurprisingly in the third sub spot following his own goal last time out. I'm a bit shocked so many people are willing to take the -4 hit so early, as I've done that extremely rarely in over a decade of playing Fantasy Leagues. Call me fickle but after last week's exploits, NĂșñez is now my captain and Ward-Prowse my vice-captain. Declan Rice and Hugo Lloris are swapped out for Pontus Jansson (does that make the formation is 3-4-3 now, Garth? Yes it does) and Alisson respectively. 

Edited by Fog Dude

Week 2 fixtures

Premier League

Arsenal 2 v 1 Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v 1 Newcastle United
Manchester City 2 v 0 Bournemouth
Southampton 1 v 1 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 1 Fulham
Brentford 1 v 2 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Nottingham Forest 0 v 1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 1 v 1 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Monaco 1 v 0  Stade Rennais (16:00)
Nice 1 v 1 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

• Paid Members

Gameweek 2, #LFG etc

884504224_Screenshot2022-08-12at16_05_37.thumb.png.594cfacb25f5a48332fb6d8c5c348903.png

Triple captain. Fuck it, why not. A modest 50 points last week means I need to catch up and I'm gunning for all green arrows in my mini leagues this week. 

Ramsdale (replaces David Raya -4 hit)
Very dependable against Crystal Palace. Leicester do have some attacking threat but I think it's going to take a while for their season to properly get up and running. Ramsdale offers the chance of additional points for multiple saves and bonus point returns even if he won't always keep a clean sheet. 

Trent AA
Hopefully a better week for Trenty-pops this week at home to Palace - think at the very least the double-up on the Liverpool back line has big clean sheet points potential although Palace are a tough match for anyone. Either Trent or Robertson will eventually be making way for Darwin, possibly in the nest fortnight. 

Robertson
See above. Might replace him with Walker or Dias and double up on City defenders instead. 

Trippier
Still a useful bargain at £5million and still on set pieces for Newcastle. Great option. 

Cancelo
Seems to be playing in a slightly different role this season but still lots of attacking return potential on top of being part of a solid defence. 

Martinelli
Hopefully he picks up from where he left off last week - excited to see what he can do with Jesus on home soil this week. 

Salah
As with last week, it's tough to decide whether to captain him or whichever premium forward I have in my starting XI. I've resisted the temptation to put the armband on him for now - need some more data on how he's going to keep linking up with Darwin and how his role might change from previous seasons.

Andreas
Did a decent job for Fulham against Liverpool last week and is on set pieces - Wolves aren't quite up to speed yet judging by their Leeds defeat so it'll be interesting to see how they cope with his deliveries with Mitrovic also bullying their backline. 

Mount
Underperformed last week - the next name I'm looking at very closely and considering swapping out. Needs a big performance against Spurs to convince me otherwise. 

Jesus
Played well against Palace despite not yielding any returns against them - on his full home league debut though I'm hoping for fireworks. 

Haaland (replaces Harry Kane)
Triple captain. Absolutely gutted not to have him in the team last week where the Kane gamble didn't pay off. The triple captaincy in what should be a special home debut showing from him should yield some massive returns. 

Bench
Ward probably won't feature in my team at all. Keeping an eye on Williams and Forest's progression. Almiron still worth holding onto. Archer got minutes for Villa last week so worth keeping hold of. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Premier League

Arsenal 3-1 Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Newcastle United
Manchester City 2-0 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Fulham
Nottingham Forest 2-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Nice 1-0 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

Premier League

Arsenal 3-1 Leicester City
Brentford 1-1 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Nice 3-1 Strasbourg (Sunday 16:05)

• Paid Members

Premier League

Arsenal 2-1 Leicester City
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Newcastle United
Southampton 1-0 Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Fulham
Brentford 2-1 Manchester United w/ultimo the great (17:30) 
Nottingham Forest 1-3 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un

• Paid Members

Second week in a row without a single correct score predicted in my case. Also had a couple of bets that failed by fine margins this weekend. Football, and trying to predict it, is a fool's errand. 

Much better week in Official FPL as it stands - Currently on 66 points with the Liverpool trifecta of Trent, Robertson and Salah still to play. A clean sheet and a Salah goal as a bare minimum would close the week out in style.

As you get older, less things in life tend to truly move you. The beautiful sight of all green arrows for your FPL mini-leagues? Better than sex. 

IMG_8171.thumb.png.916249cb0ea6a583c463fe6f46672826.png

Edited by Fatty Facesitter