UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

Thanks to Rory for making his picks nice and early this week so we all know what we're betting on. I've updated the initial post to reflect the fact that the sign-up period is over. I've also added links to the UKFF Fantasy League tables which I hope are working fine. I've been meaning to do that for about 4 weeks since the Fantasy/Predictions merger was sealed, so I'm relieved that I finally got round to it.

Behind the scenes, the draw has been made for the FPL Cup pool stage. I'll put the groups in the Sunday round-up. The first fixtures in that will fall in the men's international break at the end of the month and I'll endeavour to explain the rules thoroughly but clearly at that time.

===

Now for my own weekly predictions: 

Premier League

Brentford 2-2 Leeds United
Newcastle United 3-0 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 2-0 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City 
Manchester United 1-2 Arsenal 

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 0-2 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-0 Bayern Munich 
Eintracht Frankfurt 1-1 RB Leipzig 

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 3-1 Folgore w/Rory 

===

Lastly, onto the latest Fantasy League disaster. Looks like my score for the week is 37 points, well below average and comfortably among the bottom 10% of competitors for the round. In all likelihood that's in the lowest 1% for people who give it some serious thought and change their team around every matchday. My cousin was boasting over the weekend about how she just picks the fittest players and flukes it every year. Maybe it's about time I try that 'strategy' instead. 

So, the only plus points this time were Cancelo coming good with 12 points as he scored and City at last kept a clean sheet, then Jesus on 6 points and Kane with 5. I should've put Lloris in goal over Alisson since he got 5 points to Becker's 2 in the end. Jansson didn't play as expected, but nor did Lingard even though there's no sign of injury there. I guess a game where Forest were always on a hiding to nothing was a good time to rest him.

The less said about the remaining players, the better. I've shipped out underperforming Guéhi and McGinn (the latter clearly finding the pressure of captaincy too much at Villa) and brought in bargain-priced Ben White and Alexis Mac Allister – yes, he really does spell it with that spacing – as replacements and hopeful upgrades. In a spate of bold moves, I've benched Jesus and Ward-Prowse for this weekend's matches, captained Son and made Toney vice-captain. We'll know in a few days if that was foolish or a masterstroke... 

• Paid Members

Week 5 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 2-0 Leeds United
Newcastle United 3-1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 3-0 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 1-3 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 0-2 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-3 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 2-1 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 2-1 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

Week 5 fixtures

Premier League

Brentford 1-1 Leeds United
Newcastle United 2-1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 0-0 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 2-0 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 2-0 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-3 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 2-1 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 1-2 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

• Paid Members

Absolute filth this week in FPL. Erling, ok, you've convinced me now. 

86770103_Screenshot2022-09-02at22_53_20.thumb.png.4fd064c66fa8542ea190c293c5429982.png

Ramsdale
Bit of a disaster for the goal conceded against Villa. An injury scare for this coming weekend, so have decided to transfer him out for Sanchez for the time being. Will probably bring him back in when I wildcard. Hopefully Sanchez will yield more returns for bonus points. 

Trent AA
I really, really need Liverpool to stop blowing clean sheets. An average display here against Newcastle. Hopefully returns big in the derby. 

Trippier
I actually selected James, but didn't rotate him when the injury news came out. Either way, affected nothing. 

Cancelo
Back to his brilliant best against Forest. I was this close >< to taking him out to free up some funds. More of the same against Villa, please. 

Martinelli
The postman. He's returned in four of the five gameweeks (and was unlucky not to return against Fulham) and is a constant threat for Arsenal. A must-have. 

Rodrigo
Delighted I rolled a transfer the previous week to get him in. Taken out for Bernado Silva and with a -4 hit in the process. Bernado might fall victim to Pep roulette, but he'll do until I can free up funds for Gundogan. 

Salah
Two assists against the Toon but still not quite reaching the dizzy heights of previous years. One to monitor, though the derby is the perfect time for him to shine and silence the doubters. It's strange not looking at him as an armband prospect. 

Andreas
Having a decent run at Fulham - may bench him for the trip to Tottenham but proving to be a nice enabler for me thus far at his price. 

Mitrovic
I love him. An absolute hoss of a striker. No concerns about playing him against the big boys - he's scored against Liverpool and Arsenal already and I think he'll continue his good form over the next few weeks. An absolute bruiser. 

Jesus
Standard. Not a captaincy option for me just yet - but impossible not have him in the team at his price and ownership levels. 

Haaland
Unstoppable. He does so much with so little touches of the ball. We're looking at a Premier League legend in the making. Encouraging comments from Pep with regards to possible rotations for him too - he might not be rotated as much as we fear. Just absolutely gutted he didn't return a hat-trick when I blew the triple captaincy. 

Overall
Best week in FPL so far by a big distance and up there with my best ever - the beautiful sight of all green arrows for the mini-leagues and up to 1.7million - a big jump from my previous rank. Still, work to do to get down to six figures. 

--------------------

Premier League
Newcastle United 1-1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-4 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 1-2 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 4-0 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0-3 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 2-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 1-1 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

A lot of 1-1 draws listed above, surely one of them will come in. Still yet to actually guess a score correctly...

Week 5 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-0 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Southampton 
Aston Villa 0-2 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 2-2 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 3-1 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin w-4 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 2-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 2-1 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00

Premier League

Brentford 1 v 1 Leeds United
Newcastle United 2 v 1 Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest 2 v 1 Bournemouth
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 1 Southampton 
Aston Villa 1 v 3 Manchester City (17:30)
Manchester United 1 v 1 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership
Motherwell 1 v 0 Dundee United

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0 v 2 Bayern Munich (14:30)
Eintracht Frankfurt 1 v 2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese
Libertas 1 v 1 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

Premier League

Brentford 0-2 Leeds United

Newcastle United 2-1 Crystal Palace

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bournemouth

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Southampton 

Aston Villa 0-4 Manchester City (17:30)

Manchester United 1-2 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership

Motherwell 2-0 Dundee United

German Bundesliga

Union Berlin 0-2 Bayern Munich (14:30)

Eintracht Frankfurt 0-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese

Libertas 2-0 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00) 

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

• Paid Members

Premier League

Brentford 0-0 Leeds United

Newcastle United 1-0 Crystal Palace

Nottingham Forest 2-1 Bournemouth

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Southampton 

Aston Villa 0-5 Manchester City (17:30)

Manchester United 1-3 Arsenal (Sunday 16:30)

Scottish Premiership

Motherwell 1-0 Dundee United

German Bundesliga

Union Berlin 0-4 Bayern Munich (14:30)

Eintracht Frankfurt 0-2 RB Leipzig (17:30)

Campionato Sammarinese

Libertas 2-0 Folgore w/RoryFice (Sunday 14:00)

On 9/3/2022 at 11:12 PM, Shy Dad said:

Well I've always wanted a bloody zero in a round of 10.

Honestly it's impossible to predict football right now, everyone's bloody shite bar my Celtic boys.

You needn't worry. The results are at the top of the thread now. I'll round it up properly on Tuesday night, but to be honest, scoring was so freakishly low that there possibly won't be much to say. Can we blame VAR yet? All the 'experts' seem to be doing that right now, so I'm gonna blame VAR too. If I were a Spanish sports newspaper I'd probably come up with an alternative non-VAR table just to see what it'd be like. Alas, nobody's paying me to do that so we'll be stuck with only the ordinary standings this season.

===

So, my Fantasy League score for this round is a decent 62, apparently above the weekly average and inside the top million for the round. It puts me back into an almost respectable position in the general classification and takes me up a notch in most of my leagues, but it isn't so spectacular a haul that it takes me off the bottom in 3 of them. 

Mac Allister was an inspired signing. I was a bit worried when his goal was disallowed today, but then he popped up with two more anyway. He got 14 points, but Toney's hat-trick took him up to 17 and made up for the fact that I don't have the Norwegian goalscoring machine in my squad. Now, if only I'd actually captained one of the buggers! So who did I put the armband on, I hear you ask? Why, Son of course, since he's been good value for that in the past. He had a goal chalked off too, but overall he hasn't performed as well lately as he did in previous seasons.

From the same match, Kane delivered the goods again for a solid 9 points, but Lloris came up against a Mitrović who's still scoring like he's in the Championship, so I should've played Alisson instead, who managed 8 for his clean sheet. Also in the Merseyside derby, Coady earned me 6 points but it could've been even more had his goal been allowed – and then I wouldn't have been bothered about leaving Becker on the bench either.

Groß and Cancelo continue to be fine on 5 and 2 points respectively, whilst Lingard returned to the Forest starting line-up and so got 2 as well... but at the end of the first half it looked like it could be so much more. Jansson returned from injury to play 90 minutes but still only scored a single point, whilst Cash played a mere 26 minutes and was booked, so he got nothing at all and should be first on the chopping block when I next ship players out. The 3 outfielders I left on the bench only scored 4 between them, though, so the real problem is a weak back line across the whole squad rather than selection of the first XI.

No midweek round until mid-October now, so the turnarounds won't be as frantic for 6 weeks and I can have a few days to think about what transfers I want to make.

• Paid Members

Lowest scoring week for me so far too. Not giving in to the Wildcard craze that seems to be doing the rounds just yet but disappointing to say the least! 

Can't believe I'm considering taking out Salah and replacing him with Marcus Rashford of all people. Doing that though frees up budget and it means I can swap one of my City contingent for De Brunye. Liverpool's assets have been quite frustrating overall thus far. 

There's almost no point since scoring was as low as I can remember for a full 10-match card, but the table has been updated anyway. The only movement this time was seph moving back up one place ahead of Shy Dad. It beggars belief, but Facesitter has managed to make himself outright top scorer despite still not having broken his three-pointer duck. Credit where it's due, I'm sure that record will never be beaten.

Scoring would've been even lower had it not been for a generous c-c-c-Combo Breaker(!) of a bet on Fulg... sorry, Folgore from Rory. The D2D match ended goalless and Mr Fice bet on an away win, so everybody who picked either a home win or any sort of draw nabbed a pair of bonus points, which accounts for seven of nine* other participants in this round. Overall, Rory is still in last and I'm at the summit, but by a mere 3 points in each case. We were both among the joint worst performers for the week, albeit not far behind Nicko.

What made the difference for young Fatty was the sole 'wildcard' bonus award this week. The randomiser came up with match #2, Newcastle v Palace, and although it was a controversial stalemate, only Facesitter plumped for a draw and everyone else foresaw a home victory. Like I said on Sunday night, VAR has a lot to answer for. Elsewhere, nobody saw a seven-goal thriller coming at Brentford, while Bournemouth's second-half comeback at The City Ground also produced a dud outcome.

Bayern and City failing to win on the road, Leipzig getting stuffed in Frankfurt, Arsenal's first reverse of the campaign and Dundee United suddenly remembering how to defend all contributed towards the pitiful scores. Just the score draw at Molineux left then, which feels like a fairly ordinary scoreline but even that was a mixed bag of guesses in truth.

*no, nothing to do with Star Trek here

===

Right, I promised the FPL Cup draw on Thursday and didn't deliver, so here we go: 

GROUP A

Fatty Facesitter

RoryFice (title holder)
Stinky Dad
TildeGuy~!
Vegeta

GROUP B

Fog Dude

MVP RULZ
seph
Shy Dad
ultimo the great

The draw was seeded, but I've put it into alphabetical order here and then re-randomised it to figure out the actual fixtures. Everybody will face all the other people in their own group, the plus one person from the other group, selected arbitrarily.

The pool phase will begin with the men's international break at the end of the month. The remainder of the group clashes will take place during the Qatar World Cup. The quarter-finals will follow a set pattern (1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd) but then the semis will be drawn at random again. They'll happen in the March international break, which is still happening as Euro 2024 qualifiers will be overdue by then.

The semi-finals will take place on men's FA Cup semi weekend, whilst the final will occur sometime in May.

===

In the meantime, the next card for the main predictions competition will go up in the initial post very soon.

Edited by Fog Dude

Week 6 fixtures

Bournemouth w/Vegeta 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion 
Leicester City 1-1 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Southampton 1-1 Brentford
Manchester City 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (17:30)
Arsenal 2-1 Everton (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 1-0 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)
Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un
Olympique de Marseille 2-0 Lille (20:00)
Monaco 1-2 Olympique Lyonnais (Sunday 19:45)

Bournemouth w/Vegeta 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion 

Leicester City 1-2 Aston Villa

Liverpool 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Southampton 1-0 Brentford

Manchester City 3-1 Tottenham Hotspur (17:30)

Arsenal 2-0 Everton (Sunday 14:00)

West Ham United 1-2 Newcastle United (Sunday 14:00)

Crystal Palace 0-2 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Ligue Un

Olympique de Marseille 2-0 Lille (20:00)

Monaco 0-2 Olympique Lyonnais (Sunday 19:45)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

===