UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

12 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

La Liga

Atlético Madrid 4-4 Real Madrid 

Not for the first time this season, a bold move on your part. Wouldn't it be something if that scoreline turns out to be your first three-pointer of the campaign?

Anyway, I dashed here first thing because I was reading yesterday's Knowledge column over a bowl of granola and remembered I once submitted a question about Scottish Cup replays (they didn't accept it; seems only questions from Twitter get featured these days). That immediately made me think about the ties added to this week's card at the last minute and I suddenly recalled something I should've mentioned in the opening post: a few weeks ago, the SFA voted to scrap all replays in the competition proper, not just from Round 4 onwards as had previously been agreed.

This comes with its usual caveats for our little contest – people can still bet on a draw, but that'll only be accepted as the result if it's still level after extra time. Any penalty shootouts will be ignored. So, tread with caution on that front. Luckily none of the guesses so far have plumped for draws anyway, but I thought it was best to clarify that rule change as soon as possible. The English FA Cup qualifiers still go to replays if it's level after normal time, as far as I'm aware, so treat those as regular matches.

And with that in mind, my picks: 

Premier League

Newcastle United 3-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-1 West Ham United 

FA Cup second round qualifying
Coalville Town 0-2 Macclesfield
Darlington 2-0 Southport
Lancaster City 1-3 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 2-1 East Stirling
Linlithgow Rose 0-1 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 3-1 Sevilla 
Atlético Madrid 2-2 Real Madrid

EDIT: Almost forgot the Dutch game

Eredivisie

PSV Eindhoven 1-0 Feyenoord

Edited by Fog Dude

Premier League

Newcastle United 2 v 1 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1 v 1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

FA Challenge Cup qualifying
Coalville Town 0 v 2 Macclesfield
Darlington 3 v 0 Southport
Lancaster City 1 v 1 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 0 v 2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 0 v 2 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 0 v 1 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1 v 1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 1 v 1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Darlington 2-1 Southport
Lancaster City 1-3 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 0-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 0-3 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 2-0 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-3 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 2-0 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

• Paid Members

Time for a cheeky Free Hit in FPL. Had a shocker before the break two weeks ago, so the next team will look totally different, including a big, big call coming up for the wildcard in the break - 

757657706_Screenshot2022-09-16at13_45_14.thumb.png.9c9603278466d630caf84d3d605fb2ea.png

Sanchez
Bought in to replace Ramsey in what turned out to be Potter's final game in charge of Brighton. Still going to keep him in the squad, but Brighton's change of coach and next game getting called off means he's going to be my main bench goalie for a bit, replacing Ward. 

Trent AA
Hanging on to my squad by the hairs of his arse. His attacking potential is still too good to ignore but a really disappointing FPL start. 

James
Should continue to thrive once Potter comes in. No thoughts about dropping him at this stage. 

Cancelo
No clean sheet against Villa but showed his class against Dortmund in the Champions League - still a must-have. 

Trippier
A very good FPL start for Tripps. Has played a lot of games for the Toon so far and taken a couple of knocks, but has led them brilliantly on the field. 

Martinelli
Robbed of more precious FPL points against United. Still an excellent option and my favourite amongst the Arsenal crew. 

Salah
For now, he's played his last game for me. For his budget, the returns just aren't there at the moment. If he gets back to his old self then he can be hauled back in at a later date, but for now, it's NO SALAH.

Bernado Silva
Bought in solely as a route to get to another City midfielder - more on this later. 

Haaland
At this point, the de-facto captaincy option. Just too good. An absolute boss. 

Mitrovic
Absolute lad. Lots of people plumping for Toney, but I already had Haaland and Jesus so it was one or the other. Big Mitro is fixture-proof and can score against anyone. A unit. An absolute bastard for opposition players to play against. 

Jesus
Still a good budget enabler even if he hasn't quite returned as many points as we were perhaps expecting at the start of the game, despite some promising displays. 

Bench
Done with Ward. Williams is still a good enabler. Andreas is an excellent bench pick. Almiron isn't returning enough. 

0_Champions-League-Final-Real-Madrid-v-Liverpool.thumb.jpeg.7533597154311df607e4b14521ef0927.jpeg

So before more postponements arose, I took out both Salah and Bernado - replacing them with De Bruyne and Rashford. Annoyingly the United fixture was cancelled soon after. 

So that means playing a free hit for this week. I've resisted the need to wildcard for now - the plan was always to use this during the first international break, as we get winter World Cup Wildcard anyway. 

This is my current Free Hit team, subject to the next few hours of tinkering - 

1111449230_Screenshot2022-09-16at14_28_49.thumb.png.d60aa8b51ea2ef275425182af3fe1d34.png

Potentially a bit of a waste to have Pope on the bench - though I realised I had enough money left in the bank to go with Lloris in goal. That's the last position I'm tinkering with at the moment - by putting Pope in the sticks and picking a budget keeper for the weekend, I could potentially beef up another position. But getting Haaland, Kane and De Bruyne in the mix is quite tidy. 

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 0-1 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 0-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Darlington 2-1 Southport
Lancaster City 0-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 0-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 0-2 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 0-2 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 2-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

===

Not about to go into the same sublime level of detail that Nicko did, but here's a little update on my Fantasy League team anyway. I decided not to use the Free Hit chip yet, but still swapped out Matty Cash (not much use so far, said to have a 25% chance of playing due to injury... and indeed, he hasn't started tonight) for Fabian Schär who's the same price at £4.7m

Only one of the four players on my bench actually has a game this weekend, so it's a little bit of a risk in that respect. If Spurs, Brentford and Arsenal do end up not playing as I feared on Wednesday morning, then I'm screwed. But I think we're close enough to kick-off time in both matches now that it'll be fine.

Looking ahead, the Arsenal-Man City fixture in Gameweek 12 is already off, so that might be a good time to use my Wild Card after all. It was meant to fall slap bang in the middle of UEFA matchdays 4 and 5, but with Arsenal in the Europa and City in the Champions League, the logistics of it haven't worked out. Poor planning by the EPL there. 

===

That's a midweek round and also right after my birthday, so it likely won't affect anything we had planned for the Predictions League. Speaking of which, it'd have been nice to have that extra flexibility I mentioned in response to ultimo's recent comment.

Other fallen giants involved in the cups this weekend include Bradford Park Avenue, Chester, Hereford, Kidderminster (who really should've made it to the round of 16 last season), Boston Utd, Scarborough, Brechin, Clydebank and a reformed version of 2006 runners-up Gretna. There's also curiosities like FC United, Enfield, Lewes, South Shields, Met Police (booo!) and Merthyr, plus teams who've gone on giant-killing runs in recent years – or further back – like Blyth Spartans, Chasetown, Margate, Paulton, Tamworth, Nuneaton, St Albans, Yate and Marine.

If we had included 6 or 7 Premier League games, I'd have preferred to be able to feature a handful of Cup ties as well. But so far the only time we've afforded ourselves that kind of leeway is Third Round weekend.

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Coalville Town 1-3 Macclesfield
Darlington 2-1 Southport
Lancaster City 1-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 1-4 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 2-3 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 2-2 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie

Premier League

Newcastle United 1-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 2-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Coalville Town 0-3 Macclesfield
Darlington 0-1 Southport
Lancaster City 1-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 3-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 3-0 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 1-1 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie

• Paid Members

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-1 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Coalville Town 0-2 Macclesfield
Darlington 2-1 Southport
Lancaster City 1-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 3-1 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 0-1 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 2-1 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 1-0 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

I'd read all the stuff about how Son had been off-form this season, and especially so in Lisbon a week ago, and how he ought to be dropped. But I'm a stubborn old fool so I captained him anyway... and then he was dropped, and I was thinking I'd have to rely on a good showing from my vice-captain Toney (who ultimately got 2 points) the following day. Then he came off the bench, and I presumed his one point for 31 minutes of action would double up to two. Twenty minutes later, he'd scored a hat-trick and earned 19 points, which doubled up to 38 for me. My only regret was that I didn't have the guts to triple-captain him in a week when many were probably transferring the Korean out, or at least benching him.

In the same match, another goal and assist from Kane put him into double figures again, whilst Lloris was my goalie by since Alisson didn't have a game. It started well with him appearing to have saved a penalty, but he ended up far away from a clean sheet, and now he might be injured for the next round in 10 days time. FFS. Quite the emotional rollercoaster on Saturday evening there. Much more straightforward early on Sunday as Arsenal ran riot, Jesus earning me another 6 points. I mentioned I had just the one player on the bench with an actual fixture and it turns out I really should've played him (Ben White on 6 points) over Pontus Jansson (1). 

Elsewhere, Cancelo and Coady continue to be as reliable as ever at the back on 9 and 5 points respectively, but my new signing Schär didn't deliver the goods, managing just 2 points, with the midfield duo of Lingard and Ward-Prowse also struggling on a point apiece. It doesn't help that both their clubs don't look in great shape this season either.

Overall then, a well above average 77 points for the round, although almost half of those came from a single player, and more than 50 from just one club and match. I'm not going to have that kind of luck all the time. That leaves me in the highest quarter million players for the gameweek, and into the top 6 million in the general classification. It moves me up in 5 of my leagues too, including in one of the UKFF leagues, another forum league and the family league so I'm happy with that for now. No Fantasy League update until late next week due to the international round, but the Predictions competition continues apace... 

===

The results went into the opening post on Sunday night. For a few minutes in the middle of the second half, it looked like Vegeta's gamble was gonna pay off big time. He was briefly on course for 18 bonus points which shows the risk was worth taking. Newcastle weren't very incisive and even when they succeeded in cutting through Bournemouth's defence, Neto played a blinder. VAR kind of dicked the visitors over though with a dodgy deliberate handball -> penalty call. Only the outcome in the record books actually counts for Predictions League purposes, however, so a score draw it is, and a brace of points each for the rest of the field.

Scoring was a tad healthier than in the previous two rounds, with joint lowest scorer seph still achieving 5 points to slip into the bottom half by the narrowest possible margin below Shy Dad, who was the best performer and the sole participant to nab more than one three-pointer. Rory was also into double figures, leaving the unfortunate Vegeta cut even further adrift at the foot of the standings. Equal with seph in getting the weekly wooden spoon was MVP RULZ, allowing me to move ahead by a point despite an unimpressive below-average 6-point haul.

Put the flags out! No, not the Royal Standard – preferably the Valencian and Andalusian (and Norfolk) banners because Nicko finally has an exact score! It wasn't the ballsy Madrid derby prediction that did it, but a rather more mundane 1-1 draw between Villarreal and Sevilla. Onwards and upwards from here for young Facesitter? To be fair, that match proved fruitful in general. Home wins for Darlo and PSV were generally good for one-pointers as well, but nobody quite foresaw them turning into a five- and seven-goal thriller respectively.

The latter also earned everyone except Stinky Dad a bonus point for being the random 'wildcard' fixture. Victory for Real over Atlético in the Wanda Metropolitano was easier to guess beforehand than a tactical triumph for Frank Lampard over David Moyes at Goodison. Bournemouth holding Newcastle wasn't much use to most people either, except for the aforementioned bonuses.

Macclesfield FC and Bury AFC may be continuations of the clubs Macclesfield Town and Bury FC, but they aren't the same teams of professional they were when those iterations went bust (as hinted at in that Robbie Savage documentary last year), so it should feel less of a shock that neither won on Saturday. In Scotland, the big upset involved a side I didn't even mention on Friday, as the Blue Brazil contrived to lose at home to Bo'ness from across the Firth of Forth, but Berwick and East Stirling didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either.

Even here in Wales, I counted at least 6 teams who've represented the country in Europe this century (albeit just in the qualifiers, granted) forced to slum it in the First Round of the Cwpan Cymru – and not all of those got through, to boot. Anyway, I'm rambling too much about stuff that has nothing to do with either the Fantasy League or predictions now.

Remember that there's no D2D during FPL Cup/international rounds, but there will still be an arbitrarily chosen 'wildcard' match once all the games are done. The next set of 10 and a reminder of those Cup group stage clashes I posted last week will be at the top of the thread shortly. Oh, and because I completely forgot about it before, here's the table too.

Week 8 fixtures

UEFA Nations League 

Northern Ireland 1-1 Kosovo (17:00)
Slovenia 1-2 Norway (17:00)
Cyprus 1-1 Greece 
Czechia 1-2 Portugal 
Serbia 1-1 Sweden 
Scotland 1-1 Ireland 
Austria 1-2 Croatia (Sunday)
Denmark 1-2 France (Sunday)
Netherlands 2-1 Belgium (Sunday)
Wales 2-1 Poland (Sunday)

Week 8 fixtures

UEFA Nations League 

Northern Ireland 3 v 0 Kosovo (17:00)
Slovenia 1 v 2 Norway (17:00)
Cyprus 0 v 2 Greece 
Czechia 0 v 2 Portugal 
Serbia 1 v 2 Sweden 
Scotland 1 v 1 Ireland 
Austria 0 v 2 Croatia (Sunday)
Denmark 0 v 2 France (Sunday)
Netherlands 1 v 1 Belgium (Sunday)
Wales 1 v 2 Poland (Sunday)

• Paid Members

Week 8 fixtures

UEFA Nations League 

Northern Ireland 2-1 Kosovo (17:00)
Slovenia 1-2 Norway (17:00)
Cyprus 1-1 Greece 
Czechia 0-2 Portugal 
Serbia 1-3 Sweden 
Scotland 1-2 Ireland 
Austria 2-2 Croatia (Sunday)
Netherlands 1-2 Belgium (Sunday)
Wales 1-1 Poland (Sunday)

UEFA Nations League 

Northern Ireland 2-0 Kosovo (17:00)

Slovenia 0-2 Norway (17:00)

Cyprus 0-3 Greece 

Czechia 1-2 Portugal 

Serbia 1-1 Sweden 

Scotland 1-1 Ireland 

Austria 1-2 Croatia (Sunday)

Netherlands 1-1 Belgium (Sunday)

Wales 1-2 Poland (Sunday)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 19:45 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

UEFA Nations League 

Northern Ireland 2-1 Kosovo 
Slovenia 0-0 Norway 
Cyprus 0-2 Greece 
Czechia 1-0 Portugal 
Serbia 2-3 Sweden 
Scotland 1-1 Ireland 
Austria 3-1 Croatia 
Denmark 2-2 France 
Netherlands 3-2 Belgium 
Wales 2-0 Poland