UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

On 10/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, RoryFice said:

Never heard Kilwinning described as a "delightful village" before!

Lived there for the first 25 years of my life and although I ended up supporting/running Ardeer, I'm hoping that the Buffs can spring a surprise today. I know plenty of folk who'll be at the match.

I was staying in Greenock during the 2014 Commonwealth Games but didn't have tickets for any events on a couple of days. On the first of those I naturally went and 'did' Edinburgh but on the second I woke up not knowing where I'd end up, stuck a pin in a map of nearby locations and was drawn to Kilwinning for whatever reason. Saw the old weaver's cottage, Bobbins café and the Scout hut and recall being left with a good impression. Sounds like a good age at which to escape it too though!

Anyway, a few people were as optimistic as we were about a shock result, but as it turned out the upset came in the other Cup tie at Fraserburgh, which nobody foresaw. That must have been an unhappy long journey home for Stranraer. Another dud outcome was match #4, Spurs v Newcastle Utd, which was the random 'wildcard' fixture. No-one went for an away win there, which explains why there are no further bonuses beyond the extra D2D points this time.

Indeed, it was a low-scoring round overall with three second-tier draws producing only a single correct exact score guess between them. Apart from that, it was just the odd one-pointer. A comfortable home victory for Everton, a last-gasp equaliser that barely crossed the line for Man U at Stamford Bridge and Arsenal dropping points with a rare draw all caught everybody out. 

A majority of participants got three or more points from the D2D game at Loftus Road, mind, as Stinky Dad settled on the safer bet of a draw but QPR still triumphed and everyone except (you guessed it) Rory rightly disagreed with him to claim their bonus points. As is often the case, that left Stinky as the week's lowest scorer but elsewhere, Vegeta moved back off the bottom of the standings, Tilde is now on a nice overall score, and top scorer ultimo was the sole player into double figures this week, and also the only one with more than one three-pointer.

That moves him up into third spot, which is basically nosebleed territory by his standards. At the actual summit itself, MVP RULZ' lead has been cut to 17 points by seph, who started slowly but still has his first D2D turn to come so the situation is far from a lost cause.

The final scores have been in the opening post since Sunday night, and the next set of 10 will be there shortly. Oh, and the table's been updated as usual. Fantasy League update coming alongside my picks on Thursday.

Week 13 fixtures

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Brentford 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-2 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!
Crystal Palace 2-1 Southampton
Newcastle United 2-1 Aston Villa
Fulham 1-1 Everton (17:30)

Serie A
Lecce 0-2 Juventus (17:00)
Torino 0-2 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7
Raon-l'Étape 0-2 Metz (17:00)
Stade Bordelais 1-2 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00)

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Brentford 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-3 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!

Fulham 2-1 Everton (17:30)

Serie A

Lecce 0-3 Juventus (17:00)

Torino 0-2 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7

Stade Bordelais 0-2 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Saturday start times are listed in BST and Sunday times are listed in GMT.

In the Fantasy League, Haaland did well for me again, but he's selected by most people so I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is. Captaining him certainly helps as his 13 points doubled up to 26, but since he's now listed as a slight doubt I've downgraded him to just vice-captain for the coming Gameweek. Almirón was also into double figures, with Kane on 8 and Mitrović on 6 as the other decent scorers. 

The four players I left on the bench scored 6 points between them (not each), but 7 players I did start also failed to bag more than 2 points, including Jonny who nabbed a big fat zero despite playing as it became clear that Bruno Lage at Molineux might've been a West Brom agent all along. Of course I started the season with West Ham, Villa and Forest players but gradually shipped them out. The round's Team of the Week therefore naturally contains two Hammers and two Villains plus a Tricky Tree in goal. 

I've binned off Jonny who was already in the last chance saloon before that shocker at the weekend, and brought in Leicester's Timothy Castagne now that the Foxes seem to be back in some form after a couple of wins on the bounce, including that thrashing of Wolves. Almirón gets the armband. Perhaps I've gone crazy but I've dropped all 3 Spurs players to the bench alongside Cancelo

I got 60 points overall, slightly above average again. It also puts me inside the top 25% of weekly players once more and keeps me in the top half globally for the season. I'm up a notch in 4 private leagues (including one of the UKFF ones) but static in the rest.

===

To be fair to Tilde, I ought to be point out that the match I originally pencilled in for his first D2D was scheduled for Week 7, hasn't been played yet and when it is, it'll probably be in midweek so it won't concern us. Just thought I'd note that here in the interests of transparency. Anyway, my picks: 

Premier League

Bournemouth 2-0 Spurs
Brentford 3-0 Wolves
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Chelsea w/TildeGuy
Crystal Palace 0-0 Southampton
Newcastle United 3-1 Aston Villa
Fulham 2-1 Everton 

Serie A
Lecce 1-1 Juventus 
Torino 1-2 Milan 

French Cup Seventh Round 
Raon l'Étape 0-3 Metz 
Stade bordelais 1-3 Girondins de Bordeaux (in Le Bouscat)

Week 13 fixtures

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Newcastle United 2-0 Aston Villa
Fulham 1-1 Everton (17:30)

Serie A
Lecce 0-2 Juventus (17:00)
Torino 1-3 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7
Raon-l'Étape 0-3 Metz (17:00)

• Paid Members

Week 13 fixtures

Premier League

Bournemouth 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Brentford 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 3-0 Southampton
Fulham 2-2 Everton (17:30)

Serie A
Lecce 0-4 Juventus (17:00)
Torino 0-3 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7

• Paid Members

Week 13 fixtures

Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-2 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!
Newcastle United 3-0 Aston Villa

Serie A
Lecce 0-3 Juventus (17:00)

French Cup Round 7
Raon-l'Étape 1-3 Metz (17:00)
Stade Bordelais 1-2 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00)

Premier League

Bournemouth 1 v 2 Tottenham Hotspur
Brentford 1 v 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v 2 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!
Crystal Palace 1  v 1 Southampton
Newcastle United 2 v 1 Aston Villa
Fulham 1 v 0 Everton (17:30)

Serie A
Lecce 0 v 2 Juventus (17:00)
Torino 1 v 2 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7
Raon-l'Étape 0 v 2 Metz (17:00)
Stade Bordelais 1 v 2 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00)

Premier League

Bournemouth 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Brentford 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!

Serie A
Lecce 0-1 Juventus (17:00)

French Cup Round 7
Raon-l'Étape 0-3Metz (17:00)
Stade Bordelais 1-3 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00)

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Brentford 1-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!
Fulham 1-2 Everton (17:30)

Serie A
Lecce 1-1 Juventus (17:00)
Torino 1-1 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7

• Paid Members

Premier League

Brentford 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Chelsea w/TildeGuy~!

Newcastle United 3-1 Aston Villa

Fulham 1-0 Everton (17:30)

Serie A

Lecce 1-3 Juventus (17:00)

Torino 1-2 AC Milan (Sunday 19:45)

French Cup Round 7

Raon-l'Étape 0-4 Metz (17:00)

Stade Bordelais 0-4 Girondins de Bordeaux (19:00

Nine results went into the opening post last night. On Friday evening, a centrally appointed public official for the Vosges département called off the Metz match at under 24 hours notice due to "insufficient security personnel" even though Metz had offered to reverse the tie in case that was going to be an issue. Don't think the Chief Executive of County Councils can cancel events the night before like that over here, but France is weird like that. I only found this out when looking for the result on Saturday. I wouldn't have included the game had I known it was gonna be postponed or if the higher-division side had been allowed to play the tie at their ground.

That said, what's even stupider about the situation is that it's due to be completed tomorrow. I fail to see how a midweek fixture after the clocks have gone back will be safer than it would've been to go ahead with the original plan on Saturday afternoon, but hey-ho, it does at least mean that people's guesses for that tie will still count. Regardless of the outcome in the Grand-Est, MVP RULZ will still be top as he nabbed the 'wildcard' bonus points all for himself this week. Most participants went for a Juve win at Lecce, but only the current leader thought it'd be a nervy 1-0 that eases the pressure on Max Allegri after the Champions League exit a few days earlier.

Closer to home, TildeGuy emphatically got his Brighton-Chelsea D2D bet wrong as the form book since both those sides changed managers was flipped on its head. A minority of other players correctly disagreed with him, and some of those only plumped for a draw. Nobody got the exact scoreline right from the AmEx, unsurprisingly enough. I'll round up the remaining matches and link to the table tomorrow night.

===

In the meantime, let's have another Fantasy League update. Let's start with that same match at Falmer, where Mac Allister only scored 2 but a late goal for Groß bumped his haul up to 7 points.

I also picked Sánchez over Lloris in goal correctly. In fact, even though Spurs got away with it in the end at The Vitality Dean Court, I was right to leave all 3 of their players that I've got on the bench as they all scored 1 point each. 

Haaland didn't play after all, so his team-mate Cancelo was swapped in for him and was good for 6 points. My new signing Castagne got just 2 in the Foxes' losing effort in that game. In two of Saturday's less eventual meetings, Zaha and Mitrović scored a mere 2 and 1 points respectively.

The pivotal clash was Newcastle Utd-Villa, where my trio of Magpies filled their boots. Almirón's dozen doubles up to 24 as he was captain, Trippier managed 11 on top of that and even Schär nabbed 6 points for a clean sheet. He is now listed as an injury doubt for the next matchday, mind.

From the Sunday fixtures, my squad's sole involvement was from Martinelli who added a further 8 points as part of Arsenal's emphatic win. All of that left me on 74 points for the week, above average again and up in most of my private leagues, static in the rest. Not sure what I'm doing for Gameweek 15 since it's only Monday, but I'll keep you posted.

On a rainy evening in (appropriately enough) Lorraine, Metz ran out 2-1 winners so the original post was updated again a few hours ago and we can actually now work out the table too. Everybody went for an away win in that match, but nobody got the exact scoreline so everybody has one more point than they did on Sunday night. Indeed, three-pointers were extremely difficult to come by in this round. Nicko just about manages to haul himself off the foot of the standings by a single point, whilst the only other movement sees Shy Dad leap up into second spot, albeit behind MVP RULZ by a full twenty-two points (it feels like one of those seasons... )

That said, he and fellow nearest challenger seph do have their first-choice D2D still to come, so all is far from lost. Now for the 7 matches not yet mentioned so far in this post or the previous one: 

Spurs' comeback at Bournemouth salvaged a point for everybody except me, with Newcastle's drubbing of Villa going one better and earning a point for the entire field. It would've proved more fruitful if the stalemate had come at Selhurst Park instead of Craven Cottage, but both matches were still decent for a few one-pointers. The score draw at Brentford turned out to be just as tough to foresee, but it did also account for both the Dads' exact score guesses, which were the only ones of the entire round aside from the pick that nabbed the leader those extra bonus points.

Milan's defeat in Turin ended up as a dud outcome, and somehow nobody quite landed on 3-0 as Bordeaux eased into the next round of the Coupe de France in one of their city's own suburbs – well, in a banlieue at any rate, which doesn't have quite the same positive connotation that it does here. At least everyone managed to nab a point from that tie, with the actual upsets (as well as a lot of favourites sneaking through on penalties) happening elsewhere.

The next card, including some men's FA Cup ties and a few huge clashes from the continent, will go up at the top of the thread very soon. 

Premier League

Leeds United 0-1 Bournemouth
Chelsea 0-2 Arsenal (Sunday 12:00)
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Liverpool (Sunday 16:30)

FA Challenge Cup First Round proper
Chippenham Town 0-2 Lincoln City
Fylde 0-2 Gillingham
Solihull Moors 0-2 Hartlepool United
Weymouth 0-2 Wimbledon

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 1-3 Bayern Munich (14:30)

Serie A
Juventus 0-2 Internazionale (Sunday 19:45)

Eredivisie
Ajax 2-1 PSV (Sunday 15:45)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

===