UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

Premier League

Bournemouth 1-3 Leicester City
Newcastle United 2-1 Brentford
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur (17:30)
Crystal Palace 2-2 Leeds United (Sunday 14:00)
Arsenal 3-2 Liverpool (Sunday 16:30)
Everton 0-0 Manchester United (Sunday 19:00)

German Bundesliga
Bayer Leverkusen 1-0 Schalke (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Bayern Munich (17:30)

Austrian Bundesliga
Rheindorf Altach 0-1 Red Bull Salzburg (16:00)
Rapid Vienna 1-2 Austria Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

• Paid Members

Premier League

Bournemouth 1-2 Leicester City
Newcastle United 2-0 Brentford
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur (17:30)
Crystal Palace 2-2 Leeds United (Sunday 14:00)
Arsenal 1-2 Liverpool (Sunday 16:30)
Everton 1-0 Manchester United (Sunday 19:00)

German Bundesliga
Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 Schalke (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 1-4 Bayern Munich (17:30)

Austrian Bundesliga
Rheindorf Altach 0-3 Red Bull Salzburg (16:00)
Rapid Vienna 1-2 Austria Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

The results have been in the initial post since Sunday night and the table has now been updated. As alluded to in the post directly above this one, Nicko is unsurprisingly now stone bottom. He should just count himself lucky that we don't deduct points for posting war crimes in the Chippy Tea thread.

I'm glad to see our current top 2, MVP RULZ and seph, agree with me that the Austrian Bundesliga is the real deal. The German one was actually founded earlier but didn't become a true national league until The Invention of Football in 1992, whereas the Austrian version featured teams from across the country right from the start.

On that note, the 'wildcard' fixture ended up as match #7 this time, a very one-sided Ruhr derby. Nobody quite guessed 4-0 to Leverkusen (but I was closest with 3-0) but most went for a home win and so get a single bonus point each. Stinky and Vegeta seem to have forgotten that the team from Gelsenkirchen are a newly promoted outfit this season.

The latter moves off of last place almost in spite of himself, whilst the former was the week's worst performer and sinks into mid-table. Top scorer ultimo is up into fourth spot, while Tilde and Rory were also into double figures to move further away from the foot of the standings. The gap at the summit is a whopping 19 points, but three quarters of the D2Ds are yet to come. If all no-frills rounds are as high-scoring as this one then there'll be plenty of points to play for.

A score draw in the other German derby, der Klassiker, caught everyone out except our fearless leader who got the scoreline spot on. An expected victory for RB Salzburg was generally good for one-pointers, but only last-minute pickers Rory and Shy Dad foresaw a triumph on the road for Austria Vienna. 

Closer to home, wins for Newcastle (more on that match in the Fantasy League round-up), Palace, Spurs, Arsenal and Man United largely proved very fruitful indeed, but Bournemouth's comeback success against the Foxes turned out to much be tougher to guess beforehand. Oh, and in case anybody was wondering, the match I attended finished up 4-1 to favourites Conwy Borough. Might go and catch them at their place in the next round.

Why mention that? Well, because the next set of 10 is a cup special, of course! That'll be up in the first post sharpish. 

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 0-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

FA Challenge Cup last qualifying round
Beckenham Town 1-2 Dagenham & Redbridge
South Shields 0-2 Scunthorpe United
St Ives Town 0-2 Halifax Town

La Liga
Real Madrid 2-1 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un
Paris St Germain 2-1 Olympique de Marseille (Sunday 19:45)

Portuguese Cup Third Round
Caldas 0-2 Benfica (20:45)
Varzim 0-2 Sporting Lisbon (Sunday 19:00)
Anadia 0-2 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 0Nottingham Forest

Liverpool  2 v 2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

Beckenham Town 0 v 2 Dagenham & Redbridge
South Shields 0 v 3 Scunthorpe United
St Ives Town 0 v 2 Halifax Town

La Liga
Real Madrid 3 v 1 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un
Paris St Germain 2 v 1 Olympique de Marseille (Sunday 19:45)

Caldas 0 v 2 Benfica (20:45)
Varzim 0 v 2 Sporting Lisbon (Sunday 19:00)
Anadia 0 v 3 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 1-3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

FA Challenge Cup last qualifying round
Beckenham Town 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

La Liga
Real Madrid 1-2 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un

Caldas 0-3 Benfica (20:45)
Varzim 0-3 Sporting Lisbon (Sunday 19:00)
Anadia 0-3  Porto (Sunday 20:45)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST. 

And so to another Fantasy League update. Really wish I had the time and organisation skills to make these separate from Predictions League posts, but hey-ho. Anyway, once again Saturday went better than either of the subsequent days. Both goalies had tough-looking fixtures, but I was right to plump for Lloris as he got a clean sheet and some bonuses to finish in double figures. Kane and Son also delivered with 7 and 6 points respectively from that match.

Cancelo was the big scorer though, on 18 points. I'd made him vice-captain but really should've handed him the armband. I note that the best performer globally even had the foresight to triple captain him. The only decent score I got from any of my players on Sunday or Monday was Jesus with 5. 

As I alluded to in the blurb on Tuesday night, the key game seemed to be Newcastle-Brentford. I'd put Almirón straight in as captain and he got a goal, so his 7 points doubled up to 14 for me. On the other hand, Schär managed just the bog standard 2 points and I left Toney on the bench. Even though the Bees got walloped, he always seems to have something to prove whenever he visits St James' Park and indeed he bagged his customary goal, so I should've started him ahead of any of White, Coady, Mac Allister or Groß.

All of that left me on 68 points, still slightly above average for the round (top 2.8m players) so not terrible. Enough to move up in four leagues but remain static in the rest. I've now got 456 points overall, not quite where I wanted to be but salvageable with over two thirds of the season still to go.

For next week, I've shipped out Alisson and an underperforming Ward-Prowse in favour of Nick Pope and Gabriel Martinelli which is looking good for this weekend only – but there's a problem. For the imminent midweek round, Gameweek 12, I've now got 4 outfielders from either Arsenal or Man City and they don't have a game. So, it'll either be time to play the Free Hit chip or use my first Wildcard. Probably the latter since I usually try to backload that but it has to be used up extra early this season.

===

Premier League

Wolves 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 2-3 Manchester City

FA Cup fourth qualifying round
Beckenham Town 0-1 Dagenham & Redbridge
South Shields 2-1 Scunthorpe United
St Ives Town 1-2 Halifax Town

La Liga
Real Madrid 2-2 Barcelona 

Ligue Un
Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 Marseille 

Portuguese Cup Round of 64
Caldas 0-2 Benfica 
Varzim 1-3 Sporting Lisbon 
Anadia 0-3 Porto

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 1-3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

South Shields 1-3 Scunthorpe United
St Ives Town 0-3 Halifax Town

La Liga
Real Madrid 2-3 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un
Paris St Germain 2-0 Olympique de Marseille (Sunday 19:45)

Anadia 0-3 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

Beckenham Town 2-4 Dagenham & Redbridge
St Ives Town 1-3 Halifax Town

La Liga
Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un

Caldas 0-4 Benfica (20:45)
Varzim 1-3 Sporting Lisbon (Sunday 19:00)
Anadia 0-4 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-1 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 2-4 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

FA Challenge Cup last qualifying round
Beckenham Town 1-2 Dagenham & Redbridge
South Shields 1-2 Scunthorpe United

La Liga
Real Madrid 1-1 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un

Varzim 1-2 Sporting Lisbon (Sunday 19:00)
Anadia 0-2 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

• Paid Members

Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 2-3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

South Shields 1-0 Scunthorpe United
St Ives Town 2-2 Halifax Town

La Liga

Ligue Un

Caldas 0-5 Benfica (20:45)
Anadia 0-4 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

• Paid Members
Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 1-3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

South Shields 1-2 Scunthorpe United

La Liga

Ligue Un
Paris St Germain 3-0 Olympique de Marseille (Sunday 19:45)

Anadia 1-3 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

• Paid Members
Week 11 fixtures

Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-0 Nottingham Forest

Liverpool 1-5 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

South Shields 1-0 Scunthorpe United

La Liga
Real Madrid 5-1 Barcelona (Sunday 15:15)

Ligue Un
Paris St Germain 3-0 Olympique de Marseille (Sunday 19:45)

Anadia 0-3 Porto (Sunday 20:45)

The final scores went into the opening post on Sunday night as usual, and the table has been updated since then. We're back to a full compliment of 10 players, including Nicko moving off of last place ahead of Vegeta. No change in the gap between the top two, but both Dads made it into double figures and thus climb the standings, with Shy now on 69 points (nice). 

The 'wildcard' fixture was match #1, Wolves v Forest, for which only Stinky got the exact score, meaning he gets to keep the bonus points all to himself this week. In our sole other featured EPL game, a home victory for Liverpool somehow caught everybody out.

Elsewhere, wins for Halifax, Real Madrid and PSG – spot the odd one out among those 3 clubs – proved fruitful, whilst emphatic victories for The Daggers and Porto were generally good for one-pointers. A genuine upset in Portugal and another only being avoided on penalties caused two dud outcomes. I'd actually heard of Varzim at least, so I backed them to score but didn't think they'd really have it in them to progress in the competition. They used to play in the top flight but are currently slumming it in the third tier.

The "shock" closer to home wasn't really much of a surprise at all. South Shields are upwardly mobile, whereas Scunny in recent years have very much not been. A few people guessed that right beforehand, a lot still didn't. 

A new card, including the return of D2Ds, will be going live at the top of the thread soon.

===

On the Fantasy League front, I was again above average and just outside the top half million players for the week, but it still wasn't a game-changingly massive score. I picked Lloris over Pope but they both got 6 points anyway, and nobody else I left on the bench bagged more than 3. Disappointing round for Cancelo, Coady, Jesus and my entire midfield though, so I'm glad I only made Son my vice-captain.

I gave the armband to Jonny for some reason, and his 6 points doubled up neatly to 12. I'd have scored the same if I'd handed it to White, but captaining any of Schär, Toney or Kane would've seen me do even better. All of that left me on 64 points for the matchday and 538 overall, a smidge inside the global top half but still lower than where I'd like to be. I went up in all but 2 of my leagues and was static in the rest. Unfortunately one of those leagues is a UKFF affair where I remain second from bottom.

The EPL site actually recommended using the first Wildcard next week, but as I said, I'd sort of backed myself into a corner selection-wise and felt compelled to play that chip ahead of the current round that began tonight. I've ditched the slight underperformer Conor Coady but also been ruthless with Toney, Pope, Son (to free up some budget) and – for the sake of not having too many Arsenal players this time – Jesus and White too. 

As replacements, I've brought in Sánchez, Trippier, Dier, Zaha, Mitrović and with an eye on future gameweeks, Haaland as well. So with 2 City players and one still there from Arsenal, that's maximum risk in terms of outfielders... and of course, Jonny hasn't played tonight at Palace so with no-one to sub in for him, that's a big far zero already. Zaha and Sánchez already paid dividends mind, with a goal and clean sheet respectively tonight. Two Brighton midfielders brought me 5 points between them too. I've captained Mitrović so we'll see how that works out on Thursday night.