UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

Well well well, quite the double whammy has hit us since I innocently put up another set of 10 yesterday morning. First off, it seems Brighton might have an interim manager in charge for the D2D game as things have moved quickly at Chelsea after the loss in Zagreb on Tuesday night.

Then this afternoon we've been confronted with the prospect of a long period of official mourning about to begin. Do domestic matches still happen under those circumstances (and in this mad season, when the heck else do they play them)? At least it looks like the French games will definitely go ahead, so make the most of your guesses there.

Premier League

Bournemouth w/Vegeta 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion 
Leicester City 1-2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 3-1 Wolves
Southampton 2-2 Brentford
Manchester City 2-0 Spurs
Arsenal 3-0 Everton 
West Ham United 0-1 Newcastle United 
Crystal Palace 2-1 Manchester United 

Ligue 1
Marseille 1-0 Lille 
Monaco 0-0 Lyon

• Paid Members

Bournemouth w/Vegeta 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion 
Leicester City 1-2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 3-1 Wolves
Southampton 2-1 Brentford
Manchester City 3-0 Spurs
Arsenal 2-0 Everton 
West Ham United 1-1 Newcastle United 
Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United 

Ligue 1
Marseille 2-0 Lille 
Monaco 2-1 Lyon

The opening post has been amended to reflect the fact that all British senior football has been postponed this weekend. It is a longstanding UKFF policy that picks for rearranged games are considered null and void unless those matches are completed within a few days of the original date. I've never had any complaints about that either, so we're proceeding on the basis that everyone is fine with that.

Given that the next midweek has another full set of fixtures in UEFA competitions, and that the mourning period will continue in that time, it's safe to assume that they will be played much later in the season. Vegeta's D2D will be rearranged, and somebody else's D2D I'd planned will have to be bumped to a later date because of that too.

This one is still going to go in the record books as Week 6, however, so please do still make picks for the two French matches as Rory has just done. Looks like it's going to be another low-scoring round after all. 

===

On the Fantasy League side of things, I'm not in charge, so I'm just going by what I can glean from this statement. They are also still treating this weekend as a matchweek, meaning everybody will score zero points. Whenever the games are eventually played, it will presumably be a double round. 

If you've got 2 free transfers spare then make sure to use up at least one of them, else it's gone by the wayside. If you've got any chips active, remember to cancel them by 11am tomorrow in case it doesn't happen automatically. Lastly, if you're in any head-to-head leagues then try not to incur a minus score by making too many transfers.

And that's that for the moment. I'll be back with a brief write-up on Sunday night as usual, and in the meantime am keeping an eye on what exactly is going to happen with domestic fixtures originally scheduled for what is now the day of the funeral.

• Paid Members

Ligue Un
Olympique de Marseille 2-0 Lille (20:00)
Monaco 2-0 Olympique Lyonnais (Sunday 19:45)

Interesting turn of events from an FPL perspective, some useful tips there Foggy. Dare I say if next weekend’s games are cancelled as well it might even by Wildcard time already. I was going to wait until the international break but in theory that might have just come early. 

8 hours ago, ultimo the great said:

Just guessing 2 results seems a bit pointless can't we just have a double week when the peasants are allowed to watch football again?

You and Shy Dad have indeed been left pointless this week, but it's early enough in the season where only a small number of points scored can cause big shifts in the table, so it's still worth doing even though UK football decided to shit the bed on Friday.

Current plan is for a double round only at Easter, plus one mid-season bumper round and another one on the final day as usual. Since you mention it though, I was already thinking before all this kicked off that we could perhaps do with more flexibility on that front.

Some weeks it's tough to piece together 10 decent fixtures, but a lot of the time there are some cracking matches that get left off undeservedly because we're limited to 10 (or effectively 9 when somebody's chosen a pisstake D2D team). I didn't wanna change the rules once the campaign's already started, but now you've said that, I'll consider it.

Anyway, we have a new leader in MVP RULZ, Stinky has moved comfortably into the top half and Vegeta has slipped back below Rory into last place. I hesitated over whether or not to do the wildcard fixture, but went for it in the end and came up with game #1, Marseille v Lille. The bonus points from that are what made the difference for joint top scorer Stinky and Rory, who equal last week's best performance score of 5 points.

Proper round-up including a full link to the table coming Tuesday night, by which time hopefully things are a bit clearer in terms of what's on and what's not next weekend. Since there won't be much else to talk about, I'll explain a bit more about the FPL Cup format then too. 

18 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

Some weeks it's tough to piece together 10 decent fixtures, but a lot of the time there are some cracking matches that get left off undeservedly because we're limited to 10 (or effectively 9 when somebody's chosen a pisstake D2D team). I didn't wanna change the rules once the campaign's already started, but now you've said that, I'll consider it.

Anyway, we have a new leader in MVP RULZ, Stinky has moved comfortably into the top half and Vegeta has slipped back below Rory into last place. I hesitated over whether or not to do the wildcard fixture, but went for it in the end and came up with game #1, Marseille v Lille. The bonus points from that are what made the difference for joint top scorer Stinky and Rory, who equal last week's best performance score of 5 points.

Can't think of anyone who would choose a diddy team for a D2D fixture....

Also, top scorer?!?!? Can we just scrap picking EPL crap and focus on Ligue Un etc every week?

On 9/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, RoryFice said:

Also, top scorer?!?!? Can we just scrap picking EPL crap and focus on Ligue Un etc every week?

Ha, nice try. As I said, you were only joint top scorer with Stinky Dad and I doubt you'd do that well if every card was just full of French games. For this week, though, it's a case of thank goodness for la République across the water. 

Anyway, apologies for lateness. Not feeling great and the laptop I make the update from has been extra chronically slow today. Here's the table update as promised. Defending champion MVP RULZ has taken the lead again after drawing level on points with me. The tie-breakers, before we start relying on alphabetical order, are most exact scores and then fewest points accrued from bonuses. The average score was just 0.7 lower with 2 games and no D2D than it was the previous time with 10 games and a D2D. 

Of the people who scored zero, one put his guesses in a format that would be very confusing if somebody were to do it with a full card, whilst the other picked late. Not much to say about the matches other than that they both had the same scoreline, with a narrow home win for Marseille proving easier to foresee than a reverse on the road for Lyon.

=== 

On the Fantasy League side of things, make sure not to have too many players from Brighton, Palace, Man U, Leeds, Chelsea or Liverpool as they all definitely don't have a game this weekend anymore. Like Nicko pointed out, it might be time for the Free Hit or first Wildcard if you haven't used it up already.

For those of us who usually 'backload' their chips as much as possible, keep in mind that the first Wildcard needs to be used up before the World Cup starts else it's lost forever, so this round might be as good a time as any.

===

Back to the Predictions League, here are the fixtures for the opening round of FPL Cup matches. I'll put them into the opening post in a week's time: 

GROUP A        
RoryFice v Fatty Facesitter
Stinky Dad v TildeGuy~!

GROUP B        
MVP RULZ v Fog Dude
seph v Shy Dad

Cross-pool play        
ultimo the great v Vegeta

The 'cross-pool' clash is an idea borrowed from some rugby union tournaments and also American football (although I'm assured the out-of-division NFL games aren't actually assigned at random) that helps to keep things interesting. We haven't been able to do it fairly in a 3x3 group format these past couple of seasons, so I'm glad we're up to a complement of 10 players again now.

There won't be much jeopardy or tension in the group stage, as after 25 matches only 2 people will be eliminated. Then in the spring the Cup competition actually becomes the knockout tournament it was meant to be. I don't seem to have pencilled in a date for the final yet, but it'll probably be Week 41 or 42, currently scheduled for the Women's Cup and FA Trophy finals respectively, so long as English football doesn't burned itself with too many more postponements between now and then. 

Remember, you don't need to predict who'll win any of the above clashes. Just make your picks for the actual football matches as usual, and figuring out the FPL Cup scores is simply extra work for me. Right, that'll do. A much-changed set of 10 will go up in the opening post soon. I'll explain my reasoning for the alterations there.

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 1-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

FA Challenge Cup qualifying
Coalville Town 1-2 Macclesfield
Darlington 2-1 Southport
Lancaster City 1-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 1-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 1-2 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 2-1 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 1-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 2-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

• Paid Members

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 1-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Coalville Town 0-3 Macclesfield
Darlington 2-0 Southport
Lancaster City 0-1 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 0-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 1-3 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 1-2 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 2-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 2-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

• Paid Members

Never going to get one of these sodding results correct am I!

Week 7 fixtures

Premier League
Newcastle United 2-0 Bournemouth w/Vegeta
Everton 0-0 West Ham United (Sunday 14:15)

Coalville Town 0-3 Macclesfield
Darlington 1-0 Southport
Lancaster City 1-2 Bury

Scottish Cup Round 1
Formartine United 0-2 East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow Rose 0-2 Berwick Rangers

La Liga
Villarreal 1-1 Sevilla (Sunday 15:15)
Atlético Madrid 4-4 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Eredivisie
PSV 1-0 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)