UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

It's the UKFF official Fantasy Premier League and Football Predictions League thread – a single-season largely failed experiment aiming to provide two threads' worth of discussion for the price of one! The ill-advised mid-season Men's World Cup may have shut down the former for a while, but the latter continued in full throughout that period. This opening post was edited regularly throughout the year with the latest information.

Sign-ups are long since closed. One person from the last campaign has not return, one has rejoined after a long absence and one participated for the first time but didn't last. Ten players was a fine number for us to work with for D2Ds and the FPL Cup. Even if you're not playing the predictions game, these links should take you to the forum's two mini-leagues for the Fantasy League competition, as long as you're logged into the EPL official site or app when you click on them.

There's no big rules blurb this year, but some small bits of housekeeping were detailed in this post. This line also included the latest table updates here across the season.

===

Week 44 results 

UEFA Women's Champions League Final

Barcelona 3-2 Wolfsburg (in Eindhoven)

FA Challenge Cup Final Tie
Manchester City 2-1 Manchester United (at Wembley Stadium)

Scottish Cup Final
Celtic 3-1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle (at Hampden Park)

German Cup Final
Eintracht Frankfurt 0-2 RB Leipzig (in Berlin)

La Liga
Villarreal 2-2 Atlético Madrid 
Celta Vigo 2-1 Barcelona 

Serie A
Torino 0-1 Internazionale 
Empoli 0-2 Lazio 
Udinese 0-1 Juventus 

Ligue Un 

Auxerre 1-3 Lens 
Monaco 1-2 Toulouse
Nice 3-1 Olympique Lyonnais
Stade de Reims 1-3 Montpellier

Portuguese Cup Final
Porto 2-0 Sporting Braga (in Oeiras)

Italian Women's Cup Final
Juventus 1-0 Roma (in Salerno)

Série A
Vasco da Gama 1-4 Flamengo 

Major League Soccer
Seattle Sounders 0-0 Portland Timbers 
Colorado Rapids 0-0 San José Earthquakes 

===

FPL Cup winner: Vegeta

Edited by Fog Dude

• Paid Members

Premier League

Bournemouth 2-1 Aston Villa
Leeds United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Newcastle United 1-2 Nottingham Forest
Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Southampton
Everton 0-3 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 2-2 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 0-4 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 3-2 Hertha Berlin (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30)

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-2 Aston Villa
Leeds United 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Newcastle United 2-1 Nottingham Forest
Everton 0-1 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 1-1 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 1-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-1 Hertha Berlin (14:30)

• Fog Dude changed the title to UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Big news – on the suggestion of a potential new participant, I've amended the title and opening post to try to incorporate Fantasy League discussion as well as the Predictions League competition. This may or may not turn out to be a terrible idea, but I think it's worth a try.

I'd advise anybody who's planning to join in to make their picks by 2:30pm on Saturday (when the Berlin derby kicks off) so that they don't miss out on potential points. You're allowed to sign up until the end of the month, but for any weekend you don't play, you get zero points, so get your predictions in now and worry about getting registered properly later.

Anyway, here are my own guesses for Round One of many:

Premier League

Bournemouth 0-3 Aston Villa
Leeds United 2-1 Wolves
Newcastle United 3-1 Nottingham Forest
Spurs 2-0 Southampton
Everton 1-2 Chelsea 
Leicester City 1-1 Brentford 
Manchester United 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion 
West Ham United 0-1 Manchester City 

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-0 Hertha Berlin 
Borussia Dortmund 3-2 Bayer Leverkusen

Premier League

Bournemouth 2-0 Aston Villa
Leeds United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Newcastle United 1-1Nottingham Forest
Everton 0-2 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 2-1 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 0-3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0-2 Hertha Berlin (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST.

Premier League

Bournemouth 1-1 Aston Villa
Leeds United 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest
Everton 0-1 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 1-1 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 1-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1-0 Hertha Berlin (14:30)

Count me inneth again for another season of mediocrity and cup glory. Will forward my D2D picks once I've consulted my atlas.

Premier League

Leeds United 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Newcastle United 1-0 Nottingham Forest
Everton 1-2 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 2-0 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 5-0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 2-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 0-0 Hertha Berlin (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 1-1 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30)

• Paid Members

Two threads for the price of one, lovely stuff. Foggy and I have been PM'ing and it made sense to combine them. Let battle commence. 

fpl-logo.jpeg.a7d014453660b67728d92af97e581fa5.jpeg

In case you missed it, here's the code for the new UKFF mini-league - we can't work out who the admin is for the old one, but feel free to play in both. Reminder, winner in the one I've set up wins a free Chippy Tea on me. And if I win...well, I'll be treating myself, won't I?

League code: 399c63

I was pretty set on my GW1 draft until checking some of the press conferences today - Spurs' Perisic was in my previous draft, but Conte hinted that he still needs to build up his fitness and may not start. Also Everton announced Calvert-Lewin is out with more injury woes - he wasn't in my team but it's another hammer blow for the Toffees and I think Chelsea could absolutely stuff them at Goodison, so I'm potentially going to double up with Reece James and Mason Mount. 

I've plumped for Kane over Haaland as it stands. Spurs have been turned into cyborgs by Conte's strict pre-season regime and Kane should have a much stronger start to this term - his failed move to Man City last summer combined with being absolutely shagged from the cramped schedule and Euros meant that it took him ages to get going - but he looks like he's back to his old happy-go-lucky self. Haaland, by contrast, shit the bed in the Community Shield and I think it'll take him a month or so to find his feet before I switch them out - though I do expect Haaland to boss it once he finds his rhythm. 

First two locks for me were Salah and Trent. Both of them pissed it in the Community Shield and I think Fulham are in for a rude awakening on their Premier League return. I'm very tempted to triple up them, possibly squeezing in Robertson or even going for big Virgil, though the latter won't yield as many attacking returns on paper. 

Last season I finished on what I thought was a respectable 2200 points - in what's hopefully a non-Covid ravaged season and with the tantilising unliminted transfer slot durinng the World Cup, I think I can improve on that significantly. 

Now, predictions for Foggy - 

Premier League
Newcastle United 3-0 Nottingham Forest
Tottenham Hotspur 4-0 Southampton
Everton 0-4 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 0-2 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 3-0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 2-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 2-2 Hertha Berlin (14:30)

Some tough calls on the opening weekend with some of the big boys playing away from home and the potential for some rogue results. However I think Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea respectively have a great chance to score heavily against weaker teams.

Newcastle I think will continue to improve this season and upset the apple cart - Forest will find that a tough opening day fixture. Everton are absolutely all over the place - they've had a terrible pre-season by losing players like Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin getting injured again and some crap results. Chelsea will batter them if they don't get their shit together. 

Going for a four-goal Berlin derby day thriller with the spoils shared, and Dortmund to best Leverkusen as the post-Haaland era commences. 

Great to have you on board, @Fatty Facesitter

I'm already not sure what the thinking was behind my Fantasy League team that I selected two weeks ago, but I almost ended up with Kasper Schmeichel in my squad, and he's of course in Ligue 1 now. I've made sure my squad costs dead on the £100m budget having lapsed a little on that front in recent campaigns. I generally look for players that all got plenty of minutes last season, because rotation by real-life managers and first XI players getting less than 60 minutes of action and therefore scoring only 1 point have been a scourge of recent years. 

I backloaded as many chips as I possibly could last time, so I came into form right at the end of the season. And since my mini-leagues' automated Cup competitions tended to start in Week 34 or 35 and I was scoring like mad in those last few rounds, I ended up winning two of them outright. In the main game I just about scraped over the 2,000 point mark on the final day, so I'm hoping to do a little better this time. Good luck, everyone, and enjoy the season! 

Premier League
Bournemouth 1-2 Aston Villa
Newcastle United 3-1 Nottingham Forest
Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 Southampton
Everton 0-2 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 2-2 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 1-1 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 2-1 Hertha Berlin (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30)

Premier League

Bournemouth 1 v 1 Aston Villa
Leeds United 1 v 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Newcastle United 0 v 1 Nottingham Forest
Tottenham Hotspur 2 v 0 Southampton
Everton 0;v 2 Chelsea (17:30)
Leicester City 0 v 1 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)
Manchester United 1 v 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
West Ham United 1 v 1 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga
Union Berlin 1 v 2 Hertha Berlin (14:30)
Borussia Dortmund 2 v 0 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30)

• Paid Members

Premier League

Bournemouth 0 v 1 Aston Villa

Leeds United 1 v 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Newcastle United 0 v 0 Nottingham Forest

Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 0 Southampton

Everton 0 v 3 Chelsea (17:30)

Leicester City 0 v 1 Brentford (Sunday 14:00)

Manchester United 0 v 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)

West Ham United 1 v 3 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

German Bundesliga

Union Berlin 1 v 1 Hertha Berlin (14:30)

Borussia Dortmund 1 v 0 Bayer Leverkusen (17:30) 

• Paid Members

Off to a flying start in the predictions league - not a single score guessed correctly in my case. Pathetic. The game's gone.  

FPL GW1
918763752_Screenshot2022-08-07at20_01_07.thumb.png.50dc9b1e93fcf0bd2f8c8e48e4e86363.png

Raya
Brought him in for Ramsdale before the deadline to free up some cash (poor strategy) - no clean sheet but did at least pick up an additional point for multiple saves and may yet yield another bonus point once those come in. Coming straight out for GW2 for Ramsdale - Raya though remains a decent budget option and I can see him being a big asset for Brentford in their fight for survival. 

Trent AA
A blank from my Liverpool defenders this week but he still kept bombing forward and played a massive part in Salah's equaliser. Still going to finish up with a ridiculous amount of points. 

Robertson
Similar story to Trent - kept getting forward and kept threatening despite not yielding any returns. Still going to keep Trent/Robbo in tow for their home game against Palace. 

Trippier
Clean sheet and a bonus point to cap off a very good display - excellent value for £5.0m squid. Newcastle look 'on it' under Howe. 

Cancelo
Saved my GW1 from being a total car crash. Clean sheet and two bonus points for his efforts. Could have done without the yellow card, but this guy is as essential in one's starting XI as Haaland - should also be safe from the dreaded 'Pep Roulette.'

Martinelli 
Swapped him in over Saka right before the deadline - may yet need to swap them back out but he looked very good indeed against Palace. Scored one, close to getting another. Bargain at £6.0m

Salah
Gutted I didn't stick the armband on him - big mistake with Harry Kane firing blanks. Had some quieter spells against Fulham but he's so quick and sharp he can hurt you at any time. Still the best player in the Prem - maybe even world football at the moment. 

Almiron
Was hoping he'd be a key differential for me off the back of an excellent pre-season - didn't quite pan out but three points isn't the worst return and he still threatened on a few occasions. Might be switched to my bench next week - TBC. Still a viable squad option if Newcastle keep performing as they did against Forest. 

Mount
Shouldn't have picked him - rarely threatened against a piss-weak Everton side. If he doesn't show up in GW2 I'll be binning him off. 

Jesus
A strange one - didn't yield any points but thought he looked excellent in the first half. He's going to destroy weak defences this season. Keeping him - could rip Leicester apart next week. 

Kane
Should have known better than to select him at all in August, not to mention sticking the armband on him. Also, a rare glitch in the matrix - that was the first time in 15 occasions where Spurs have won without Kane OR Son scoring. He still have chances and Son had an opportunity to assist him in the first half (he hogged it and blasted over the bar instead. Twat). Biggest disappointment of the weekend. Upstaged by Haaland. Prick. 

Bench
Ward is only there for the cheapness. Archer signed a new deal for Villa so worth keeping around as another cheap option. Pereria looked decent against Liverpool and is on set pieces - might start him next week. Williams had some bright spots for Forest but you can already tell they are too soft at the back, so not sure how many points he'll amass. 

Overall
I can live with 50 points for GW1 - there were always going to be some surprises in the opening week with some of the big teams playing away from home. The biggest choice pre-deadline was Kane vs Haaland, and then Kane vs Salah for the captaincy. Neither of those calls worked in my favour this time, but I saw enough from other players who blanked to know that my team is in good shape. I'm hoping for a big points haul in GW2 with Salah, Haaland and Jesus in particular all having favourable home fixtures. 

Have already transferred Raya for Ramsdale and Kane for Haaland and taken a -4 hit, but I'm confident that the returns next week will more than make up for it. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Already gone for a -4 on my FPL team. Had a hand hovering over the Wildcard but decided against it this time. Haaland did the business but there's Zinchenko, sitting there on the bench with his +12 while Perisic made his inevitable short cameo to deny my substitution :(