UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

Premier League

Newcastle United 0-2 Chelsea (17:30)

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-3 Arsenal (19:45)

Fulham 0-2 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Championship

Bristol City w/seph 0-1 Watford 

FA Women's Cup First Round (Sunday)

Doncaster Belles 0-2 Huddersfield Town (13:00)

Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers (13:00)

Tranmere Rovers 0-2 Burnley (13:00)

Millwall Lionesses 2-1 Gillingham (14:00)

Spanish Cup Round 1 proper

Guijuelo 0-2 Deportivo La Coruña (16:00)

Almazán 0-2 Atlético Madrid (21:00)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, Fatty Facesitter said:

Finished with 77 points last week in the end with a bench boost. Would have been more had Newcastle held on for the clean sheet against Southampton because I had Pope and Botman in m squad as well - luckily Trippier had been subbed just beforehand and kept his clean sheet and bonus points. Up to 4th in the Chippy Tea mini-league and up to 1.2million in the overall standings. Only one week to go until the unlimited transfers for the World Cup come into play. 

Any reason for using Bench Boost this early on a random weekend? I really think patience pays off when it comes to making the most of the Chips. Also, what's this about unlimited transfers?!? 

I've swapped out Robert Sánchez for Dean Henderson anyway, just for the sake of making a change this week. Schär, Saliba and (in a bit of a risk) Mitrović are all restored to the starting line-up in place of Castagne, Martinelli and Zaha. And yes, I'm aware two of those are actually on form at the moment but I'm basing it on how tough their fixtures are. Does this mean my formation's now a more attacking 4-3-3? Yes it does, Garth. Haaland is captained as it's his last chance to impress for a while, whilst Trippier, fresh from being named in a World Cup squad again, gets the nod as vice-captain. 

===

In the first bit of housekeeping for next season – the EPL announced this week that the 2023-24 campaign will begin on the 11th or 12th of August and end on the 19th of May. That will give us an opportunity for slightly shorter Predictions and Fantasy League terms than the current one, and a brief return to relative normality before the new "Champions" League format comes into force in 2024-25. There's a split round in January (5 matches one weekend, the other 5 the next) but we'll treat those as normal because Winter Breaks are silly and ought to be done either properly or not at all. There should be 2 fewer Prediction rounds than this season too, with Easter once again the only Double week. 

As for the D2D, since we now know Seph has gone for a cowardly bet of a draw – albeit understandable after Tuesday night – I'm going to curse us with a bit of pre-break optimism as part of my picks: 

Premier League

Newcastle United 3-0 Chelsea 
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-3 Arsenal 
Fulham 2-1 Manchester United 

Championship
Bristol City w/out seph 2-0 Watford 

Women's FA Cup First Round proper
Doncaster Belles 1-0 Huddersfield Town 
Shrewsbury Town 1-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 
Tranmere Rovers 2-3 Burnley 
Millwall Lionesses 0-2 Gillingham 

Spanish Cup Round of... 112?
Guijuelo 1-3 Deportivo La Coruña 
Almazán 0-1 Atlético Madrid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

Any reason for using Bench Boost this early on a random weekend? I really think patience pays off when it comes to making the most of the Chips. Also, what's this about unlimited transfers?!? 

We get unlimited transfers during the World Cup break - effectively a second wildcard chip. This will allow us to make changes right up to Boxing Day when the league resumes and covers us in the event of any injuries. Absolute touch. 

I've blown all of my chips now - you're absolutely right that patient pays off with them and I've learned the hard way. But I'm a petulant child and I saw nothing but green arrows in my eyes for the short term...I don't think a single one of the chips has really worked out for me, sadly. But I wasn't too fussed about Bench Boost - it's a bit of a shit chip so I wasn't bothered about blowing it early. 

Premier League

Newcastle United 1-1 Chelsea 
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Arsenal 
Fulham 2-2 Manchester United 

Championship
Bristol City w/out seph 2-1 Watford 

Women's FA Cup First Round proper
Doncaster Belles 1-0 Huddersfield Town 
Shrewsbury Town 1-3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 
Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Burnley 
Millwall Lionesses 2-1 Gillingham 

Spanish Cup Round of... 112?
Guijuelo 1-2 Deportivo La Coruña 
Almazán 0-4 Atlético Madrid

Week 15 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-1 Chelsea (17:30)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Arsenal (19:45)
Fulham 1-3 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Championship
Bristol City w/seph 0-2 Watford 

FA Women's Cup First Round (Sunday)
Doncaster Belles 2-0 Huddersfield Town (13:00)
Shrewsbury Town 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers (13:00)

Guijuelo 1-2 Deportivo La Coruña (16:00)
Almazán 0-2 Atlético Madrid (21:00)

Week 15 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 1-1 Chelsea (17:30)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Arsenal (19:45)
Fulham 0-0 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Championship
Bristol City w/seph 2-1 Watford 

FA Women's Cup First Round (Sunday)
Shrewsbury Town 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers (13:00)

Guijuelo 0-3 Deportivo La Coruña (16:00)
Almazán 0-3 Atlético Madrid (21:00)

• Paid Members

Week 15 fixtures

Premier League

Newcastle United 2-1 Chelsea (17:30)

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-3 Arsenal (19:45)

Fulham 1-0 Manchester United (Sunday 16:30)

Championship

Bristol City w/seph 0-2 Watford 

FA Women's Cup First Round (Sunday)

Shrewsbury Town 0-3 Wolverhampton Wanderers (13:00)

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Burnley (13:00)

Guijuelo 0-2 Deportivo La Coruña (16:00)

Almazán 0-5 Atlético Madrid (21:00)

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2022 at 8:07 PM, Fog Dude said:

As for the D2D, since we now know Seph has gone for a cowardly bet of a draw

And it worked because I was the only one who called it 🤣

On 11/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

We get unlimited transfers during the World Cup break - effectively a second wildcard chip. This will allow us to make changes right up to Boxing Day when the league resumes and covers us in the event of any injuries. Absolute touch. 

I've blown all of my chips now - you're absolutely right that patient pays off with them and I've learned the hard way. But I'm a petulant child and I saw nothing but green arrows in my eyes for the short term...I don't think a single one of the chips has really worked out for me, sadly. But I wasn't too fussed about Bench Boost - it's a bit of a shit chip so I wasn't bothered about blowing it early. 

Ah, well that first bit of news is good to know! Will definitely be making use of that once Boxing Day is approaching. 

I agree that Bench Boost is a bit rubbish. I think it's only survived because they want there to be 3 of them and it's better than All-Out Attack and whatever the other old Chip used to be. That said, with a whole matchday having been wiped out in September then it might we worth holding onto this season if those games are all played in the same midweek. If they end up scattered across various random dates then in that case, you were probably right to throw it away nice and early.

But yeah, green arrows can be a tempting dopamine hit. I saw a bit of red partway through the latest gameweek but then recovered to go up in all my private leagues except one – and wouldn't you just know it, the exception was the Chippy Tea League. I'm on 57 points, above average again, among the top 1.4m players for the week, into the top 30% globally and with 832 points overall heading into the World Cup break. Would love to have hit a cool thousand by now but it never really looked on the cards.

Anyway, as expected, Fulham's Serbian star didn't play, so I got Martinelli's 6 points from the bench instead. I was right to leave Zaha out considering his missed penalty, but I should've started on-form East Midlands duo Henderson and Castaigne on a half dozen each, ahead of Lloris and Cancelo who both finished with a point apiece. Haaland was no good as the captaincy pick. My vice-captain Tripper got 7 alongside his fellow Newcastle defender Schär

Mac Allister with 9 points or Kane on 11 would've been even wiser choices as captain, whilst Saliba and Almirón were again solid on 6 points... but Groß could also only muster a single point. It's not hard to figure out which teams will welcome the long pause and which ones will be frustrated at the loss of momentum. 

That's the last you'll hear of the Fantasy League from me for a good while. Big Predictions League update coming later tonight... 

The results went into the opening post on Sunday night, and the table was updated soon afterwards. I've left in the FPL Cup Group Stage from September too, as a reminder of how things stand heading into the next few weeks of fixtures in that competition. Scoring looks higher this time out, but in truth it's augmented by Seph's successful bet that he's already gloated about in here. He was obviously top scorer, but ultimo would've been the best performer without those bonus points, and the only participant into double figures and with more than one exact scoreline right.

Nonetheless, because of the D2D, he actually drops to third place. MVP RULZ remains ahead not just on alphabetical order, but because slightly fewer points of his derive from bonuses. In a normal season, if it finished like that I'd probably invite the top two back for a Mastermind-style five-match play-off... but this is already set to be the longest continual season ever (2019-20 finished later but had a 3-month gap in the middle), so I'd probably accept that as a winning margin. 

Vegeta moves off the bottom at the expense of Nicko, and he also leapfrogs Rory in the process. Shy Dad was lowest scorer but has enough of a cushion to stay firmly inside the top half. Still a bit of a comedown from where he was just a few weeks ago, mind.

The 'wildcard' match was the draw in the Women's FA Cup, so there were no extra bonuses awarded this week. To give an idea how remarkable it was that Millwall even got that close to an upset, Burnley and Wolves avoided shocks emphatically in outcomes that were generally good for one-pointers, alongside expected wins in the league for Newcastle, Arsenal and Manchester United's male sides. The Belles' failure to cause a surprise caught a few people out.

As was already mentioned, the stalemate at Ashton Gate was only helpful to one participant in particular. Progress for Diego Simeone's embattled Atlético proved fruitful even if it was narrower than people thought beforehand, whilst 'fallen giants' Deportivo showed that they might not be done with falling down El Pozo (the well) just yet. Apparently their first-choice keeper is injured at the moment, but that's no excuse for going down meekly to defeat in an unpronounceable village with a sub-6,000 population in the middle of nowhere. They truly are the Timmy O'Toole of Spanish football. And of course their loss led to a dud for all of us.

===

New card will be up in the first post shortly, but first, you voted at the start of the season that the next 5 rounds should count in full towards the classification, so let's look at what the various leagues have left us with: 

England – everything below the top 2 divisions carries on despite some clubs as low as League Two receiving call-ups, then mercifully the Champ comes back halfway through; 

Scotland – the Premiership is off for 4 of the 5 weeks even though they didn't qualify but everything else continues as normal The 3 o'clock blackout still stands, so if you watch the first half of France v Denmark north of the border, you're technically breaking the law;

Spain – probably the place we'll rely on most for padding out the card with continental games since the Segunda is ploughing on as usual; 

Germany – all the top 3 divisions are now on hold and return on consecutive weekends in January. Brutal, efficient, logical, just as you'd expect from the Germans; 

Italy – Serie B seems to be persisting with fixtures, and like the Scots, they've deigned to bring back the top flight before the end of the tournament by virtue of another hilarious failure to qualify; 

France – some cup ties this weekend but then it's all off until a (rare) "Boxing Day à l'anglaise" round of games. Like the Germans, they re-introduced rubbish promotion/relegation play-offs recently so all the divisions involved have to finish on the same weekend, meaning if Ligue 1 takes a break, so do all the rest;

The Americas – the Copa Libertadores, Brazilian Série A and the USA's MLS somehow all ended about a month earlier than usual to accommodate the World Cup, so no dice there for us; 

Australia – in a fit of pessimism, the A-League is returning on the 9th of December, presumably on the assumption that the Socceroos will be long gone from Qatar by then, so we could always dip Down Under if we get desperate.

So how about internationals and the tournament itself? Only the middle of the group stages really works out in terms of the scheduling, which will mean one 'hybrid' round of 5 World Cup matches and 5 club games. There are some friendlies this weekend, but the Home Nations appear to be sitting them out, so we won't bother including any of those. 

And the bringing forward of the opening ceremony by one day means we can feature that too, so at last, let's crack on!

Week 16 fixtures 

FIFA 2022 World Cup Finals – Group A

Qatar 0-1 Ecuador (Sunday 16:00)

League One
Fleetwood Town 1-2 Bolton Wanderers
Port Vale 1-2 Charlton Athletic
Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Shrewsbury Town

National League
Barnet 2-1 Torquay United
Notts County 2-0 Yeovil Town

Scottish Championship
Dundee 1-0 Hamilton Academical

French Cup Round 8
Thaon-les-Vosges 0-2 Sochaux (16:00)

Segunda División
Real Zaragoza 1-2 Málaga (20:00)
Eibar 1-1 Alavés (Sunday 18:00)

• Paid Members

Bottom of the table? No problem. The only way is up. I'll start with a humping of the host nation in the World Cup opener. I'll take quadruple points if that correct score comes off, please. 

Week 16 fixtures 

Qatar 0-5 Ecuador (Sunday 16:00)

League One
Fleetwood Town 0-1 Bolton Wanderers
Port Vale 1-2 Charlton Athletic
Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Shrewsbury Town

National League
Barnet 3-0 Torquay United
Notts County 4-0 Yeovil Town

Scottish Championship
Dundee 1-1 Hamilton Academical

French Cup Round 8
Thaon-les-Vosges 2-2 Sochaux (16:00)

Segunda División
Real Zaragoza 2-2 Málaga (20:00)
Eibar 2-2 Alavés (Sunday 18:00)

FIFA 2022 World Cup Finals – Group A

Qatar 0 v 4 Ecuador (Sunday 16:00)

League One
Fleetwood Town 1 v 2 Bolton Wanderers
Port Vale 1 v 1 Charlton Athletic
Sheffield Wednesday 1 v 0 Shrewsbury Town

National League
Barnet 1 v 1 Torquay United
Notts County 1 v 0 Yeovil Town

Scottish Championship
Dundee 2 v 1 Hamilton Academical

French Cup Round 8
Thaon-les-Vosges 0 v 2 Sochaux (16:00)

Segunda División
Real Zaragoza 1 v 1 Málaga (20:00)
Eibar 1 v2  Alavés (Sunday 18:00)

Week 16 fixtures 

Qatar 1-2 Ecuador (Sunday 16:00)

League One

Fleetwood Town 0-2 Bolton Wanderers

Port Vale 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Shrewsbury Town

National League

Barnet 1-2 Torquay United

Notts County 2-1 Yeovil Town

Scottish Championship

Dundee 0-2 Hamilton Academical

French Cup Round 8

Thaon-les-Vosges 0-2 Sochaux (16:00)

Segunda División

Real Zaragoza 2-1 Málaga (20:00)

Eibar 1-2 Alavés (Sunday 18:00)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

• Paid Members

Week 16 fixtures 

Qatar 0-3 Ecuador (Sunday 16:00)

League One
Fleetwood Town 1-3 Bolton Wanderers
Port Vale 0-2 Charlton Athletic
Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Shrewsbury Town

National League
Barnet 2-0 Torquay United
Notts County 2-1 Yeovil Town

Scottish Championship