Depp v. Heard

neil

• Paid Members

From what I can tell amid much nonsense is both sort of won thier claims of defamation but Depp won more compo so he's being declared winner on aggregate by people and both of them are right unpleasant nobs. 

Is that a fair assessment of the outcome? 

12 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

From what I can tell amid much nonsense is both sort of won thier claims of defamation but Depp won more compo so he's being declared winner on aggregate by people and both of them are right unpleasant nobs. 

Not quite. They found Amber Heard to have lied completely and said she maliciously lied about everything and they found Depp’s lawyer made one defamatory statement in response.

It’s a big victory for Depp.

What’s interesting is a lot of legal folks are saying the reason he’s won, and lost in the UK, is the fact that it was in front of a jury rather than a judge. In the UK, it came down to an emotionless arbiter looking at evidence; in the US it came down to who could more emotionally move an audience of non-experts.

I haven’t paid too much attention to the trial as a whole, as it was just so depressing and gross. They both seem like they have a load of issues they need to sort out in private.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

26 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

haven’t paid too much attention to the trial as a whole, as it was just so depressing and gross. They both seem like they have a load of issues they need to sort out in private.

That's ultimately why he won I think. 

12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The worst thing about this case being over is that they can go back to acting now.

Can she though? 

I'm sure Heard will get work here and there, but you have to think the trial - and the verdict - have been very damaging for her. Can't imagine too many major studios casting her in a big role given public perception of her at the minute. 

As for Depp, he clearly has plenty of issues but his fanbase have always been there and he might start getting big parts again. 

As an aside, I found it funny that Depp was in Newcastle's Bridge Tavern just moments before the fucking verdict was read. 

We're a massive club, etc...

I'm sure there'll be some movie execs keen to cash in the surge of support for Johnny D following this car crash of an event. However, let's understand that said movie execs would have been keen to cash in on Amber if she'd come out of this as the "winner."

All about the green stuff for those types. And I don't mean marijuana. They tend to win no matter what.

8 minutes ago, David said:

I'm sure there'll be some movie execs keen to cash in the surge of support for Johnny D following this car crash of an event. However, let's understand that said movie execs would have been keen to cash in on Amber if she'd come out of this as the "winner."

All about the green stuff for those types. And I don't mean marijuana. They tend to win no matter what.

Not necessarily. Depp was a pariah to major studios because of his behaviour and actions on set long before this trial. Plus his star has been on the wane for years. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

This is the one statement that was found deformative. 
image.thumb.png.20d70f7f0365d5fd44062bb6fc4707bf.png

The case was gross. The difference in the UK trial v US is most of the evidence brought up here was refused to go before the judge. Also the fact she was donating the winnings of the divorce to charity were factored in by the judge as well. It turned out through the US trial that though she got the money, only a few hundred thousand was donated, most via Elon Musk. She claimed she pledge to pay it which was the same as donating which obviously is false. Also there was a lack of evidence of her accusations of violence. No medical reports, no police reports of any violence except the end of the marriage and her photos also had all metadata removed. 

It’s Hollywood. Depp will get more work, so will Heard albeit in lower more independent films. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I'm sure Heard will get work here and there, but you have to think the trial - and the verdict - have been very damaging for her. Can't imagine too many major studios casting her in a big role given public perception of her at the minute. 

Hollywood routinely hires actual nonces and racists on a regular basis, I'm sure Amber Heard can find something to do. Maybe she'll go the Bruce Willis / Mel Gibson route and turn up for one day's work in every low budget action film going.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hollywood routinely hires actual nonces and racists on a regular basis, I'm sure Amber Heard can find something to do. Maybe she'll go the Bruce Willis / Mel Gibson route and turn up for one day's work in every low budget action film going.

This is true. I reckon she might end up doing more work as an 'activist' than in films going forward. 

Either way, fuck 'em both eh?

23 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Pretty sure I read that he's back in court soon for being abusive on set towards people. 

He is. This time the wifebeater hit a location manager, Greg Rocky Brooks, twice. 

I genuinely worry for Heards wellbeing. I know the state of Virginia caps the damages at something like $350k but she probably can’t afford to appeal the verdict like Depp did in London. It really does show how her OpEd is more true now than ever. But I do worry, There is a mix of both Depp fans and Heard haters will be relentless attacking her. For fucks sake they even went after Depps daughter for deleting a six year old post about her dad and all other references towards him, and lambasted her for not showing enough public support for their violent abusive addict hero. 

I hope she gets the support she needs. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

He is. This time the wifebeater hit a location manager, Greg Rocky Brooks, twice. 

I genuinely worry for Heards wellbeing. I know the state of Virginia caps the damages at something like $350k but she probably can’t afford to appeal the verdict like Depp did in London. It really does show how her OpEd is more true now than ever. But I do worry, There is a mix of both Depp fans and Heard haters will be relentless attacking her. For fucks sake they even went after Depps daughter for deleting a six year old post about her dad and all other references towards him, and lambasted her for not showing enough public support for their violent abusive addict hero. 

I hope she gets the support she needs. 

If you think the OpEd is more true now a jury found it defamatory I don’t know what to say. 

I wasn’t a Heard hater, I had no opinion going in, but he’s said vile things and she’s made a load of accusations full of missing details. Neither has “won”

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If you think the OpEd is more true now a jury found it defamatory I don’t know what to say. 

I wasn’t a Heard hater, I had no opinion going in, but he’s said vile things and she’s made a load of accusations full of missing details. Neither has “won”

Yeah, fuck knows why a piece about how wealthy powerful men can silence the people they abuse and the culture surrounding them enables it has no relevance today.  

Again, you’re doing this “Perfect victim” bollocks. If a victim doesn’t have pics, it didn’t happen, if they do have pics, they’re either edited or it was a set up. If they have audio, it was a set up. 

Heard had absolutely loads of evidence, enough for a court to decide he abused her a dozen times. I read somewhere (unverified and unsourced so I’m not 100% of the accuracy) that the jury wasn’t sequestered. That’s incredible if true, although I wonder if that doesn’t happen in civil cases. 

Heard is apparently appealing the decision , I read a legal blog that suggested the whole thing has a possibility of being thrown out if appealed up to the Virginia Supreme Court due to the incredibly sketchy nature of filing the suit there. Honestly, I believe it’s more abusive behaviour from Depp filing there. He knew he could get it streamed for all to see and publicly humiliate her like he threatened to do. Absolute cunt of a man.