Depp v. Heard

neil

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wait a minute, you mean he didn’t???

What confuses me the most about this comment is that her biggest film role is Mera, a princess of an underwater kingdom that she lives in. Is she actually an Atlantean? Do underwater Kingdom exists? Does she know that the film is Edward Scissorhands not scissor fingers? Scissor fingers is what The Acclaimed use with Billy Gunn. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Isn't she just saying that the person she was up against is also not only a trained actor, but one that's particularly talented? And then responding to the widespread accusations that any time she was convincing at all was because she's an actor.

It's not the most eloquently phrased thing but come on lads, she's an abuse victim who's been absolutely raked over the coals in a high profile defamation case. Is there not room for a little bit of empathy?

She did also point out that the lawyers spent a lot of the court case saying she was a terrible actress and only got jobs because of Johnny approaching directors/studios. So they are accusing her of being a terrible actress and an amazing actress all at the same time.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

It's not the most eloquently phrased thing but come on lads, she's an abuse victim who's been absolutely raked over the coals in a high profile defamation case. Is there not room for a little bit of empathy?

In short, no. Empathy is in short supply, because like most things we see played out on social media these days, be it elections or whatever, you have to pick a side. And once you do, that is your own personal hill to die on.

There's no middle ground. You cannot admit that Heard was also abusive during the relationship without pitching yourself into the "Depp is 100% innocent" camp, and vice versa. 

Because admitting that both of them have some real issues, and that Depp is just as much, if not more of an abuser than he is the victim simply isn't on. 

It's like a fucking game show. Social media only deals in absolutes. You win, or you lose. And winning comes down to how convincing the TikTok snippet videos and memes are. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

In short, no. Empathy is in short supply, because like most things we see played out on social media these days, be it elections or whatever, you have to pick a side. And once you do, that is your own personal hill to die on.

There's no middle ground. You cannot admit that Heard was also abusive during the relationship without pitching yourself into the "Depp is 100% innocent" camp, and vice versa. 

Because admitting that both of them have some real issues, and that Depp is just as much, if not more of an abuser than he is the victim simply isn't on. 

It's like a fucking game show. Social media only deals in absolutes. You win, or you lose. And winning comes down to how convincing the TikTok snippet videos and memes are. 

Agreed on that. I honestly don't feel Depp is innocent. But in this interview Amber admits to being physically abusive, though in retaliation. So regardless of what scarf you wear, they both were to an extent abusive, but to what extent is what no one can agree on because we won't ever know. But to @Jesse I thought the comment was absurdist. Especially as she will have prepared for the interview and had the questions known in advance, and as she lived it, would know the type of questions which would be asked in response. It was met to be a silly response to a silly answer, that was all.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, David said:

I think that's bollocks, though. Outside of the Depp die-hards, "they both seem as bad as each other" is probably the opinion I've seen the most, even if it comes more from people feeling the need to say something on the case without actually having anything to add, rather than the nuanced centrism some seem to think it is.

It seems broadly true - neither seems like someone I'd have round to my Mam's house, but only one has had the way they behaved in court micro-analysed and scrutinised for signs of her "performing", and only one has, as far as we know, had hefty sums of money spent on social media campaigns discrediting them. So even if they are as bad as each other, and both abusive (but also, therefore, both victims of abuse to varying degrees), there's still a broader issue in exactly who had a vested interest in the case.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So regardless of what scarf you wear, they both were to an extent abusive, but to what extent is what no one can agree on because we won't ever know.

This can't be true, if Depp was the victim of abuse surely he'd have gone to the police.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But in this interview Amber admits to being physically abusive, though in retaliation. So regardless of what scarf you wear, they both were to an extent abusive, but to what extent is what no one can agree on because we won't ever know. 

I'm not convinced this is a great way to look at it. When a victim of abuse retaliates, it doesn't seem fair to go 'well, they're both the same, so it's all a matter of opinion'. The idea that, if you're being hit, then hitting back makes you as bad doesn't sit well to me. Abusive behaviour normalises abusive behaviour.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

. Is there not room for a little bit of empathy?

I’ve been on her side throughout as it were. It was the oddness of the comment that got me. It doesn’t change my belief that Depp physically and mentally abused her, continues to DARVO her, and my hope that she has all the emotional support she clearly will need. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm not convinced this is a great way to look at it. When a victim of abuse retaliates, it doesn't seem fair to go 'well, they're both the same, so it's all a matter of opinion'. The idea that, if you're being hit, then hitting back makes you as bad doesn't sit well to me. Abusive behaviour normalises abusive behaviour.

That was poorly worded. I didn't mean one isn't worse then the other, I was trying to suggest it was an abusive relationship for both parties. Doesn't really matter who was more violent. She allegedly cut his finger off, he allegedly did the worst crime you can in a relationship. I was trying to highlight that her truth is that she only acted in retaliation, his truth is that it was unprovoked. One of those truths must be real. Also, just to clarify, attacking in retaliation is in no way as bad as being attacked, you should have the right to protect yourself in whatever way you can.

I have a friend of a friend who was attacked by her boyfriend. Hitting her with a gun, her brother wrestled him to the ground, the gun went of and the boyfriend was dead. I don't think he was wrong, or he intended to kill him, he was trying to protect his sister. How he will be judged (this is in Detroit so I have no idea) shouldn't be he murdered him, it was in self defence.  

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Does she know that the film is Edward Scissorhands not scissor fingers? Scissor fingers is what The Acclaimed use with Billy Gunn. 

The character literally has scissors for fingers.  A scissor is an individual blade, he has one on each finger.

What you have in your house normally is called a “pair of scissors” as there are two of them.

So she’s correct, and you’ve learnt something today!

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Loki said:

The character literally has scissors for fingers.  A scissor is an individual blade, he has one on each finger.

What you have in your house normally is called a “pair of scissors” as there are two of them.

So she’s correct, and you’ve learnt something today!

This forum is nothing if not educational

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve been on her side throughout as it were. It was the oddness of the comment that got me. It doesn’t change my belief that Depp physically and mentally abused her, continues to DARVO her, and my hope that she has all the emotional support she clearly will need. 

Facts don’t care what you think. Johnny got justice. Anyway just incase you didn’t know, she’s not gonna sh*g you mate.

White Knighting lives on in 2022

Edited by Ultimate Hitman