Depp v. Heard

neil

• Moderators

I'm a bit late to this ongoing court case, and I'd only seen bits and pieces about them rowing, her alleging abuse etc. Recently seen a huge uptick in posts online on twitter/instagram basically just saying #freedepp and calling her a bitch. I assumed that this was the usual case of blokes defending blokes, boo hoo cancel culture, etc and there seems to be a conspiracy aspect to this, bots online protecting Depp, her allegedly shitting on the bed, all sorts of madness.

The most reasoned take I've seen is that there was "mutual abuse", as fucked up as a term that is, between them.

• Paid Members

There was audio and video released a few years back of Amber Heard admitting to some of the attacks to Johnny Depp. There is also allegations she stole a victim’s Me Too story and claimed it as her own. The whole affair is messy on both sides and while, based on what I’ve seen so far, I think he’s innocent of abuse to Amber Heard, but I think they were both guilty of being in an extremely toxic relationship. My understanding though is the court case is just about an article she wrote saying he was a wife beater without naming him explicitly.

As mentioned in the “Worst Fandoms” thread, Depp fans are fucking nuts. I’m not sure what they want from this, for it to say she hit him so he hit her back? For her to get sacked from a film and him reinstated to another?

The best thing was making out Big Kev cucked Depp. The only other redeeming feature in all this is #MePoo. A meeting of abuse and poo is the most UKFF hashtag possible

• Paid Members

Most of my FB friends are women (what can I say, I’m a chick magnet), so there are a lot of postings on the trial.  Every single one of them seem to be pro Johnny Depp in this matter.  Several of them have been victims of domestic abuse themselves.

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think the fact it’s a rare high profile case about domestic violence to a man rather than from a man, with the added fame factor of one of the biggest actors in Hollywood as the victim is what’s making this so high profile. 

And yet all his weird fans either forget or don’t care that Depp is a horrible abusive prick himself and has been for decades. But of course saying that means you’re siding with Heard and not rationally thinking they’re both really horrible people who had a horrible relationship. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And yet all his weird fans either forget or don’t care that Depp is a horrible abusive prick himself and has been for decades. But of course saying that means you’re siding with Heard and not rationally thinking they’re both really horrible people who had a horrible relationship. 

That’s interesting, I’ve never heard examples of that, and both Ryder and Paradis came out defending him saying he was never abusive. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just saying I’d not heard it. 

Amber Heard was arrested for domestic assault against one of her girlfriends a year or so before she met Johnny Depp which again doesn’t mean she abused him, but she has history.

• Paid Members

I think this entire saga has been almost as tedious as Will Smith and Chris Rock. I just hope the end result is that they both go away and never act in anything again because they're both shit.

• Paid Members

yeah, the only people I've seen commenting on this are weird die-hard Johnny Depp fans, all female, who are 100% on his side and believe he must be completely innocent and Amber Heard is a monster. She may well be, but there's just a complete failure to grasp that Depp has been accused of all manner of abusive behaviour too, some of which has been through the courts before now, and he has a history of obnoxious, violent behaviour when he's drunk and on drugs, which seems to be most of the time. 

But nah, he's the funny man from the pirate movies/lovely boy from the Tim Burton goth films, he can do no wrong. 

Let's not forget that a court in London already found that Depp was a wifebeater - and the standard required in a UK civil case is higher than the US, where Depp will have to prove that it isn't true (as opposed to The Sun proving it was).

I suspect the violence went both ways, and they both seem to be really unhinged, but of course online the vast, vast bulk of the abuse is heaped on the woman.

Personally, with no particular evidence I've always thought Depp looked like a wrong'un.  I suspect he'll fail in this case as he did in the UK one.

They both seem like two absolute nightmares who were the worst thing for each other locked in a toxic relationship. 

She has admitted to hitting him and other stuff, while he would frequently take drugs and drink alcohol to the point of blacking out and was texting his mates about ways he'd like to ('jokingly') kill her. 

Nobody is going to come out of the trial looking good and I reckon Depp will probably fail this time, like he did in the UK.

Watching videos of them testifying in court, it's also obvious that both are very much 'performing' to some extent (who woulda thunk it?) and it all feels very 'he said, she said' at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, Loki said:

the standard required in a UK civil case is higher than the US

Is it? Or am I thinking about libel? I remember the cave rescue guy who Elon Musk called a paedo, he’d have won his case if he went for it here but would’ve got a bigger settlement in the US so brought it there. But in the US he had to prove that he had lost earnings and suffered reputation damage whereas here the onus was on Musk to prove his statement was true.