1PW Returns

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I'd never have seen half of those talents without those shows (Sabu, Styles, Abyss, Jarrett, Joe etc).

You should have gone to the first TNA tour, great fun shows they were.

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Most of these sound like Pro Wrestling Eve shows where the show starts late as normal and instead of having 5 advertised matches with a respectable end time, they add an extra couple of hours on where the couple who run the shows try to get themselves over with shitty stand up routines.

I don't think "the couple" have done a stand up bit since long before the pandemic started. I do remember 1 show, ages and ages ago, which started late and had an overly long stand up bit but that was also the last time they did that routine. Post pandemic they had a different ring announcer until a few shows ago and haven't done a stand up bit for ages. They don't even have a burlesque act anymore. 

You're right about the shows often starting late though. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Vamp said:

You're right about the shows often starting late though

It used to feel like one of the pillars of proper bollocks britwres shows aimed at the likes of us; start late, end even later and if you can have at least one import talent pull out leading to a shoot promo.

5 hours ago, Vamp said:

I don't think "the couple" have done a stand up bit since long before the pandemic started. I do remember 1 show, ages and ages ago, which started late and had an overly long stand up bit but that was also the last time they did that routine. Post pandemic they had a different ring announcer until a few shows ago and haven't done a stand up bit for ages. They don't even have a burlesque act anymore. 

You're right about the shows often starting late though. 

I went to one of their shows last month and instead of the advertised finish time of 10pm there was still 3 matches to go because Dann Read decided he wanted to do stand up before and halfway during the show.

It was also a Wednesday night, with a meet and greet after the show…

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

the utterly bizarre attempt to run in Liverpool.

Fucking hell, there’s a show I block out.

15 hours ago, Tommy! said:

You should have gone to the first TNA tour, great fun shows they were.

Absolutely. I went to three out of the four and they were probably the best house shows I ever saw. Everyone had their working boots on, especially the three Motor City Machine Guns matches were superb, and personally I was happy to see Kong vs Kim at the peak of that particular rivalry.

15 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

My only real personal memory of 1PW was working the merch table at one of them and Kid Kash introduced himself to me as Dave and then battered the camera woman.

Ah, fond memories of another 1PW story. One week before All Or Nothing (2006) I saw Spud wrestle in a pub near my family home, having attended only because I was friends/working with a big chunk of Dave Moralez/Mastiff’s family and they were going to watch him do “his wrestling thing.” After the show Spud had signed a few photos for the kids and generally was unwinding so I struck up a conversation with him during which he said “Mate, call me James, I’m just like you” which was funny. I bought him a pint, he offered me a cig, my young mate bought three bags of scratchings and we chatted 1PW and his constant getting thrown around by Abyss. I then did probably the dorkiest thing I’ve ever done, where I sketched out the bracket for the title tournament, right down to Abyss beating AJ in the final (in my head, so they could build a rematch) and asked Spud to tell me if I’d got it 100% right or not. He said “I can’t do that!” then when he glanced at my predictions just laughed and said “… well, you’re not far wrong.” I’d find out a week later that I wasn’t wrong at all, in any respect, about the winner of any match.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Matt Cardona is publicly calling out 1PW for not paying him as agreed before promoting his upcoming appearance. 
Gauntley is always gonna Gauntley. 

Unless I get my payment that I was promised before this match was advertised today, this match isn’t happening. Sorry fans.

• Paid Members
On 4/25/2023 at 6:33 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

the utterly bizarre attempt to run in Liverpool

On 4/26/2023 at 12:37 PM, air_raid said:

Fucking hell, there’s a show I block out.

16 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

Matt Cardona is publicly calling out 1PW for not paying him as agreed before promoting his upcoming appearance. 

........... and there it is!

For those who don't know - the show started dramatically late, like over an hour after planned bell time, after repeated announcements that we should take our seats and the show was about to start. Eventually it did, minus one of the announced names, Val Venis, who if I recall correctly had pulled out and not even flown over. Turns out that most of the talent hadn't been paid and it was literally going off backstage as to whether anyone was going to go out and wrestle or not given there was a paid crowd there but it was up in the air as to whether they'd ever receive the money owed to them. The matches that actually went on, a couple of them were pretty good, including my first look at Kris Travis who I'd become pretty keen on later, and Noam Dar, who came across as a cocky 16 year old AJ Styles cosplayer. Unfortunately the imports that sold me my ticket was Beer Money Inc and they were booked against 1PW tag champs Fight Club, for my least favourite trope in BritWres - book yourself into a corner by doing a title match with your title holder(s) against outsiders that might not be coming back any time soon.... all together now, DQ FINISH! By the time Nigel vs Lionheart started, we were all knackered. But I'd say the wrestlers had it worse, going out and hurting themselves without knowing if they were doing it for free or not.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

For me Clive 1PW can go and fuck itself. I've been a wrestling fan for a very long time, always supported show close to me, and this is 7 miles from my house, yet I wouldn't go if I was given a free ticket. Any goodwill Gauntley had disappeared long, long ago. 

• Paid Members

I was, understandably, wary of this 1PW reboot, but they seemed to have done well so far. When they first announced their comeback, I had to be talked out of messaging a couple of people who had been booked and telling them to make sure they got paid up-front. I gave them a chance, they seem to have done okay, but I've been in no hurry to buy a ticket or anything.

This is definitely the first crack to show, but I doubt it's the only issue - how many wrestlers without the social media clout of Matt Cardona have been fucked around and not said anything publicly? I don't know who else is involved beyond Gauntley, but it's difficult to justify giving anyone trading under the 1PW name the benefit of the doubt.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't know who else is involved beyond Gauntley, but it's difficult to justify giving anyone trading under the 1PW name the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sure he rebooted it with the owner of BWR in Grimsby, which is surprising because BWR seemed to build up a great reputation and following.

• 4 weeks later...

So shenanigans start again.

The August show has been moved to October 28th and is now a double show day.

Tickets for the afternoon show are being carried over, so presumably still full price then 🙃

Edited by Tim R-T-C

• 1 month later...