Frankie Crisp

8 hours ago, KJHenley said:

Is that streaky bacon?

It is. Brexit put the kibosh on my only source of back bacon and you're fucked if you think that means I'm going to live without a fry-up. The sausages are also nothing like the traditional tubes of lips and arseholes that you'd get on a fry-up, but they'll do.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I attempted to get a fry up for breakfast when I was on honeymoon in Mexico. I was very confused and disappointed by what was brought to me. 

One of my mates used to come into my mums pub and order what he used to call the "full Mexican breakfast" which was my mum's all day breakfast with a bowl of chilli poured over the top. My mum can't afford to serve food at her pub anymore, which is a shame because she had really reasonable prices. 

When Mrs Jazzy was going through her cancer treatment we always used to get a breakfast from the cafe at the Christie, which was really nice. I used to confuse them by ordering veggie Sausages, but black pudding. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I love getting a fry-up from local cafes and bars because I get to see the look of horror on the server's face when I ask for the beans to be replaced with literally anything else. No space on my fry-up plate for bland ol' beans taking up valuable real estate.

If that's not enough to get me kicked out on my arse, asking for BBQ sauce instead of brown sauce or ketchup usually seals the deal. Obviously I'll begrudgingly take ketchup if no BBQ sauce is available because brown sauce is over-hyped English mush.

• Paid Members

That’s nothing, I’m a terrible picky eater so I literally only want bacon, sausage, black pudding, and a bread or potato product is fine too. Eggs, beans, tomato, mushrooms… disgusting.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, air_raid said:

That’s nothing, I’m a terrible picky eater so I literally only want bacon, sausage, black pudding, and a bread or potato product is fine too. Eggs, beans, tomato, mushrooms… disgusting.

Good call on the tomatoes! I'll usually settle for either no beans or no tomatoes because I don't want too many cigarette burns on my face, and is why I usually get the wife to order for me. A good man always hides behind his woman, and a better man will use his speech impediment as an excuse,

• Paid Members
Just now, Onyx2 said:

Why? You don't like pig eyelids but fine with blood?

I like the texture of veggie sausage.

I'm a really picky eater anyway. Always have been. I'm not a fan of steak, leg of lamb, chicken breast etc but don't have much of a problem with Mince, Sausages, burgers etc. If we could afford to I'd probably be a veggie, and apart from the occasional pepperoni pizza If I'm eating alone I'll tend to lean towards veggie stuff as a preference, but it's just cheaper and easier to eat meat when I'm cooking for myself and Mrs Jazzy. 

• Awards Moderator
Just now, jazzygeofferz said:

If we could afford to I'd probably be a veggie, and apart from the occasional pepperoni pizza If I'm eating alone I'll tend to lean towards veggie stuff as a preference, but it's just cheaper and easier to eat meat when I'm cooking for myself and Mrs Jazzy. 

You are shopping wrong if vegetable options are more expensive than meat. Though I guess if we're talking about processed vegetarian foods I imagine that's true purely through volumes of scale.

Batch cooking is probably your friend. Here's a great video by the great Atomic Shrimp on smart veg batch cooking (for soups, but the principle applies to other dishes):

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

You are shopping wrong if vegetable options are more expensive than meat. Though I guess if we're talking about processed vegetarian foods I imagine that's true purely through volumes of scale.

Batch cooking is probably your friend. Here's a great video by the great Atomic Shrimp on smart veg batch cooking (for soups, but the principle applies to other dishes):

I just mean in terms of getting a veggie option in for myself and a meaty option in for Mrs Jazzy. Atomic Shrimp is a great channel. I love his scam baiting. 

3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I love getting a fry-up from local cafes and bars because I get to see the look of horror on the server's face when I ask for the beans to be replaced with literally anything else. No space on my fry-up plate for bland ol' beans taking up valuable real estate.

If that's not enough to get me kicked out on my arse, asking for BBQ sauce instead of brown sauce or ketchup usually seals the deal. Obviously I'll begrudgingly take ketchup if no BBQ sauce is available because brown sauce is over-hyped English mush.

This is something that used to irk me when I worked in hospitality. Should items such as beans be replaced from a meal or the only option simply be to not have it? I'm sure you're more reasonable but I've had customers ask for beans/egg to be replaced with extra bacon and others who simply want to rebuild a menu. All looker shocked when you can't bend over backwards for them. 

Been a long time since I've had a proper fry up now. I do my best which usually involves bacon, sausage (not British) egg, tomatoes. Occasionally I'll get a hash brown but everything else is impossible or sold in such large quantities it's not worth it as the wife doesn't eat it. She's not British and doesn't get the fry up at all to the point if the authorities found out she'd never get another British visa. Crimes include wanting her tomatoes uncooked, needing to have cucumber, cooking her eggs to oblivion and dipping the whole catastrophy in horrific orange colored chilli ketchup. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

There’s absolutely nothing about a fry up I don’t like and will have everything on offer. I find black pudding to be the item most places skip on

The one exception I have is the grilled tomato (or even worse - tinned). Agree that black pudding used to be hard to find, but seemed to have a bit of a comeback and could be found at most places.

• Paid Members

I was recently tipped off by a friend that a Garden Centre outside of Norwich does a very decent fry up, so I headed out there today to try it out.

It did not disappoint.

IMG_2998.thumb.jpg.6f193b368f43032909ed20ed9cafeebe.jpg

Pros - 

2 of everything. This is the bare minimum portion wise for me. One sausage, one bacon? No thanks. That ain't gonna fill me up

Everything was cooked perfectly. A rare thing for a fry up I find. It's a difficult beast to manage in a kitchen, and bringing it all together perfectly is no mean feat in a busy cafe. The eggs especially were perfect. Runny without being undercooked.

Decent quality ingredients. Right in the sweet spot of not too posh, not too cheap and nasty. The sausages were a particular highlight.

Nice big plate - Give me room to work with. I need a Dad Plate. No some poxy tiny thing that can't hold all the food (looking at you Morrisons Cafe)

The beans were not too wet - Beans are essential on a fry up for me. I need the lube. But I don't like too much bean juice slopping around. These were perfect, so no ramikin required.

Price - £9. On the more expensive side, but with it ticking so many boxes and food generally being more expensive these days it seemed reasonable.

Nothing green on the plate.

Served til 3pm. This is a huge plus point. I hate having to get to somewhere before 10am to have a fry up. All day is best, but I really want it between 12-12.30.

Cons - 

1 slice of toast. Not enough, I need 1 slice to eat with the fry up, and then another to mop up at the end.

No tea or coffee included in the price - this should be standard with every fry up. No excuse.

No black pudding - I can forgive this as I know it's not something most people have, but it's the sort of thing that can edge a fry up from a 9.5 to a perfect 10.

Overall I'm gonna say 9/10. Another slice of toast, free tea and a slice of black pudding would give it a perfect 10.

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

When I was in Uni my housemate and his girlfriend made us an Ulster Fry for breakfast one Sunday. They pretty much used every pan in the house somehow and made far too much food for us all, which was a shame as loads of it went to waste. It was quite nice though.