Classical music

Tommy!

• Paid Members

I'm just looking for recommendations really, but hopefully they'll be some general chat as well. 

I'm looking for a good version of Mozarts Requiem on CD or vinyl, any recommendations. Also if there is anything else that's worth picking up I'd like to hear about it. 

• Paid Members

I'm not the most cultured or knowledgeable person you'll ever meet on the subject of classical music (bar movie scores and the like), and this recommendation will most certainly give the classical aficionado's among us here a nervous twitch, but by jays, The Planets by Holst. It has so, so much to offer and 'Mars' is  an absolute hair on the necker backer stander upper. The whole thing really is a magnificent journey. 

There are cues peppered through the whole suite that you'll recognise as being lifted and ripped off from it  through movie scores and the like. 

That's really all I have to offer on the subject. OH, oh, I also like Piano Sonata No 12 in A Major, because it's what I always hum at a furious pace when I'm late for something and in a rush. 

• Paid Members

I've been putting together a playlist over the years which is more or less classical musical. It started with an obsession with the Skyrim soundtrack and then I started adding classical/original music from other games, movies and TV shows. Then I started adding classical pieces I liked and philharmonic versions of pop songs. It's nice and relaxing for when I'm working, especially in the morning. I've started to listen to Classic FM too, especially with Alexander Armstrong presenting.

This is one of my favourite pieces from my playlist:

Great shout for The Planets, Branquey. They used to play that to death at primary school for us- we'd have to act to it, perform interpretive dance to it, all sorts. I swear it was the only record they had. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I'm just looking for recommendations really, but hopefully they'll be some general chat as well. 

I'm looking for a good version of Mozarts Requiem on CD or vinyl, any recommendations. Also if there is anything else that's worth picking up I'd like to hear about it. 

It’s a cliché but Beethovens 9th is the finest music ever!!!! A good place to start is compilation albums or playlists. You’ll get a feel for what you like and go from there. Give this a go, and the annual Classic FM  top 100 might do the trick too. 

• Paid Members

I don't have a clue about classical music and my favourite classic pieces are The Lark Ascending and Vivaldi's Four Seasons, which is more than a bit basic. They are bangers though. I'd like to listen to more, but I don't really know where to start or if I'm honest, have much inclination. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

You want some moody, atmospheric music for when you stride around your castle on a stormy night, like a noir inspired perfume advert? 

Originally in D minor, it was moved up to E minor to avoid an inadvertent national day of mourning.

• Paid Members

Handel's Water Music (not just the famous "Hornpipe" section, the whole thing) is one of my favourites, as is Sibelius' Karelia suite.

In terms of sheer emotion, my absolute favourite is Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez

Great shout for Saint-Saens earlier, his March Of The Animals is a lot of fun, especially the Lion's section. 

There are a couple of modern pieces that also come to mind - Green's Leaves by the not-very-classical-sounding Chilly Gonzales:

and Evening of Roses by Sheku Kanneh-Mason:

• Paid Members

@Scott MalbranqueI love The Planets. I remember my then girlfriend's parents reacting to a young, mohawked Jazzy saying I wish I'd known they were going to see a performance of it in Hyde Park so I could have gone as well. Have you heard the Japanese Synth version by Isao Tomita? It's very interesting. Tomita has done a lot of arrangements of great classical pieces. 

I love Beethoven's seventh, probably because I remember the second movement playing under the Doug Stanhope bits on Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. The whole thing is really good, though. 

I went through a phase of listening to some musique concrete during the first lockdown. The one that stuck with me was Stockhausen's Quartet for four helicopters. The 20th century stuff can get very far out sometimes. 

Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue is a great one as well. We stick it on the jukebox at my Mum's as it's good value for money. 

I just saw a poster at the bus stop for a series of concerts by the BBC Philharmonic at Bridgewater Hall which look like they could be interesting. There are a couple of nights where they're playing some of the works of Vaughan Williams, and I think this weekend is Dvorak amongst a few others. More information at https://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/series/bbc-philharmonic/

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Ah, forgot to include: Mike Oldfield's Music Of The Spheres. He'd said in interviews that he wanted to do a classical album for a long time, and he produced this. It's got his signature, Tubular Bells-style loop at the beginning (violins), but the whole thing is quite epic. 

The Planets suite lost a lot of impact as Holst was a local composer growing up so overplayed to the point of ridiculousness. 

Mars still kicks arse, mind. 

I always thought Battle in the Air from the Battle of Britain took inspiration from that, though maybe the only one. 

You've then got other film classics such as Gabriel's Oboe 

And even video games getting in on the act. 

In terms of immersion Two Set Violin are great for getting started. 

As for classic, classical stuff. 

Peer Gynt