Classical music

Tommy!

• Paid Members

Good shout on Morricone - first tune of his I ever heard was Chi Mai:

Always thought Aaron Copland's Fanfare For The Common Man should've been a wrestler entrance theme:

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Good shout on Morricone

Part of why I initially asked, and thank you for recommendations to everyone, is because when I'm working on something (rare as it is these days) I like some music on i can listen to but not disturb me and I found requiem and the below on YouTube. 

I believe it's part of a set covering a number of his film works, which I'm hoping to pick up if it's not too pricey. 

Also didn't someone use a version of fanfare as an entrance in the 80s? It's saved in my "wrestling music" folder from xylot themes before it got shut down. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Part of why I initially asked, and thank you for recommendations to everyone, is because when I'm working on something (rare as it is these days) I like some music on i can listen to but not disturb me and I found requiem and the below on YouTube. 

I believe it's part of a set covering a number of his film works, which I'm hoping to pick up if it's not too pricey. 

I wasn't going to post it because I thought it might take this thread more down a film soundtrack route, but for me (and I know @Chris B would've been the first to mention it normally) the best track from that film is Ecstasy of Gold and probably Morricone's finest piece, even if TGTBATU is more famous:

2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Also didn't someone use a version of fanfare as an entrance in the 80s? It's saved in my "wrestling music" folder from xylot themes before it got shut down. 

Good idea if they did - my wrestling knowledge isn't as extensive as others', so I'll take your word for it.

• Paid Members
On 1/31/2022 at 10:33 PM, gmoney said:

I don't have a clue about classical music and my favourite classic pieces are The Lark Ascending and Vivaldi's Four Seasons, which is more than a bit basic. They are bangers though. I'd like to listen to more, but I don't really know where to start or if I'm honest, have much inclination. 

Four Seasons is gorgeous. My partner and I visited Venice a few years back, and ended up going to 'Vivaldi's church', where he lived and composed for a while (during his time as a priest),. They regularly perform his music there, so we got tickets to see a string quartet playing Four Seasons. 

20180610_204207.thumb.jpg.329170517dce6d76dd9995fc27fc6970.jpg

I stumbled across this Shostakovich piano piece during music A level. We weren’t studying keyboard music but we had the CD set containing recordings of pieces from the other modules on it, so rather than listen to the ones we were supposed to be studying, I was listening to everything else. I still think it’s the most beautiful piano piece I’ve ever heard. 

On 2/2/2022 at 3:08 PM, hallicks said:

I stumbled across this Shostakovich piano piece during music A level. We weren’t studying keyboard music but we had the CD set containing recordings of pieces from the other modules on it, so rather than listen to the ones we were supposed to be studying, I was listening to everything else. I still think it’s the most beautiful piano piece I’ve ever heard. 

That's a lovely bit of music. 

I was going to add this the other day. It's from an old friend (used to manage one of his old bands MySpace pages back in the day). He's a gloriously talented man, accomplished guitarist and drummer as well. 

Also not sure if Classical guitar type thing was in the remit, but heard this the other day and thought was stunning. 

And finally Two Set Violin discussing 10 bits of Classical music everyone should know. 

• Paid Members

Currently listening to one of my favourite albums ever - Vangelis' El Greco. A dramatic and grandiose work - if someone were to do a film set in the Byzantine empire, this is how I'd imagine the soundtrack would be:

It's all gorgeous, but one of my favourite parts is Movement VII: