Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Latest perfectly acceptable daytime quiz show, The Finish Line. They’ve even had two wrestling questions in the last couple of days. The podiums they stand on move as they race to the titular finish line and it cracks me up. They should stick antenna on them though and call it Battle Snails. 

And Sarah Greene is spot on in the Richard Osman (Ossy to his mates) role. 

I got into this a lot last year while recovering from my knee injury, it’s a good quiz show, certainly better than Tenable anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
52 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Spent most of today building a rather large Warhammer model. Felt accomplished when I finished it, still got another one to go!

A Titan?

• Paid Members

Been having a bit of a shit time lately, not any one thing in particular just a few things going on at once. Got up today not expecting anything for Father’s Day other than the usual card off my wife that the kids have quickly scribbled their names in. 

Came downstairs today to find my 10 year old daughter had gone to the trouble of making me a card herself and had insisted on spending her own money she’d saved up to buy me a bottle of rum (she had to send her mum to the shops to get that, obviously) and a few goodies and sweets I like. Gave me a big smile and a bear hug even 1991 Warlord would’ve described as a bit snug. I’ll be making sure she gets that money back one way or another but just the fact she put the time and thought into it really cheered me up and gave me a big lift when I needed it. 

In contrast, my boy’s gonna be 6 in a few weeks and he’s already a proper little bloke. He came up with a fist bump and gave me a quick bro hug, then bid me a Happy Father’s Day and he was back off to finish his cereal. 

• Paid Members
On 6/15/2024 at 6:14 PM, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Spent most of today building a rather large Warhammer model. Felt accomplished when I finished it, still got another one to go!

I saw a video the other day of a guy who'd built an Imperator Titan in 40k scale, and it was 7' tall. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't really like Queen but this clip always makes me smile.

He was brilliant.

Queen by osmosis of hearing them so much as a kid are my favourite band and I've been binging a few documentaries recently. Obviously this Live Aid performance is an incredible bit of business, but they were bloody lucky. 8 months before this they played a run of shows at Sun City in apartheid South Africa and they were lucky it didn't all go completely to shit. An incredibly stupid move on their part and they were rightly pilloried for it. The Live Aid performance didn't really revive Queen as a dying act, it kind of washed away more the sour taste they gave for performing somewhere that was essentially blacklisted. 

The misconception of Queen is that it's just Freddie and some other lads and did he really need them. Answer is he really did, because his solo stuff isn't much to shout about and the ever forgotten John Deacon wrote some of their absolutely finest singles.

Also Roger Taylor is an incredibly underrated interview. He's extremely dry and has a lovely raspy voice to him. I also love his dogged defence of writing a song as ludicrous as 'I'm in Love with My Car.'

Edited by Chili
Told my girl I had to forget her, rather get me a new carburetor

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Also Roger Taylor is an incredibly underrated interview. He's extremely dry and has a lovely raspy voice to him. I also love his dogged defence of writing a song as ludicrous as 'I'm in Love with My Car.'

His solo albums and ones with The Cross are decent too.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

The misconception of Queen is that it's just Freddie and some other lads and did he really need them.

I absolutely love Queen but never really rated Brian* as a guitarist until I realised how many people he's influenced. If Nuno thinks you're ok I'm not going to argue. I regularly watch them live in Montreal, Budapest and the Rainbow and there's no question the band is more than the sum of its parts, even though Freddie is one of those parts!

*Don't call him Brian